The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 01, 2020, 09:32:29 PM
Curfew in Coralville IA, city jammed right next to IC.
Curfew in NYC as well.  Got a loud ass emergency alert on my phone just to make sure I was informed.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Oexmelin

Quote from: DGuller on June 01, 2020, 10:08:08 PM
Curfew in NYC as well.  Got a loud ass emergency alert on my phone just to make sure I was informed.

Don't worry, I am sure the armed protesters who complained about lockdown will take it to the streets against this decision.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

So, the 1807 Insurrection Act that Trump drooled about, what does that entail? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Arlington is pulling its police from DC, effective immediately due to Trump tear gassing that peaceful protest so he could get a photo op at that church.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/jun/1/arlington-county-pulls-police-dc-after-trump-churc/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Oexmelin on June 01, 2020, 10:16:11 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 01, 2020, 10:08:08 PM

Don't worry, I am sure the armed protesters who complained about lockdown will take it to the streets against this decision.
That wouldn't be a bad thing, if there were any chance of NYPD enforcing laws against white people supporting them.  Brandishing guns in NYC is a mandatory jail time offense, or at least used to be.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on June 01, 2020, 10:38:12 PM
So, the 1807 Insurrection Act that Trump drooled about, what does that entail? :unsure:

It will screw over anyone with property insurance, because acts of war are excluded and that includes insurrection.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 01, 2020, 10:48:29 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 01, 2020, 10:38:12 PM

It will screw over anyone with property insurance, because acts of war are excluded and that includes insurrection.
Insurrection is excluded, but civil disorder is not.  I don't think invoking the act itself makes the riots an insurrection, I imagine that it would require a lot more than that.

Syt

Btw, I think that even without the looting and arson we would see a very similar response. If it's not about looting a Target or burning a police station, it would be blocking of roads or being a public nuisance, like a couple of years ago.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

The White House released a video with dramatic music showing Trump go to the church:

https://twitter.com/JesseCox/status/1267691419000467457?s=20

Totally worth tear gassing protesters and shooting them with rubber bullets to clear the way.

https://twitter.com/jackmjenkins/status/1267664350522810368?s=20
QuoteJack Jenkins
@jackmjenkins

Just spoke with Rev. Gerbasi.

She told me that law enforcement with shields forced priests, others *off the church patio,* meaning they stepped on church property to expel people from it.

As she put it: "They turned holy ground into a battle ground."

Story coming.

DC bishop is also pissed: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/01/politics/cnntv-bishop-trump-photo-op/index.html
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

QuoteAs she put it: "They turned holy ground into a battle ground."

:rolleyes: They were dominating the battlespace.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

I just watched a couple of hours of videos from the Russian blogger walking around in the thick of the action the last two nights, rather bravely.  The first night was mostly a violent clash with police and their cars.  In the first night he feared getting hit by an object thrown at police, and then he feared being targeted by police getting out of control. 

On the second night it was anarchy and chaos on the streets, and he feared being targeted for recording people aggressively looting every shop they came across, as police has clearly abandoned most streets, choosing to concentrate in overwhelming force in the select few.  He regularly visits the sketchiest NYC neighborhoods for his blogging, so he's not a wimp. 

This is just an orgy of violence now, and no matter how much protesters are justified in making their point with a bit of violence, because obviously non-violence isn't getting anything done, what was happening last night in NYC wasn't it.  It was anarchy for the sake of it.

garbon

Interesting when you put that side by side with Cuomo's statements on the situation in NYC.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Is it even possible to get an objective picture of what's happening? I'm sure it's easy to pick shots of violence from both sides as well as police and protesters showing solidarity.
—Stephen Jay Gould