The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 02:17:46 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2020, 02:03:36 PM
How much training do US cops have, typically? I seem to recall hearing that it's very little compared to some other countries. In Sweden it takes 2.5 years to become a police officer. Is there such a thing as a typical length of time in the US, if you're talking basic cops?

Academy anywhere from 6-12 mos. FTO phase can be 3 to 12 mos. New officers are usually on two year probation. This does not included any reoccurring in service training such as CIT, HNC, SRT, etc.

But it varies widely.

Yes.  That's serous problem in the US, which has a practically infinite number of police forces.  Fuckups can move from force to force until they find one that can tolerate their inadequacies.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on May 30, 2020, 06:33:25 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 02:17:46 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 30, 2020, 02:03:36 PM
How much training do US cops have, typically? I seem to recall hearing that it's very little compared to some other countries. In Sweden it takes 2.5 years to become a police officer. Is there such a thing as a typical length of time in the US, if you're talking basic cops?

Academy anywhere from 6-12 mos. FTO phase can be 3 to 12 mos. New officers are usually on two year probation. This does not included any reoccurring in service training such as CIT, HNC, SRT, etc.

But it varies widely.

Yes.  That's serous problem in the US, which has a practically infinite number of police forces.  Fuckups can move from force to force until they find one that can tolerate their inadequacies.

and they find the right "Good Ole Boy" club.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 07:07:24 PM
and they find the right "Good Ole Boy" club.
Yeah, i have to admit that I was a lot more tolerant of the "Blue Wall of Silence" when I benefited it from it.  It is a pretty major barrier to police reform in the US.  My advice to those interested in seeking police reform in the US would be to organize teams to just monitor and record US police activity using cell phones and whatever ad hoc abilities exist.  It seems to me that actual evidence is more persuasive than calls to attack innocent people.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2020, 08:46:56 AM
How many trillions of profit did these banks that took the bailout or disappeared make in the 20 years prior to 2008?

Bagillions and bagillions. 

The point I assume you're trying to make is that if the banks had retained all earnings, not paid dividends, not paid bonuses, and not bought those really high end bagels for the weekly meetings, they would have had enough cash on hand to weather the crisis without resorting to TARP funds.  There is of course the fact that many of the biggest banks were in just that position, and had to be coerced by the government into involuntarily accepting TARP money so that the the money market would not distinguish between weaker banks and stronger banks. 

There's also the unfortunate fact that this doesn't support your original claim, i.e. that banks didn't need TARP money.  Saying they wouldn't have needed the money if they had done X is not the same as saying they didn't need the money in reality.

It also doesn't support Timmy's claim that banks made money by lending money that wasn't repaid, which you at least gave the appearance of rushing to defend.

alfred russel

Now I'm under curfew and the national guard is out. I went by the mall today and the national guard is hanging out on armored vehicles, so that is sweet.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

11B4V

Quote from: alfred russel on May 30, 2020, 08:45:43 PM
Now I'm under curfew and the national guard is out. I went by the mall today and the national guard is hanging out on armored vehicles, so that is sweet.

Nice!
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 30, 2020, 08:27:43 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2020, 08:46:56 AM
How many trillions of profit did these banks that took the bailout or disappeared make in the 20 years prior to 2008?

Bagillions and bagillions. 

The point I assume you're trying to make is that if the banks had retained all earnings, not paid dividends, not paid bonuses, and not bought those really high end bagels for the weekly meetings, they would have had enough cash on hand to weather the crisis without resorting to TARP funds. 

I mean, yeah. You're arguing in really bad faith here.

I'm not saying to retain ALL earnings. Maybe, oh I dunno, 3 months of running expenses like they tell Joe Plumber to do? Maybe they don't need the expensive bagels? Or the 3rd yacht? Maybe there's no bonus? Does Joe Plumber get a bonus? Why don't they just have salaries?

The pursuit of greed makes for a poorer 99.9%. I don't think there's any argument there, is it?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on May 30, 2020, 10:41:34 PM
I mean, yeah. You're arguing in really bad faith here.

Man you've got a lot of nerve accusing me of arguing in bad faith.  I take exception to several of Timmy's statements, you leap in with a statement that I take exception to as well, you respond by changing the subject and cutting out the part of my post that shows that you're changing the subject and pretending you haven't, and then you accuse me of arguing in bad faith.

Syt

Where will America head in this? Will the protests/riots continue or spread?

Or will they peter out without much political consequences as often before?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on May 30, 2020, 11:12:17 PM

Peter out.

Syt

Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 11:17:38 PM

Peter out.

Which I think is quite depressing. It seems to send the message, "Sure, riot if you want to. We'll crack down on you and just let you get it out of your system, and carry on as before."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on May 30, 2020, 11:28:09 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 30, 2020, 11:17:38 PM

Peter out.

Which I think is quite depressing. It seems to send the message, "Sure, riot if you want to. We'll crack down on you and just let you get it out of your system, and carry on as before."

Pretty much. But the narrative is already starting to change. Folks are generally Ok with marching, screaming, and blocking highways. It's when they start burning and destroying shot is when sympathy for the cause is lost. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

garbon

With generally okay = they ignore it apart from it being a passing conversational topic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on May 31, 2020, 12:17:35 AM
With generally okay = they ignore it apart from it being a passing conversational topic.

No, folks don't have an issue with protesting. Rioting, yes.

11B4V

SPD showed great restraint today despite a couple of patrol cars burned and property damage. Much to the hysteria of local news retards.