The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Frank Drebin: "..., luckily they turned out to be bystanders."
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Oklahoma Inmate Forced To Listen to 'Baby Shark' on a Loop Found Dead

This is the kind of headline that makes you go... wut??

But it's dead serious.

Inmate was forced to listen to Baby Shark on loop.  His guards were fired.  Than he was found dead just before testifying against them. :(

Better text here:
Key witness in 'Baby Shark' cases against jailers found dead in jail
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Police officer investigating allegation of LAPD gang rape dies in alleged accident. Lawyer for his family alleges he was beaten to death by other officers - one of the alleged rapists were present at the officer's death.

https://jezebel.com/lapd-officer-killed-in-training-accident-was-investig-1849612351?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I like to have information about public issues.

CountDeMoney

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 14, 2022, 11:26:30 AMShooting at uVA

Three members of the football team shot by a former member of the team.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

Yes. Picked the wrong mega thread. It was meant to go in the other type of routine shooting in the US.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on November 14, 2022, 10:13:53 PMYes. Picked the wrong mega thread. It was meant to go in the other type of routine shooting in the US.
There were two in Montreal last week, near colleges.  You'll soon need a thread for Montreal (well, the GTMA) too the way things are going.

Thankfully, we have a gun registry in Quebec, and Justin-the-Wise has banned legal handgun sales so these things are only happening in our imagination. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Not a shooting - instead an hour long beating - and there have been charges, but it sounds like this is going to be horrific based on them planning to release it at 6 when people have many businesses/schools etc will have closed.

On the other hand the fact they've been fired and charged seems like a department doing the right thing at least:
QuoteRelease of police video is timed with public reaction in mind.
Sometimes body camera footage is made public within hours; other times it takes months. Memphis officials chose a time when businesses would be closed and the charges over Tyre Nichols's death were already known.

Mourners gathered at a candlelight vigil in Memphis on Thursday night, after the authorities announced criminal charges against five police officers over the death of Tyre Nichols.Credit...Brad J. Vest for The New York Times
By Eliza Fawcett and Jesus Jiménez
    Jan. 27, 2023, 3:36 p.m. ET

Bracing for public outrage, the authorities in Memphis have chosen to wait until shortly after 6 p.m. Central time on Friday to release video of the police encounter that resulted in Tyre Nichols's death.

Mr. Nichols was hospitalized on Jan. 7 following a traffic stop that escalated into a brutal beating; he died three days later. The five officers involved in the encounter were fired last week and were arrested Thursday on second-degree murder and other charges.

Officials have said that the video footage is nearly an hour long, and was obtained from police body cameras and stationary cameras. It is being released with limited redactions, the officials said.

Chief Cerelyn Davis of the Memphis police has said that the video shows a "heinous, reckless and inhumane" incident that she expects will draw public outrage.

Some Memphis city council members who were not involved in deciding when to release the video said they supported the plan to wait until after schools and many businesses in the city had closed for the night.

"Friday at 6 p.m., very, very few people will be at work," said Frank Colvett Jr., a councilman from the city's east side. "Everyone will have had plenty of time to get home from school, from their jobs, and just stay home."

Another council member, Dr. Jeff Warren, said he thought waiting until Friday evening would "allow time for people to digest the fact that arrests had been made and charges had been brought."

Anticipating protests after the video is made public, local civic leaders, members of Mr. Nichols's family and President Biden have urged demonstrators to remain peaceful.

Michael Lawlor, an associate professor of criminal justice at the University of New Haven, noted that the delayed release gave the Memphis and Shelby County authorities time to investigate and fire the five officers and to arrest and indict them before the public saw the video.

"They anticipate people will be shocked and horrified by what they see," Professor Lawlor said. "And before that happens, they want to make sure it's very clear what the official reaction to this is: The officers charged with murder, second degree."

In other high-profile cases of police-involved deaths, the timing of the release of body camera footage has varied widely. Sometimes the video has been made public swiftly to emphasize transparency.

The authorities in Columbus, Ohio, released video footage of Ma'Khia Bryant's fatal encounter with the police just a few hours after she was shot and killed by an officer in April 2021. That same month, when Daunte Wright was fatally shot by a police officer at a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, Minn., the authorities showed graphic body camera footage to reporters the next day.

But laws in some states can make the release take much longer, and in some cases, police departments have withheld video footage out of fear over the public's reaction to seeing it.

When Daniel Prude died in March 2020 while being detained by the police in Rochester, N.Y., police commanders intentionally delayed releasing body camera footage of the encounter for months. Ultimately, it was Mr. Prude's family who made the footage public in September 2020.

Kami Chavis, a law professor at William & Mary Law School, said that the expected release of the Tyre Nichols video in Memphis seemed "timely."

"Violence has erupted in other cities when you've had different situations, where the officers haven't been named or fired or arrested," she said, but those steps "happened very quickly in this situation."

Eliza Fawcett is a reporter for the National desk and a member of the 2022-2023 New York Times fellowship class. @ElizaFawcett

Jesus Jiménez is a breaking news reporter. @jesus_jimz
Let's bomb Russia!

HisMajestyBOB

Video released. A transcript is in the first post in this reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bad_Cop_No_Donut/comments/10n0hv7/comment/j66c5y7/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

QuoteFor those that don't want to watch, here's what the videos show.

