The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2017, 04:50:01 PM
Quote from: HVC on September 06, 2017, 02:11:15 PM
Lieutenant told him too, so he did it. Good cops follow orders and what not. He's also a part time EMT. Since like 1983.

It would have been a decidedly more interesting video if I had been on the scene as the University police officer. 

Are hotwheel tracks standard issue for university cops? :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on September 06, 2017, 03:45:59 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 06, 2017, 02:32:57 PM
Lieutenant told him too, so he did it. Good cops follow orders and what not. He's also a part time EMT. Since like 1983.

"I vas chust following orderz!" hasn't been a good defense since Nuremberg.

I am starting to think that maybe the US needs to do a clean sweep of its police and hire a whole new batch, screening against stupidity this time.  Yeah, there would be a transition cost, but the cost of allowing the current batch of fuckwits to stay in power is also high.

Personally I think some sort of uniform minimum police standards and licensing properly regulated and enforced would be really useful for the US. If not Federally, then at least on a per state basis.

Sure firing everyone would be satisfying and get a bunch of idiots out (and some good cops, no doubt), but without a proper regulation and management framework you'd just get more of the same after a while.
Agreed.  The amount of training US cops get is laughable compared to other civilized countries.  That certainly doesn't help instill the culture of professionalism.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: HVC on September 06, 2017, 05:01:00 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2017, 04:50:01 PM

It would have been a decidedly more interesting video if I had been on the scene as the University police officer. 

Are hotwheel tracks standard issue for university cops? :P

The only crimes being committed at that moment were being committed by the cop. Just because he's in a uniform doesn't mean he can't be charged.

sbr

Quote from: Jacob on September 06, 2017, 03:45:59 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 06, 2017, 02:32:57 PM

"I vas chust following orderz!" hasn't been a good defense since Nuremberg.

I am starting to think that maybe the US needs to do a clean sweep of its police and hire a whole new batch, screening against stupidity this time.  Yeah, there would be a transition cost, but the cost of allowing the current batch of fuckwits to stay in power is also high.

Personally I think some sort of uniform minimum police standards and licensing properly regulated and enforced would be really useful for the US. If not Federally, then at least on a per state basis.

Sure firing everyone would be satisfying and get a bunch of idiots out (and some good cops, no doubt), but without a proper regulation and management framework you'd just get more of the same after a while.

No results found for good cops

grumbler

My problem with the "good cops" argument is that evidence overwhelmingly shows that they are rare to the point of being irrelevant.  Even the cops that don't commit crimes seem perfectly willing to abet crimes when they are committed by fellow cops.

Perhaps a more centralized training and qualification system would yield cops that don't tolerate criminals, even when they wear a badge.  Dunno, but it is worth finding out, because right now difference between criminals and crime fighters in the US appears to be one of degree, not of kind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on September 06, 2017, 07:03:24 PM
Agreed.  The amount of training US cops get is laughable compared to other civilized countries.  That certainly doesn't help instill the culture of professionalism.

What are you talking about. 

Tonitrus

Even if centralized, any kind of institution will typically become insular and self-protective. 

As much as I hate to bring in a "military" analogy...perhaps the problem is that in function, many police departments do not seem to have an equivalent of "civilian" control like the military does.  When this kind of shits hits the fan, it always seems to be the police chief talking on the subject, and seldom the mayor/city council.  Or that the mayor and his/her potential shenanigans are too intermixed with the police department (perhaps not surprising, as the police are probably, like our military, one of the biggest function of civic government). 

Perhaps something like a separate, citizen council to manage/investigate police operations?  Though it's hard to see that becoming something that either works hand-in-glove, or is so at odds with each other as to be motly dysfunctional.

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2017, 09:20:26 PM
Quote from: DGuller on September 06, 2017, 07:03:24 PM

What are you talking about.

If the training is a lot of seminars conducted by peeps like that fool (Mr. Close-set-Crazy-Eyes) in the trailer Oex posted not long ago, then yes, laughable.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 06, 2017, 09:23:33 PM
Perhaps something like a separate, citizen council to manage/investigate police operations?

https://youtu.be/6NL-WPP2rdY?t=21s

Organizationally though, all the more progressive stuff is happening with departments out west and in the northwest. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 06, 2017, 09:25:09 PM
If the training is a lot of seminars conducted by peeps like that fool (Mr. Close-set-Crazy-Eyes) in the trailer Oex posted not long ago, then yes, laughable.

Departments are up to their asses in available training, from state accreditation agencies to colleges to the federal government--but the learning disabled can only learn so much.  Don't blame the curriculum, blame the student.

Tonitrus

Some of the ultra-rich suburb PDs around here require Bachelor's degrees nowadays, and they still do the same shit.

Edit:  But do seem to generally be of better quality compared to the big-city or rural-Joe Bob/High-school-QB-cop departments.

Ed Anger

Seedy will be pleased to hear that the New Carisle deputy was a MP. 10 veteran points for him.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 06, 2017, 09:41:46 PM
Some of the ultra-rich suburb PDs around here require Bachelor's degrees nowadays, and they still do the same shit.

Edit:  But do seem to generally be of better quality compared to the big-city or rural-Joe Bob/High-school-QB-cop departments.

Yes a Bachelor's degree will fix it. You won't have any ass knob cops.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 06, 2017, 09:45:07 PM
Seedy will be pleased to hear that the New Carisle deputy was a MP. 10 veteran points for him.

Don't hate
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

They're also doing things like civilianizing media relations departments--man, I recommended that one once in a policy doc (used Portland as one of the case studies, got my ass handed right back to me  :lol:--as well as specialized necessities such as computer forensics.

Still though, as long as it's considered "the brotherhood" there's going to be an issue with incorporating civilian management and oversight.  Hell, they certainly didn't trust me.  And still don't when it comes to job interviews.