The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Are wedding dresses white power statements as well? What about doctors wearing these white gowns?

Was the Waffen SS actually pro race equality?

Come on.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 12, 2020, 03:38:02 PM
I really don't see the big deal.  Basic white. 

Wow, harsh. Just because you don't agree with him does t mean you have to call him a basic white.

:P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on June 12, 2020, 04:37:47 PM

Most other times, you are correct. Right now? A little tone (ha!) deaf.
Horrible. I'm sure George Floyd would have felt better if the police officer choking him  had had a black mask.

Please, let's not get carried away.  It's just a stupid mask.  No matter the color, some people are going to find it offensive.

You guys are going way too far on this whole outrage thing:
Tech industry has an ugly master-slave problem

The tech industry should also commit to barring master/slave terminology in all future software — and hardware. The outdated convention is not just a software problem. Hard drives, depending on how they are used, are often categorized into masters and slaves. The large data storage company Seagate offers online help on how to "troubleshoot master/slave problems." If they haven't already done it, U.S. companies should start such troubleshooting now.

Many tech companies publicize their interest in hiring from underrepresented groups, but what signal do they send by using "master" and "slave" in their source code? The companies should redouble efforts to recruit black employees, set up tech training centers and offer free coding programs in black communities — and get rid of repellent terminology.

I'm sure it came to the mind of Ahmaud Arbery while he was fighting for his life "Dammit! If only Seagate hadn't used Master&slave for their drives 20 years ago, I wouldn't be in this mess today".  :roll:

[sigh].

Focus on the basics:
police brutality, to start with something.  Police brutality against blacks, hispanics, whites, reds, pinks, greens and blues.
unequal access to housing next, try avoiding all these ghettoes in modern cities, with modern highways enforcing some past racial divide line.
Once it's done, try your hands at solving the school problem you have.
After that, clean religion of your politics, so no one will claim God intended the White man to be the superior one.  That'll solve a lot of equality problems.
Once it's all being taken care of, you can think of shooting on sight anyone waiving a Confederate battle flage and dropping bombs on the statues.
And lastly, you can think of the color of masks, try to avoid pink (gay), black (cultural appropriation), brown (need I say why?), yellow (racist), red (Redskins was racist, so any red mask would be), white (duh, tone deaf anyday of the week!), blue (color of suffocation - you don't want to send the wrong message here), green (reserved for the tree huggers).  Anything else could be acceptable, but not rainbow, it's already used for something else.

Priorities people, priorities.  God did not make the Earth in 1 day, after all. Don't try to remake it as heaven in 1 day.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

The city that actually got rid of the police

QuoteThe reforms carry lessons for what it takes to transform the police in any city. They ultimately amounted to nothing less than a reboot of the culture of policing in Camden, changing the way every beat cop in the city did his or her job. And they also required enough political will at the top—all the way to the governor—to survive opposition from police unions and some residents. The case of Camden shows that if there's enough motivation to blow it all up and start over from both the top and the bottom, reforming a police force is achievable.
[...]
But nothing is as simple as it sounds in a tweet. While largely a success story, the overhaul was by no means a clear win for social-justice progressives who are driving the police-reform debate nationally. The Camden police reform was—and remains—politically divisive. In part that was because union contracts were thrown out, leaving many on the force earning a lower salary and with fewer benefits. And it required very strange bedfellows to succeed—an all-powerful Democratic machine, a Republican governor, conservative budget-cutters and progressive police thinkers, all aligned to break an established department and start over.
[...]
Without the restrictions of the union, proponents argued, more cops could be put on the streets of Camden, and hopefully, the city's deadly spiral could finally be stopped.
[...]
In May 2013, the Camden City Council approved resolutions that eliminated the city police department and established a new one under county control. The remaining city cops were all laid off and had to reapply to work with the county, under far less generous nonunion contracts.
[...]
Those who championed the disbandment of the department say the upheaval was critical to the department's ultimate success. Scott Thomson, the Camden police chief at the time, had locked horns with the police union for years over contracts and virtually "any type" of managerial decision, he says.

"I was able to do in three days what would normally take me three years to do," he said. "All of the barriers were removed. I was now driving on a paved road."

hmm... unions impeding changes for the better... how evil of Camden to disband a troublesome union! ;)

Less pay = more cops on the streets.  However, with less pay&benefits comes the high rotation of police officers who find better conditions elsewhere.

