The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipwich

Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2020, 07:27:38 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2020, 07:20:17 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 15, 2020, 07:15:18 PM
Chipwich and Raz: don't shoot the dude with the taser. I get it if you are alone, but not if you have backup.

OK, dude has not been shot.  What next?

Tell him to put the taser down.

what happens if he doesn't?

DGuller

Are some here seriously arguing that there is no way to disarm a suspect with a taser by multiple cops on the scene without shooting him? :unsure:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 15, 2020, 10:11:34 PM
Are some here seriously arguing that there is no way to disarm a suspect with a taser by multiple cops on the scene without shooting him? :unsure:

No one is arguing that.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 15, 2020, 10:19:19 PM

No one is arguing that.
So why are some people here getting a pop quiz on police tactics?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 15, 2020, 10:20:32 PM
So why are some people here getting a pop quiz on police tactics?

A pop quiz, as in the answer is already known by the person asking, and the counterpart's knowledge is being tested?  I don't see that either.

If this is a roundabout way of responding to "what next," then we should proceed on that basis.

chipwich

I don't actually know.

Syt

How do tasers work these days? Don't you have to reload or prime them again after firing?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

I'm not sure how exactly you would handle a man who has potential to temporarily disable one cop out of many on the scene.  I'm pretty sure that it doesn't warrant preemptive summary execution, however, and I'm not sure why that would be the default stance in the minds of some.

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2020, 07:02:19 PM
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

Camden 10th most dangerous city. I guess that's something so, good job Camden.  :rolleyes:
It has a police force, the title is pure clickbait.  It dismantled its police force and rebuilt it from the ground up.  It has problems, it's not perfect, but in their case it's working and it warrants further studies/experiments.  I don't see this working for a city the size of New York, but maybe there are some things that can be adapted.

And look at the intro:
a different scene was playing out in what was once the most dangerous city in the United States.
I'd say going from #1 to #10 is a good thing, and it warrants investigation to see if it was the contributing factor, one factore among many, etc, etc.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2020, 08:37:28 PM
Generally I think the recent phenonemon of the police transitioning to black gear from blue was far more problematic. I guess maybe 11B4V was suggesting that the masks made them all look like white oppressors I don't know.
As I'm sure the rules are similar in the US to what they are here, you don't just wake up one morning and decide to buy a bunch of masks for your entire police force.  There are rules about buying stuff, that means long delays and most likely a public bidding process.

I'm pretty sure the process had begun a while ago, before the recent waves of protests, and I'm sure no one though about it.
Now, if you want an example of tone deaf-itude, look at New Brunswick Premier. Last week, a young 1st nation woman was shot dead by a police officer.  This week-end, a young 1st nation man was shot dead, it would appear he was suffering from mental illness, charge the officers, they tried to subdue him, even with a taser, but nothing worked, so he was shot dead.  His answer to this: "Police should shoot in the legs instead of shooting to kill".

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/wnnb-wolastoqey-chiefs-call-premiers-comments-insensitive-cruel-chantel-mmoore-death-1.5610189

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2020, 12:30:46 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master/slave_(technology)

It seems like many have already moved on? :unsure:
It used to be a thing with IDE drives.  SATA has replaced the standards many years ago and we don't use it in modern hardware anymore.  In software, the databases I have seen refers to parent/child, but I'm not knowledgeable enough in all areas of coding to determine the veracity of his point.

viper37

Quote from: Zoupa on June 15, 2020, 02:41:23 AM
Wow. Well I'm never going back to the US. You guys have a real problem.
The way it's going, I don't think the border will open anytime soon.

viper37

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on June 15, 2020, 08:46:47 AM
The bum on the bus bench was a tragic, but probably legitimate shooting. He had a gun, he reached for it when they told him to keep his hands clear, and they had reason to believe he was armed and a danger to others (several people had called in and said he was pointing a handgun at people).

Of course, it turned out to be a fucking BB gun made to look like a real gun (THAT should be fucking illegal right there), but you can't wait until he actually blows you away so you can be sure that a gun designed to look just like a deadly gun, is in fact a deadly gun.
Shooting once is one thing.  Shooting 15 rounds for a (possible) handgun he wasn't waiving in the direction of the officers is another.  If they had handguns instead of the rifles, they might have been alble to shoot him in a non lethal way, maybe shoot in the shoulder, I don't really know.  There's got to be something else than shooting everyone with some form of mental illness :(

The Brain

How often do American cops use warning shots?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.