The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2021, 11:32:31 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 12, 2021, 11:16:43 AM
Should have gone after the ham sandwich instead.
Why do these grand jury proceedings fail so often against cops?  Is it because prosecutors deliberately tank their case, or is it because they're pressured to bring these cases to the grand juries that they normally wouldn't, because they know it wouldn't go through?

So I don't know about grand juries, and I've never prosecuted a cop.  But I have been asked to prepare opinions on whether or not to prosecute a cop.  I just completed one recently.  Because of the age of the matter we would have had to proceed by indictment - which would leave it open for the cop to select trial by jury.

In speaking with a couple of other prosecutors they mentioned how difficult it is to get a jury to convict a police officer.  People like police officers, and will give them every possible benefit of the doubt.

Fun fact - the only time I recommended charges against an officer the police then refused to actually charge the guy.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: HVC on February 12, 2021, 11:35:08 AM
How does the grand jury system work in ny? are they decided by professionals, or the public?

Regular jury pool, same people as petit jury.

FYI, the "grand" refers to their size.  16 instead of 12 IIRC.

Valmy

Yeah and when I did it we were not even in a court room. We would just be around a conference table and the prosecutor would come in and give his presentation and then we would be left alone to talk about it and then talk to the judge.

It was kind of weirdly informal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

John Oliver on Police raids: https://youtu.be/WYdi1bL6s10

Biggest surprise was that police department aren't liable for any damages if they burst into the wrong home, apparently? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2021, 11:32:31 AM
Why do these grand jury proceedings fail so often against cops?  Is it because prosecutors deliberately tank their case, or is it because they're pressured to bring these cases to the grand juries that they normally wouldn't, because they know it wouldn't go through?

I honestly don't know; grand jury practice is a mystery to me.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

Just another stop for a traffic violation, this time a 2LT in uniform:

https://youtu.be/ktiozJt7WJQ

"I'm honestly afraid to get out of the car." 
"Yeah, you should be."

https://www.suffolknewsherald.com/2021/04/09/lawsuit-alleges-windsor-police-misconduct/

QuoteLawsuit alleges Windsor police misconduct

A lawsuit filed April 2 in Norfolk's federal court claims two Windsor police officers assaulted and threatened a person of color during a traffic stop.

According to the suit, 2nd Lt. Caron Nazario, an Army Medical Corps officer of Latinx and African American descent, was in uniform driving his new Chevrolet Tahoe SUV west on U.S. Route 460 through town last December. He was near the town's Food Lion when he saw a Windsor Police Department cruiser — driven by Officer Daniel Crocker — signal him to pull over.

The lawsuit contends Nazario signaled his compliance by activating his turn signal and continued driving below the posted 35 mph speed limit looking for a safe, well-lit place to stop. He found one less than a mile ahead: a BP gas station on the opposite side of the highway.

Per the incident report Crocker filed after the fact, which is included as an exhibit in the lawsuit, the stop had been in regards to a missing license plate and "dark tinted windows." He characterizes Nazario's actions as "eluding police" and deems it a "high risk" traffic stop, while acknowledging Nazario's "low rate of speed" in the same report.

The suit, however, claims the vehicle had temporary cardboard license plates taped to the inside of the rear window of the vehicle "at the top and on the passenger side, visible from behind."

Another officer, Joe Gutierrez, heard Crocker's report to dispatchers and arrived at the BP shortly after Crocker did. The officers' body camera footage shows both exiting their patrol cars with guns drawn.

A tense exchange follows, with the officers demanding that Nazario exit his vehicle. In a video of the incident Nazario recorded on his cell phone, he repeatedly asks the officers "What's going on?" and receives responses of "Get out of the car now!"

That is, until one of them — identified in the lawsuit as Gutierrez — replies, "What's going on? You're fixin' to ride the lightning, son."

"This is a colloquial expression for an execution, originating from glib reference to execution by the electric chair," the lawsuit states.

When Nazario says he's "honestly afraid" to exit the vehicle, Gutierrez's body cam records the officer replying, "Yeah, you should be."

The exchange continues until Gutierrez, as shown on his body cam, tells Nazario "you're under arrest ... you're being detained for obstruction of justice." The officers then spray him with oleoresin capsicum, commonly known as pepper spray.

According to the department's incident reports, when Crocker attempted to unlock and open the driver's door, the driver hit the officer's hand away, and still refused to exit the vehicle, at which time he was OC sprayed. The driver then reportedly stepped out of the vehicle, but refused to comply and lay on the ground, and a "short struggle" with the officers ensued.

"In an attempt to get the driver on the ground, the driver was actively resisting, Officer Gutierrez delivered knee strikes to try to gain compliance," Crocker writes. "The driver went down on one knee, however would not lay flat."