But I'm absolutely certain all progressive, especially all the supporters of AOC and the Bernie Bros will agree that disbanding a strong public union and reducing wages is for the best...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

So Camden has no police as the link text states...odd.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

Camden 10th most dangerous city. I guess that's something so, good job Camden.  :rolleyes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on June 12, 2020, 05:28:57 PM

Wow, harsh. Just because you don't agree with him does t mean you have to call him a basic white.

:P

:o

Still, one step up from powhite.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2020, 07:02:19 PM
https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/blog/top100dangerous

Camden 10th most dangerous city. I guess that's something so, good job Camden.  :rolleyes:

67 murders the last year of the union cops (2012), 23 in your expert neighborhood scout report.  So, indeed, good job, Camden.  :lol:

Plus, the force is twice as large, but had less than half the complaints of excessive use of force by police in 2017 than in 2012.

Still a lily-white force in a city with a 6% white population, though, so these improvements haven't made much of a difference in recruiting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: viper37 on June 12, 2020, 06:03:39 PM

The tech industry should also commit to barring master/slave terminology in all future software — and hardware. The outdated convention is not just a software problem. Hard drives, depending on how they are used, are often categorized into masters and slaves. The large data storage company Seagate offers online help on how to "troubleshoot master/slave problems." If they haven't already done it, U.S. companies should start such troubleshooting now.

Many tech companies publicize their interest in hiring from underrepresented groups, but what signal do they send by using "master" and "slave" in their source code? The companies should redouble efforts to recruit black employees, set up tech training centers and offer free coding programs in black communities — and get rid of repellent terminology.

I'm sure it came to the mind of Ahmaud Arbery while he was fighting for his life "Dammit! If only Seagate hadn't used Master&slave for their drives 20 years ago, I wouldn't be in this mess today".  :roll:

[sigh].

:bleeding: Good God!  :rolleyes:

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 12, 2020, 06:33:08 PM
hmm... unions impeding changes for the better... how evil of Camden to disband a troublesome union! ;)

Less pay = more cops on the streets.  However, with less pay&benefits comes the high rotation of police officers who find better conditions elsewhere.

But I'm absolutely certain all progressive, especially all the supporters of AOC and the Bernie Bros will agree that disbanding a strong public union and reducing wages is for the best...

Well it is nice somebody is trying something a little different. We need experiments out there if we are going to find solutions.

Obviously I don't think much of public sector Unions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Horrible. I'm sure George Floyd would have felt better if the police officer choking him  had had a black mask.

Generally I think the recent phenonemon of the police transitioning to black gear from blue was far more problematic. I guess maybe 11B4V was suggesting that the masks made them all look like white oppressors I don't know.

QuotePlease, let's not get carried away.  It's just a stupid mask.  No matter the color, some people are going to find it offensive.

Maybe. But it is not really about not offending people.

QuoteYou guys are going way too far on this whole outrage thing:

Somebody is always going write nonsense in papers and take things too far. I don't think 99% of the country is looking at the current sitaution is wringing their hands about the tech industry.

QuoteFocus on the basics:
police brutality, to start with something.  Police brutality against blacks, hispanics, whites, reds, pinks, greens and blues.
unequal access to housing next, try avoiding all these ghettoes in modern cities, with modern highways enforcing some past racial divide line.
Once it's done, try your hands at solving the school problem you have.
After that, clean religion of your politics, so no one will claim God intended the White man to be the superior one.  That'll solve a lot of equality problems.

Thank you for your input. Hey 11B4V was talking about law enforcement...interesting.

QuoteOnce it's all being taken care of, you can think of shooting on sight anyone waiving a Confederate battle flage and dropping bombs on the statues.

Dude it is not about you and quebec and separatism. Stop wringing your hands about it.

QuoteAnd lastly, you can think of the color of masks, try to avoid pink (gay), black (cultural appropriation), brown (need I say why?), yellow (racist), red (Redskins was racist, so any red mask would be), white (duh, tone deaf anyday of the week!), blue (color of suffocation - you don't want to send the wrong message here), green (reserved for the tree huggers).  Anything else could be acceptable, but not rainbow, it's already used for something else.

He was specifically talking about law enforcement uniforms. I don't get exactly where he was going with it but it was kind of related to the main issue.

QuotePriorities people, priorities.  God did not make the Earth in 1 day, after all. Don't try to remake it as heaven in 1 day.

Well this all started because a black man was murdered not because somebody waived a confederate flag. It is about law enforcement and the people do care about the most important things.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2020, 08:20:28 PM

[sigh].

And in the Washington Post. :bleeding:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2020, 08:20:28 PM

[sigh].

It's Yale. I don't think anyone takes Yale seriously anymore.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.