The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on June 05, 2020, 04:40:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2020, 03:07:43 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2020, 02:55:21 PM
"A few bad apples"

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/57-buffalo-cops-resign-to-support-suspended-officers-who-pushed-down-elderly-man/

Quote57 Buffalo cops resign to support suspended officers who pushed down elderly man

The entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team — a total of 57 officers — has resigned from the team in support of the two officers who pushed 75-year-old Martin Gugino to the ground, seriously injuring him.

They are still employed, but no longer on ERT.

According to Buffalo Police Benevolent Association president John Evans, the cops who pushed Gugino down were just following orders.

"Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders," Evans, said in a statement.

This is a developing story. Check WIVB4 for updates.

Jesus Christ. Talk about tone deaf. Circle the wagons!

Fuck them. They lack moral and ethical courage anyway. Moving on.

Actually since they just resigned from the team but are still employed, I think it's time for Buffalo to review how many of them it still needs in the roster.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2020, 06:17:05 PM
"A few bad apples"

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/57-buffalo-cops-resign-to-support-suspended-officers-who-pushed-down-elderly-man/

Quote57 Buffalo cops resign to support suspended officers who pushed down elderly man

The entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team — a total of 57 officers — has resigned from the team in support of the two officers who pushed 75-year-old Martin Gugino to the ground, seriously injuring him.

According to Buffalo Police Benevolent Association president John Evans, the cops who pushed Gugino down were just following orders.

"Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders," Evans, said in a statement.

Actually since they just resigned from the team but are still employed, I think it's time for Buffalo to review how many of them it still needs in the roster.

Agree
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: 11B4V on June 05, 2020, 06:22:13 PM
"A few bad apples"

Agree

durka

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Zoupa on June 05, 2020, 04:47:54 PM
You guys need to get rid of the 2nd amendment. It'd take a lot of wind out of the cops sail when they argue "I feared for my life so I shot him".

Well it is almost impossible to get rid of it, but even if we did I doubt it would make that much of a difference with regards to this issue.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 05, 2020, 06:22:45 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 05, 2020, 06:22:13 PM
"A few bad apples"

Agree

durka

A racial slur...how classy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 05, 2020, 05:07:50 PM
You guys need to get rid of the 2nd amendment. It'd take a lot of wind out of the cops sail when they argue "I feared for my life so I shot him".

Yep, only cops should have guns.

It is the only way to keep us safe from the cops :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2020, 06:25:12 PM
Well it is almost impossible to get rid of it, but even if we did I doubt it would make that much of a difference with regards to this issue.

My initial reaction was the same, since this is a case of physically subduing a resisting perp and he'd already been patted down, but then I remembered that a number of the incidents right after Ferguson involved the perception or fear of weapons.  I'm thinking specifically of the kid with the toy gun and the austistic black guy and his handler who were sitting down.

But as you said, no chance of repealing the 2nd in our lifetimes.

Razgovory

Well, I don't think that can be done.  What can be done is for all those left-wing protesters to armed themselves with firearms.  They didn't treat the milita assholes this way, so let's take a page from their book.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2020, 02:39:49 PM
You lead with the police. I don't think I've ever felt supportive of the police. I don't think I've ever been conditioned to support them either.

I don't think any of us would include you in a group like "Americans generally."  Not even you think that you are a typical American.

I think that Valmy is right.  Outside of the inner cities, Americans generally did reflexively support the police and other first responders.  And I think that he is right to note that that support has been badly damaged by cops going rogue all over the place, right in front of the cameras, when cops used to save that shit for the black guys they pulled over at 2:00 AM.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2020, 06:25:12 PM

You don't need to get rid of it, you just need the USSC to overturn the ten-year-old ruling that overturned 200 years of judicial precedent.  That will happen in our lifetimes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Oh, and to beat a dead horse on kneeling:  Were you all OUTRAGED!!!111 at the DISRESPEKT shown to Frodo in this scene?

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

To respond to Yi, about the specific video in question: I don't know, but not that. Not even 10% of that.

Several cops beating the lady repeatedly with batons is just nonsensical when she has no weapons and is no threat. At this point, it just feels like the cops are enjoying it.

What about you? What do you feel would be an appropriate use of force in the video?