The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 17, 2017, 10:05:17 PM
Yes.

Is there a reason why they don't show up with shields in cases such as these?
I am guessing the prevalence of guns and the frequent shooters on campus means you never quite know.

Campus PDs don't typically have that sort of gear, I believe. I might be wrong, but I don't think GA Tech's does. They don't even have tasers, but I think that might be changing soon.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Habbaku on September 17, 2017, 10:17:04 PM
Campus PDs don't typically have that sort of gear, I believe. I might be wrong, but I don't think GA Tech's does. They don't even have tasers, but I think that might be changing soon.

Considering that university campuses are full of 20 somethings, which is typically the age a large number of mental health issues manifest themselves, you'd think that campus pds would/should have as much non-lethal gear as possible.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Oexmelin on September 17, 2017, 10:17:43 PM
@ Cdm Could you explain why?

Because this isn't Medieval Times, that's why.  Shields are used in riots to protect the line from debris, or to protect tactical officers in close quarters breaches.
They stop bullets, so the officers behind the officer holding the shield can shoot.

Why don't you tell me why exactly you think a shield would be helpful in this instance?  How do you envision a shield being helpful in this situation, other than getting in the way?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on September 17, 2017, 10:17:04 PM

QuoteA Tech spokesman said campus police do not carry Tasers, or stun guns, but are equipped with pepper spray.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/shooting-georgia-tech-student-stirs-old-debate-with-new-questions/L4ATXB1Ln4leXZdxL7ooqI/

The Brain

I agree with CdM that it's better to put your points into 2H weapons. With decent constitution you should be able to take a few hits, and dealing the extra damage is so worth it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

I think that, if you forced all cops to spend a perk on shield bash, they'd be able to handle situations like this without shooting.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 17, 2017, 10:09:17 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on September 17, 2017, 10:05:17 PM
Is there a reason why they don't show up with shields in cases such as these?

Yes, there is a reason.  Because it would be stupid.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Question for CDM:

If police are certain there is a gun in the car within reach of the suspect's hand, would they approach the car with their own guns drawn or would the approach with the guns holstered but with hand on the gun ready to draw?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

sbr

The Minsky Moment

A key element of the defense was the testimony by Stockley that his partner said "gun" - meaning that the partner saw a gun in the car, and that Stockley himself "saw the driver's hand on a gun on the passenger's seat as the Buick drove by him."

But the video shows that both Stockley and his partner did not draw their weapons but kept them holstered as they approached the case.  Stockley testified that his gun was in his holster when he got to the window.  My question is would that be normal procedure if you had just seen a gun in the "driver's hand" on the passenger seat of the car?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 18, 2017, 12:58:55 AM
Why don't you tell me why exactly you think a shield would be helpful in this instance?  How do you envision a shield being helpful in this situation, other than getting in the way?

I don't know "exactly" - this was the reason I was asking you in the first place. What I do know is that shields do seem to be used in the UK for that very purpose.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/nyregion/us-police-leaders-visiting-scotland-get-lessons-on-avoiding-deadly-force.html?mcubz=0

https://www.quora.com/How-do-British-police-officers-manage-to-stop-knife-wielding-suspects-safely-when-they-dont-carry-firearms-A-knife-wielding-suspect-is-likely-to-be-shot-by-North-American-police#!n=24

Jacob

We have a fair bit of historical evidence that shields are good counters to knives and clubs etc, so it doesn't seem completely outlandish that police could use them effectively against knife or club wielding individuals, if they know that's what they're up against.