Video 1 shows the stop of Tyre by three cops who are in unmarked cars. The first minute is silent, and just shows the officer wearing it driving. Just before sound kicks in, he turns on flashing lights in his car and pulls up behind Tyre. he gets out of the car, and the video shows one Tyre's car at a stop light with his left turn signal blinking. There is an unmarked car pulled up Parallel next to Tyre's car, in the lane of oncoming traffic, and does not appear to have any blue flashing lights. One officer is standing near the driver's door of this vehicle, and another is standing at the passenger side of Tyre's car. Both officers have their guns drawn and pointed at Tyre. The first thing we hear is one officer yelling, "You're gonna get your ass blown the fuck up!" The officer wearing the camera draws his gun. The officer that was near the unmarked car moves aroudn the back of that car, then moves up to Tyre's driver door. The cop wearing the camera follows. The first cop opens the door, holsters his gun, says, "Get the fuck outta the car." and reaches in to grab Tyre. The officer starts to drag Tyre out of the car while repeating "Get the fuck out the fuckin car." Tyre says, "Damn man, I didn't do anything!" Tyre turns to face the officer who has dragged him out the car, and the cop with the camera runs up and grabs Tyre and says, "Turn your ass around." Tyre allows the cop dragging him to put one hand behind his back and repeats, "alright alright alright" in a tone that's clearly meant to try and keep things from escalating. One of the three cops starts repeating "on the ground, on the ground, on the ground", and the cop who was holding Tyre's hand behind his back shoves him to the ground. The video is jumpy, but we can hear Tyre continue to repeat "alright, alright alright". The three cops can be heard yelling "GET ON THE GROUND" and telling Tyre "YOU DON'T FUCKING DO THAT, YOU DON'T TURN AROUND." The three cops appear to be wrestling him to the ground. One cop says, "I'm gonna taze yo ass!" Tyre continues to repeat "alright alright" and calmly says, "alright, i'm on the ground." We can see Tyre sitting on the ground. One cop yells "Turn around!" while another simultaneously yells "LAY DOWN!!" We see one cop holding Tyre's left arm while Tyre turns to the cop who threatened to taze him and very slowly and calmly says, "STOP!! Alright, Ok!" And Tyre lays on his right side on the ground, with the one cop still holding his left hand. The cop wearing the camera pulls out his tazer, presses it against Tyre's leg, and angrily says, "I'm gonna taze your shit." We can see Tyre's right hand is empty and held up to the third officer, who is making no attempt to secure his hand. One cop says, "TURN THE FUCK AROUND." Then all three yell incoherently. The cop who has been holding Tyre's left arm yells, "BITCH PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR BACK, and puts Tyre's left hand behind his back. Tyre cannot lay on his stomach because this officer is rotating Tyre onto his back. Tyre repeatedly says,. "OK! OK!" and says, "You guys are really doing a lot right now!", his voice cracking in fear. One cop is holding Tyre's right arm on the ground, while the one cop is still holding his arm behind his back. One of the cops says, "Man...if you don't lay down.." and Tyre responds, "I"M LAYING ON THE GROUND!". It is clear that Tyre has surrendered, and the cops' actions are physically preventing him from complying with their commands. The cops pepper spray Tyre. Tyre yells, "STOP IM NOT DOING ANYTHING". The cops then all get off of him, and Tyre gets up and apepars to try to run away. The cop who tazed him initally shoots his Tazer at Tyre while Tyre tries to run away. The three cops take off after him for a short bit, before stopping the foot pursuit, and returning to their and Tyre's cars. They wash the pepper spray off their faces and call in a BOLO for Tyre.

Video 2 shows multiple cops hold Tyre down while a third kicks him repeatedly in the head, and a 4th gets out his baton and starts beating Tyre with it. The officer kicking Tyre apparently kicks him so hard that the cop starts to limp. After about a minute of this, Tyre tries to get up. Two cops hold his arms behind him while a third starts punching him in the head and face. Tyre falls to the ground, where he is pinned down by a third cop. Three more cops show up, two of whom start kicking the handcuffed, pinned Tyre within seconds of arriving. There are 7 cops with Tyre at this point. This is 4 and a half minutes into a 30 minute video. Tyre is pinned to the ground by three cops at this point, and is kicking his legs in obvious pain. One of the cops who showed up in the group of 3, the one that hadn't kicked him, moves to pin his legs to the ground. There are 4 cops holding Tyre on the ground. Tyre is handcuffed, writhing in pain, and the cops all get off of him and walk a little distance away. Two of the cops force Tyre to sit up, and then they drag him over to one of their unmarked patrol cars. This is six minutes into the video. They lean him against the car and they all walk away. Shortly after, paramedics show up and start to evaluate Tyre. Tyre falls onto his side, and the paramedics basically just stare at him. The rest of the video essentially consists of somewhere around 8 cops and 2 paramedics wandering around, intermittently interacting with Tyre, who is obviously in a great deal of pain, until 28 minutes into the video, at which point one of the EMTs brings over a gurney. At 30 minutes, Tyre is finally put on a back board, put on the gurney, and loaded into an ambulance.

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

garbon

I think I'll skip watching the video as well as reading the transcript. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point