The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2020, 02:42:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2020, 02:41:12 PM
:huh:

Using their service = supporting them?

Ok look I don't want to get into some kind of semantic discussion. If I was wrong I was wrong. I just see so much media generally supporting first responders as good people you can rely on.

So here's where I'm going to ask you to stop and think about that. First, you live in Texas. Second, MOST of the media that you consume is written, produced, and supplied by white people. (I was going to say men, but I don't want to muddy the waters here. It's white PEOPLE who are the problem, including a hell of a lot of white women.)

You honestly can't say that because what you typically see in media is the overal impression by all Americans. It's a really good picture of what white American wants you to see. It's an incredibly important distinction.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2020, 02:42:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2020, 02:41:12 PM
:huh:

Using their service = supporting them?

Ok look I don't want to get into some kind of semantic discussion. If I was wrong I was wrong. I just see so much media generally supporting first responders as good people you can rely on.

It isn't about semantics. You and white America might be conditioned to support the police and other first responders alike.

I've never had the same feelings of trust for the police as I do other emergency services.

And that isn't a semantic difference.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2020, 02:37:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2020, 02:36:07 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2020, 02:34:38 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2020, 01:23:46 PM
We are all conditioned to support the police and other first responders so getting so much of the country turned against them takes some truly shocking tone deafness and inteptitude.

Is the 'we' in this sentence, white people?

White American citizens generally.

FYPFY

You should probably know that it really isn't "all Americans" on this. :)

Since we are playing trump stereotype, I'll trump yours with white middle class. I know plenty of white males (I'll wash myself after this, don't worry) who are disdainful of the police. But come to think of it, about 50% of them are lower classes, so there.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2020, 02:42:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2020, 02:37:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 05, 2020, 02:37:02 PM
Okay, well count me the way fuck out of that.

What? You hate firefighters and EMTs as well?

Do you think that firefighters and EMTs treat black people the same as white people? Because I'm going to go with no, not so much.

It's not about hating. It's about lacking trust, and it's with cause.

Did I say that? I was talking about something totally different. I was talking about how first responders, like the military, are often put forward as heroic figures culturally and talking about how the police have betrayed all that through their tone deafness and how out of touch they are. Suddenly that means I think there is no racism?

Ok I could be wrong. But stop with the strawmen please.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2020, 02:46:43 PM
We are all conditioned to support the police and other first responders so getting so much of the country turned against them takes some truly shocking tone deafness and inteptitude.

FYPFY

Since we are playing trump stereotype, I'll trump yours with white middle class. I know plenty of white males (I'll wash myself after this, don't worry) who are disdainful of the police. But come to think of it, about 50% of them are lower classes, so there.

I've no idea what is happening with that post.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2020, 02:45:33 PM
From a local reporter:
QuoteDave Greber
@DaveGreber4
#BREAKING: I'm told the entire @BPDAlerts
Emergency Response Team has resigned from the team, a total of 57 officers, as a show of support for the officers who are suspended without pay after shoving Martin Gugino, 75. They are still employed, but no longer on ERT. @news4buffalo

So from what I've understood they are resigning in protest to support police burtality? :blink: :hmm:

Edit: And, incidentally, from what I've seen that elderly man has a serious head injury from this shove.

Last I knew, he was in the ICU because of it.

And yeah, you're surprised? The Thin Blue Line is a big deal. You support your brothers in arms no matter what.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2020, 02:45:33 PM
So from what I've understood they are resigning in protest to support police burtality? :blink: :hmm:

Edit: And, incidentally, from what I've seen that elderly man has a serious head injury from this shove.

I'm sure they think they're showing support for their colleagues, and indicating a displeasure that they've been suspended without pay.

But I don't think they really thought through the optics here...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2020, 02:46:43 PM

FYPFY

Even the white trash I grew up with will say they trust the police the same as they trust a firefighter.

Afterall, it's only black folk who get beat up, amIrite?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2020, 02:48:53 PM
I'm sure they think they're showing support for their colleagues, and indicating a displeasure that they've been suspended without pay.

Yeah. I mean from what I can see they've got about 700 members. So about, what 7.5% are resigning in protest over this, plus the two officers who were suspended (not fired).

It's tough not to argue that that's such a systemic problem they need to be torn down and built again.

It's like the real meaning of bad apples shining through - bad apples ruin the rest of the barrel, you need to get rid of them. The solution isn't to just focus on the good apples.

Edit: Incidentally about 170 MPs from all parties are calling on the government to block the export of tear gas and rubber bullets to the US. I feel like this also belongs in the failed/failing/coup threads.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

"A few bad apples"

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/57-buffalo-cops-resign-to-support-suspended-officers-who-pushed-down-elderly-man/

Quote57 Buffalo cops resign to support suspended officers who pushed down elderly man

The entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team — a total of 57 officers — has resigned from the team in support of the two officers who pushed 75-year-old Martin Gugino to the ground, seriously injuring him.

They are still employed, but no longer on ERT.

According to Buffalo Police Benevolent Association president John Evans, the cops who pushed Gugino down were just following orders.

"Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders," Evans, said in a statement.

This is a developing story. Check WIVB4 for updates.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2020, 02:55:21 PM
"A few bad apples"

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/57-buffalo-cops-resign-to-support-suspended-officers-who-pushed-down-elderly-man/

Quote57 Buffalo cops resign to support suspended officers who pushed down elderly man

The entire Buffalo Police Department Emergency Response Team — a total of 57 officers — has resigned from the team in support of the two officers who pushed 75-year-old Martin Gugino to the ground, seriously injuring him.

According to Buffalo Police Benevolent Association president John Evans, the cops who pushed Gugino down were just following orders.

"Fifty-seven resigned in disgust because of the treatment of two of their members, who were simply executing orders," Evans, said in a statement.

FFS

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2020, 02:54:06 PM

Yeah. I mean from what I can see they've got about 700 members. So about, what 7.5% are resigning in protest over this, plus the two officers who were suspended (not fired).

It's tough not to argue that that's such a systemic problem they need to be torn down and built again.

It's like the real meaning of bad apples shining through - bad apples ruin the rest of the barrel, you need to get rid of them. The solution isn't to just focus on the good apples.

They're not resigning from the force, just from this one particular unit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2020, 03:01:45 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2020, 02:54:06 PM

They're not resigning from the force, just from this one particular unit.

It's the thought that matters! The whole unit though it it is ok to shove an old man to the pavement when he approaches you alone, unarmed, to talk to you.

Tamas

Also makes me wonder just what kind of orders do they have.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 05, 2020, 02:55:21 PM
"A few bad apples"

Jesus Christ. Talk about tone deaf. Circle the wagons!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."