The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 02, 2020, 05:25:21 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 02, 2020, 05:05:40 PM
Charleston today - the last 30-40 seconds are what I mean by these protests being incredible examples of classic passive resistance:
https://twitter.com/bentaub91/status/1267840280214069248?s=20

Wow.
And that's the purpose of the protest! :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2020, 05:09:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 02, 2020, 05:07:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2020, 05:06:07 PM
The amount of time and energy spent discussing looting is a direct function of the amount of push back generated when the issue was first raised.
And a function of the people saying that as there's now looting the protesters probably need to step back and/or do more.

Yeah I recall someone here suggested the protestors should give up now that looting has occurred.

I was saying they should do more or step back, not leave it where it's at.

Tamas

Zoupa

Charleston today - the last 30-40 seconds are what I mean by these protests being incredible examples of classic passive resistance:

Wow.

Land of the free and home of the brave. What a joke  :lol:

merithyn

Quote from: Zoupa on June 02, 2020, 05:30:07 PM

Wow.

Land of the free and home of the brave. What a joke  :lol:

Which is exactly why I say that I'm totally amazed that these "riots" have taken so long to occur. "Land of the free and home of the brave" only pertains to white men (and women if they toe the bigot line). It has been the case since the country's inception.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2020, 05:23:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2020, 05:20:16 PM
The thing is the looting and property destruction isn't completely unrelated to the issue of police brutality.  In Fergusson, the riots resulted in the closure of the Walmart, the increase in insurance rates for businesses, and decrease of property values.  People ended up losing their jobs, their homes and access to affordable groceries.  The grinding poverty of government housing makes people desperate and they turn to crime which in turn attracts more police scrutiny and more conflict between the police and the community.

Now this doesn't apply everywhere there has been looting.  The looting I've seen looked like it took place in high-end shops.  Still, it's important to remember that property crimes can harm people beyond the folks owning the business and violent protests can do more harm than good for the people the protests are suppose to be for.

Yes, but the lesson to take from all of that is to address the grinding poverty rather than investing more in the police.

Yes, you address poverty by attack the cause, and in this case one of the major causes was the riots.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zoupa

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2020, 05:35:24 PM
The thing is the looting and property destruction isn't completely unrelated to the issue of police brutality.  In Fergusson, the riots resulted in the closure of the Walmart, the increase in insurance rates for businesses, and decrease of property values.  People ended up losing their jobs, their homes and access to affordable groceries.  The grinding poverty of government housing makes people desperate and they turn to crime which in turn attracts more police scrutiny and more conflict between the police and the community.

Now this doesn't apply everywhere there has been looting.  The looting I've seen looked like it took place in high-end shops.  Still, it's important to remember that property crimes can harm people beyond the folks owning the business and violent protests can do more harm than good for the people the protests are suppose to be for.

Yes, but the lesson to take from all of that is to address the grinding poverty rather than investing more in the police.

Yes, you address poverty by attack the cause, and in this case one of the major causes was the riots.

And what caused the riots? It's almost as if some issues are complex and require doing more than one thing.

crazy canuck

I am pretty sure the grinding poverty is caused by something other than one riot which postdated the grinding poverty.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 02, 2020, 05:26:14 PM
The bit in bold seemed particularly striking. The whole piece is interesting.

It does raise for me the question - especially about "lawful orders" - of how far away we are from the President giving an order and the military having to choose whether they think it's lawful and whether they should follow the order or not.

Possibly relevant for the failed/failing state thread or the coup thread.

I was wondering the same thing.

Incidentally, related to this topic, I learned today on NPR that the Enforcement Act of is actually much broader than the deployment of troops to protect constitutional rights, as I was led to believe by a quick read of Wiki.  It also allows the deployment of troops when the enforcement of federal and state laws are threatened.  Last time it was invoked was 1992, in California during the Rodney King riots, at Democratic governor Pete Wilson's request.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2020, 05:38:34 PM

I was wondering the same thing.

Incidentally, related to this topic, I learned today on NPR that the Enforcement Act of is actually much broader than the deployment of troops to protect constitutional rights, as I was led to believe by a quick read of Wiki.  It also allows the deployment of troops when the enforcement of federal and state laws are threatened.  Last time it was invoked was 1992, in California during the Rodney King riots, at Democratic governor Pete Wilson's request.
According to my Wiki browsing that's the Insurrection Act (the one Trump is referring to) of 1807, which does, indeed, seem broad:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurrection_Act_of_1807
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2020, 05:37:38 PM

I am pretty sure the grinding poverty is caused by something other than one riot which postdated the grinding poverty.

The town was fairly well off before the riots. :mellow:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 02, 2020, 05:38:34 PM
Last time it was invoked was 1992, in California during the Rodney King riots, at Democratic governor Pete Wilson's request.

Wilson is a Republican
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on June 02, 2020, 05:37:16 PM

And what caused the riots? It's almost as if some issues are complex and require doing more than one thing.

A robbery suspect was shot after he punched a police officer in the head and tried to steal his gun.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2020, 05:48:47 PM
A robbery suspect was shot after he punched a police officer in the head and tried to steal his gun.

Allegedly tried to steal the cop's gun. Given what we're seeing today, hard to believe the cop on this one.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...