The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Kaeso

Quote from: Razgovory on June 09, 2020, 05:44:46 PM
So are we going to really get police reform in this country?  It feels like there is finally some momentum on that front.

The issue in the US (like in Switzerland to a certain degree) is that policing a rather local issue. Even if the democrats win both houses and the presidency, they can enact laws as long they don’t step too much over the toes of the states. They can ban certain practices like the chokehold and civil assets forfeiture but they will have little impact on who is on patrol, that’s a decision that is taken on the lower level. And 4 years can be long if the Unions decide to fight any changes… You need them onboard,

If the people want real changes and reform they must vote. Any reform which will be announced due to protests will be cosmetic and not change the underlying problems (social inequity mostly – lack of public funding) that fuel the police brutality. An Ethic charter can address some issues like the blue wall of silence, though it has some perverse effect and can reward “Blue Falcons”.

For real changes, you will need to look at recruitment, training and manpower management. Granted that’s mostly for large police departments but what is needed is to change the reason why some people apply and some don’t. Then look how people are promoted, if you reward solely on cases (arrests) you will reward to most aggressive officers. You need probably to have a salary scale that avoid poorer communities face difficulty to hire quality staff. Training should be longer and continuing education should be important allowing also officers and deputies to learn something else that may allow them to change career if needed.

As the great Spice Girls once asked : “So tell me what you want, what you really, really want”, and my reply will be, for a police reform, more money to be spent on better cops and less on sniper rifles.

garbon

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/06/10/christopher-columbus-statue-in-boston-beheaded-overnight/#7955adad4160

QuotePolice are investigating after a statue of Christoper Columbus on Boston's Atlantic Avenue was beheaded overnight, as a movement to remove statues commemorating slavers and colonizers continues to sweep across the world.

The statue in Boston's Christopher Columbus Waterfront park had its head cut off in the early hours of Wednesday, with images showing the head lying on the ground next to the monument.

It comes after protesters in Virginia tore down a Columbus statue, set it on fire and tossed it into Richmond's Byrd Park lake on Tuesday night.

The Italian explorer is credited as one of the first Europeans to come to the Americas, and is also associated with starting off centuries of European colonization and oppression of indigenous people.

There has been mounting backlash in recent years over the commemoration of Columbus Day, which some, including Native American communities, believe should be permanently renamed to Indigenous Peoples' Day.

Strange that they don't list anyone of the terrible things that Columbus did that could be why he's been targeted (just that he started colonization).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Good thing there are no historically important statues in the US. People going to town in Rome or Florence would be a real problem.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: The Brain on June 10, 2020, 07:12:42 AM
Good thing there are no historically important statues in the US.

The only one was destroyed in 1831.  :(

edit: And there's that kind of big one in New York harbor

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on June 10, 2020, 07:25:05 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 10, 2020, 07:12:42 AM
Good thing there are no historically important statues in the US.

The only one was destroyed in 1831.  :(

edit: And there's that kind of big one in New York harbor

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2020, 06:57:50 AM
https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabeltogoh/2020/06/10/christopher-columbus-statue-in-boston-beheaded-overnight/#7955adad4160

QuotePolice are investigating after a statue of Christoper Columbus on Boston's Atlantic Avenue was beheaded overnight, as a movement to remove statues commemorating slavers and colonizers continues to sweep across the world.

The statue in Boston's Christopher Columbus Waterfront park had its head cut off in the early hours of Wednesday, with images showing the head lying on the ground next to the monument.

It comes after protesters in Virginia tore down a Columbus statue, set it on fire and tossed it into Richmond's Byrd Park lake on Tuesday night.

The Italian explorer is credited as one of the first Europeans to come to the Americas, and is also associated with starting off centuries of European colonization and oppression of indigenous people.

There has been mounting backlash in recent years over the commemoration of Columbus Day, which some, including Native American communities, believe should be permanently renamed to Indigenous Peoples' Day.

Strange that they don't list anyone of the terrible things that Columbus did that could be why he's been targeted (just that he started colonization).

Columbus must have been drinking again and just lost his head.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: 11B4V on June 10, 2020, 07:47:15 AM

To be honest, while he was among the best sailors of his age, his tenure as Viceroy and governor was bad, even by the standards of his time.

11B4V

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 10, 2020, 07:59:52 AM

To be honest, while he was among the best sailors of his age, his tenure as Viceroy and governor was bad, even by the standards of time.

If course, off with head the mob says. Who's next guys.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 10, 2020, 07:59:52 AM

To be honest, while he was among the best sailors of his age, his tenure as Viceroy and governor was bad, even by the standards of time.

With Columbus everything he did besides navigating was extremely shady (I mean, he was even imprisoned in Spain after his 3rd expedition because of his mismanagement of Hispaniola and the atrocities he ordered as its governor), but his achievements as a navigator are undeniable.

Fun fact, Columbus' descendants were embroiled in a protracted legal battle with the Crown of Castille about the share of the profits from the Americas that they claimed were entitled to (10%, according to the original deal he made before the 1st expedition), which the Crown had voided after Columbus was removed as governor.

Tamas

If we go after Colombus there's really no reason to keep busts of Caesar, Alexander the Great, half the Plantagenet kings, any of the Ottoman sultans, Martin Luther (the 1500s one), etc.  untouched. Would be terrible double standards. And don't get me started about Washington and Jefferson owning slaves.

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on June 10, 2020, 08:19:08 AM
If we go after Colombus there's really no reason to keep busts of Caesar, Alexander the Great, half the Plantagenet kings, any of the Ottoman sultans, Martin Luther (the 1500s one), etc.  untouched. Would be terrible double standards. And don't get me started about Washington and Jefferson owning slaves.

Well I do think the purpose of the statues makes a difference. The point of Confederate statues is, usually, to celebrate the redemptionists and Jim Crow and therefore as a tool of political propaganda need to go. Those that exist for other reasons can stay. I don't know about any specific statue of Columbus.

I don't get the "double standards" idea. Were statues of Martin Luther put up to justify killing Jews or something?

But anyway who is we here? It is not like we took the head off of that statue.

Also how many busts of Caesar made within the last 1000 years are displayed anywhere? I don't think anybody is calling for ancient historical artifacts be destroyed just cheaply produced 19th century shit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

QuoteFun fact, Columbus' descendants were embroiled in a protracted legal battle with the Crown of Castille about the share of the profits from the Americas that they claimed were entitled to (10%, according to the original deal he made before the 1st expedition), which the Crown had voided after Columbus was removed as governor.
10% of the budgets of all the nations of the Americas?
Yes please.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 10, 2020, 08:22:35 AM
QuoteFun fact, Columbus' descendants were embroiled in a protracted legal battle with the Crown of Castille about the share of the profits from the Americas that they claimed were entitled to (10%, according to the original deal he made before the 1st expedition), which the Crown had voided after Columbus was removed as governor.
10% of the budgets of all the nations of the Americas?
Yes please.

I don't remember the exact wording, but it was basically one tenth of all the riches obtained from the exploration of the Americas, or somesuch. It ended up being settled in arbitration 30 years after Columbus' death, giving his descendants a fixed income by the Crown, besides other arrangements on other claimed privileges.