The suit, however, claims Nazario had his hands up and out of the vehicle the entire time and "at no time does Lt. Nazario touch or smack either Gutierrez or Crocker during this interaction."

With Nazario in handcuffs, blinded by the OC spray and in custody, an emergency medical technician asked if Nazario had any firearms in the vehicle, to which he replied he did. Upon locating the weapon, Crocker ran Nazario's identification through his patrol car's computer system, which confirmed Nazario's driver's license and concealed carry permit were both valid. He then checked the gun's serial number to see if it was stolen. It wasn't.

"Gutierrez watched this unfold and failed to stop Crocker or intervene in this unlawful search, despite having reasonable opportunity to do so," the suit states.

As Nazario's vision begins to return, Gutierrez is heard on Crocker's body cam acknowledging Nazario's reasons for continuing to drive to the well-lit BP.

"I get it," he says. "The media spewing race relations between law enforcement and minorities, I get it," adding that it "happens all the time" and that "80% of the time, it is a minority."

The incident concludes with Gutierrez saying to Nazario, "If you want to fight and argue ... you have that right as a citizen, if that's what you want, we'll charge you ... If you want to just chill, let this go, and no charges filed, we'll take the handcuffs off, we'll get you a bottle of water ... and sit here until you feel comfortable driving."

According to Crocker's report, Nazario was told he could be charged with improper display of license plates, obstruction of justice with force, misdemeanor elude and assault on a law enforcement officer or avoid charges due to his being active-duty military.

"I did not want to see Nazario's career be ruined by poor judgement (sic)," Crocker writes. "Nazario chose not be charged."

The suit describes the body cam and cell phone footage as "behavior consistent with a disgusting nationwide trend of law enforcement officers, who believing they can operate with complete impunity, engage in unprofessional, discourteous, racially biased, dangerous and sometimes deadly abuses of authority."

It further characterizes Crocker's and Gutierrez's after-the-fact incident reports as containing "near identical material misstatements of fact" that "ignores and intentionally omits material facts of the Defendant's escalation, use of firearms, and the threats of murder within a minute of pulling Lt. Nazario over."

The suit asks for $1 million in damages. Nazario's lawyer, Jonathan M. Arthur of Thomas H. Roberts & Associates P.C., said no court date has been set yet.

The town's website lists biographies for seven officers, including the chief, on Windsor's Police Department, but officers Crocker and Gutierrez aren't named.

Police Chief R.D. "Dan" Riddle, whom Gutierrez identifies in his body cam audio as having been on-scene at one point in an off-duty capacity, declined to comment on the "pending litigation." Nor did he comment on the employment status of the two involved officers, when asked.

Windsor has scheduled a closed session for its April 13 Town Council meeting to discuss "Consultation with Legal Counsel," according to the meeting's agenda.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

fromtia

Saw the Windsor PD video, against my better judgement. "Get ready to ride the lightning" . It's so bizarre that a cop is having some sort of adolescent wank fantasy and delivering action movie one liners. wtf? Who are these people? Where do they find them? What is police training . half an hour video of some way of the warrior bs?

"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Sheilbh

God that sounds like something Nick Frost would say in Hot Fuzz :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Oexmelin

Quote from: fromtia on April 11, 2021, 06:38:22 PM
Saw the Windsor PD video, against my better judgement. "Get ready to ride the lightning" . It's so bizarre that a cop is having some sort of adolescent wank fantasy and delivering action movie one liners. wtf? Who are these people? Where do they find them? What is police training . half an hour video of some way of the warrior bs?

It's not that bizarre. Action movies have nurtured copious power fantasies associated with guns in the US.
Que le grand cric me croque !

grumbler

"Ride the Lightning" is cop slang for getting tazed.  The cop was apparently warning the 2nd Lt that he was going to taze him if he didn't cooperate, but it DOES sound dumb to anyone that doesn't speak cop slang (including the victim in this case).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fromtia

Quote from: grumbler on April 11, 2021, 07:40:55 PM
"Ride the Lightning" is cop slang for getting tazed.  The cop was apparently warning the 2nd Lt that he was going to taze him if he didn't cooperate, but it DOES sound dumb to anyone that doesn't speak cop slang (including the victim in this case).

Follow police commands and you won't be harmed. Commands may be conflicting and they may be given in jargon or slang. Good luck citizen!
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: fromtia on April 12, 2021, 12:01:21 AM
Follow police commands and you won't be harmed. Commands may be conflicting and they may be given in jargon or slang. Good luck citizen!

*Limit one per customer. FORCE reserves right to withdraw offer at any time or impose additional alternative conditions without prior warning. Service availability may vary.  May not be available in contiguous 50 states. Service ma not be available to non-English speakers, wise-ass punks or persons with excessive melanin, to be determined within the sole discretion of FORCE. Must provide copy of PBA card in good standing and records of payment in last 30 days.  Other restrictions may apply.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson