The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://www.whec.com/rochester-new-york-news/exclusive-rpd-investigator-on-desk-duty-following-dispute-with-emt-in-ambulance-bay/6526199/?cat=565

QuoteExclusive: RPD Investigator on desk duty following dispute with EMT in ambulance bay

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WHEC) — A Rochester Police investigator has been put on desk duty following an altercation with an EMT outside and inside the emergency department at Strong Memorial Hospital.

The investigator's car was parked in the ambulance bay in front of the emergency room when an EMT hit it while opening her door to unload a patient.  Sources tell News10NBC that the investigator insisted on getting her identification, she insisted on bringing the patient inside first. News10NBC Investigative Reporter Jennifer Lewke was able to get an exclusive video of what happened from there. 

The incident happened on Monday.  The ambulance bay in front of the emergency room is typically reserved for ambulances only but the investigator was parked there, planning to go inside for a case.  Sources tell News10NBC that's when the EMT from Monroe Ambulance got out to unload the patient and hit the police car with her door.

The investigator asked for identification but the EMT was intent on getting her patient inside first.  She kept moving with the man on a stretcher and when she was at the check-in desk, she was approached by the investigator, her arm pulled behind her back and cuffed before forcefully being taken outside to a police car

The Rochester Police Department tells News10NBC that the investigator in the video has been placed on administrative assignment and "at the direction of Chief Smith, the professional standards section is currently conducting an internal investigation."

A spokesman for Monroe Ambulance says the agency is waiting for the outcome of the RPD investigation but believes its EMT was appropriately singularly focused on patient care.

Both supervisors for Monroe Ambulance and RPD responded to the incident.  The EMT was released from custody, she was not charged or ticketed.

Rochester Police Chief David Smith released the following statement:

"The Rochester Police Department prides itself on providing professional and courteous services to our community. On July 11, 2022, a member of the Rochester Police Department and an employee of Monroe Ambulance were involved in an incident at Strong Hospital. Chief Smith was notified of the incident and immediately directed an internal investigation by the Professional Standards Section. Pending the internal investigation, the member involved has been placed on administrative assignment. We ask for patience as we ensure that a thorough and complete investigation is completed."

Video at the link.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Threviel

I had an idea that all the police shenanigans in the US is because of the large number of police officers. That there are many more in the US compared to Europe and that's why we see all these stupid US cops.

Well, apparently the US has something like 700k cops, about 239/100k.

EU has 1.6 million, 318/100k.

So I was wrong.

Zoupa

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that the EMT is black, while the cop is white.

DGuller

Quote from: Threviel on July 14, 2022, 11:48:39 PMI had an idea that all the police shenanigans in the US is because of the large number of police officers. That there are many more in the US compared to Europe and that's why we see all these stupid US cops.

So I was wrong.
We may not have a large number of police officers, but we have a number of large police officers. 

Threviel

Y
Quote from: DGuller on July 15, 2022, 12:18:10 AM
Quote from: Threviel on July 14, 2022, 11:48:39 PMI had an idea that all the police shenanigans in the US is because of the large number of police officers. That there are many more in the US compared to Europe and that's why we see all these stupid US cops.

So I was wrong.
We may not have a large number of police officers, but we have a number of large police officers. 

Yeah, there is probably a lot more humanity working as cops in the US, but that won't help the per capita numbers.

The Brain

I randomly saw that yesterday there was another case in Sweden of an armed man who threatened police officers being shot in the leg and arrested. In spite of conventional wisdom being that they should have acted responsibly and put 24 rounds in his chest. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: The Brain on July 20, 2022, 02:07:12 AMI randomly saw that yesterday there was another case in Sweden of an armed man who threatened police officers being shot in the leg and arrested. In spite of conventional wisdom being that they should have acted responsibly and put 24 rounds in his chest. :(

Sorry but your conventional wisdom is wrong. Several of those rounds should hit bystanders.

Unless the shooter is at a school. Then conventional wisdom is to go rough up parents or play Candy Crush on your phone for hour.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

https://www.aol.com/night-terror-female-inmates-raped-140023862.html?

Quote'Night of terror': Female inmates raped when male detainees bribed guard, lawsuit says

Female inmates at an Indiana jail were subjected to a "night of terror" when male detainees gained access to their cells, the women allege in a lawsuit.

The lawsuit was filed Friday, July 22, by eight women against Clark County Sheriff Jamey Noel and current and former Clark County Jail officers. It's the second lawsuit filed this summer following the alleged incident, with 20 women filing suit in June, court records show.

The women claim that on Oct. 23, 2021, jail officer David Lowe gave two male detainees keys to the interior of the jail in exchange for $1,000.

That night, the two male detainees and other male inmates went into restricted areas of the jail that housed women, according to the lawsuit.

"Numerous male detainees used the keys obtained from Lowe to enter Pods 4(E) and 4(F), where they raped, assaulted, harassed, threatened and intimidated the plaintiffs in this lawsuit, and other women, for several hours, resulting in significant physical and emotional injuries," the lawsuit filed in the United States District Court of the Southern District of Indiana says.

The men threatened to further harm the women if they pressed the emergency call button, according to the lawsuit.

The women claim in the lawsuit that no jail officers came to their aid throughout the night, despite the assaults being viewable on surveillance video.

Scottie Maples, chief deputy for the Clark County Sheriff's Department, said that when the first lawsuit was filed, the department would not comment on pending lawsuits, according to the News and Tribune.

Sheriff Noel has not publicly commented on the lawsuits.

The Clark County Jail is in Jeffersonville, about 2 miles north of Louisville, Kentucky.

Days after the alleged incident, Lowe was fired and charged with trafficking with an inmate, aiding escape and official misconduct, WDRB reported. The station said Lowe admitted to accepting the bribe and allowing inmates to access restricted areas of the jail.

His criminal jury trial is scheduled for September, WHAS reported.

A previous civil rights lawsuit was filed in June by 20 women against Noel, Lowe and unnamed jail officers.

"Women were harassed, sexually assaulted, threatened and completely terrified," Bart Betteau, an attorney for one of the plaintiffs, told WTHR. "When I met with each and every one of these women, and they broke down repeatedly, you get the impression, the understanding of what these women went through."

At the time of the previous lawsuit, Maples said the rape claims were investigated internally and no rape charges have been filed, according to WHAS.

After the Oct. 23 incident, jail officials punished the women by leaving the lights on for 72 straight hours, denying them normal privileges and confiscating pillows, blankets and hygiene items, according to the lawsuit.

"The violation of the Plaintiffs' constitutional rights was the result not only of a single bad actor, Lowe, but also due to a systemic failure on behalf of the Clark County Sheriff who failed to properly staff the jail, train the jail officers, and supervise the jail officers to make sure they maintained adequate security at the jail," the July lawsuit states.

The women in both lawsuits are seeking compensatory damages and jury trials.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

They're suing the officers. How does this work exactly, shouldn't they sue the county as well? Or is the county liable through its officers? Or has the county already settled?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on July 27, 2022, 03:39:06 AMThey're suing the officers. How does this work exactly, shouldn't they sue the county as well? Or is the county liable through its officers? Or has the county already settled?

This is a feature of the odd operation of the American constitutional system in these kinds of cases  States are protected by sovereign immunity and can't be sued for their conduct of government operations. Technically this doctrine doesn't apply to local governments like municipalities but functionally the Supreme Court has made them immune for any conduct by officials or state employees not clearly authorized by policy. Since few municipalities or counties have an official policy of abusing citizens or inmates, in practice that means the local governments are effectively immune.

The courts instead have created a kind of Rube Goldberg system of private liability where people injured or deprived of civil rights by government action can instead sue the individual officers involved on a private tort claim, but only if they thread their way through a complex "qualified immunity" doctrine created by the courts to protect state officials from lots of lawsuits.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2022, 09:02:25 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 27, 2022, 03:39:06 AMThey're suing the officers. How does this work exactly, shouldn't they sue the county as well? Or is the county liable through its officers? Or has the county already settled?

This is a feature of the odd operation of the American constitutional system in these kinds of cases  States are protected by sovereign immunity and can't be sued for their conduct of government operations. Technically this doctrine doesn't apply to local governments like municipalities but functionally the Supreme Court has made them immune for any conduct by officials or state employees not clearly authorized by policy. Since few municipalities or counties have an official policy of abusing citizens or inmates, in practice that means the local governments are effectively immune.

The courts instead have created a kind of Rube Goldberg system of private liability where people injured or deprived of civil rights by government action can instead sue the individual officers involved on a private tort claim, but only if they thread their way through a complex "qualified immunity" doctrine created by the courts to protect state officials from lots of lawsuits.

Thanks.

jimmy olsen

https://mobile.twitter.com/colpeoplespress/status/1559908887243128832

QuoteCW Police Shooting: after putting his hsnds up, giving himself up and disarming himself 3 Denver police officers shoot man and 6 bystanders. DPD has said they felt their actions were justified. DPD were the only ones to fire any shots.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Well I have to admit the facts don't sound good for DPD there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Meh. Sounds like they fucked up, but not maliciously so.

Dude stuck his hand into his hoodie and pulled out a gun. Cop reacted before realizing he was throwing the gun away.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned