The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Fucking Lethbridge.  A few years ago a cop got in trouble there for running over a deer repeatedly in an attempt to euthanize it.

jimmy olsen

That father and son pair have been charged with murder.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Pretty detailed analysis for the layman
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1258709358097174532

QuoteHow lawsuits against American cops accused of excessive force keep failing thanks to protection by the Supreme Court. Even when unarmed people are shot dead or are left permanently injured.

@Reuters
investigates how the high court protects cops who kill

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/usa-police-immunity-scotus/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on May 07, 2020, 11:09:31 AM
Here's one that's gone somewhat viral:

Lethbridge, Alberta police officers take down a girl dressed as a Stormtrooper on May 4th after receiving a complaint of a person carrying a weapon down the street:

https://globalnews.ca/video/6908239/woman-in-star-wars-stormtrooper-costume-arrested-by-lethbridge-police-on-may-4th

They've now installed a warning sign.

The incident is also being investigated: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/lethbridge-police-storm-trooper-arrest-investigation-1.5561474
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I wouldn't walk around town with something that intentionally looks like a gun, but that's me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2020, 03:31:26 AM
I wouldn't walk around town with something that intentionally looks like a gun, but that's me.

Unless you are a fat white guy in Kentucky.

Syt

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/minneapolis-police-george-floyd-fatal-arrest-officer-kneeling-neck/

QuoteVideo shows Minneapolis cop with knee on neck of motionless, moaning man who later died

A video taken by an onlooker Monday evening shows a Minneapolis police officer keeping his knee on the neck of a motionless, moaning man at the foot of a squad car. The man, who was later identified as George Floyd, later died.

Tuesday afternoon, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo announced that four officers involved are now "former employees" with the department, CBS Minnesota reports. Mayor Jacob Frey tweeted, "Four responding MPD officers involved in the death of George Floyd have been terminated. This is the right call."

A police statement said officers were responding to a "forgery in progress." "Officers were advised that the suspect was sitting on top of a blue car and appeared to be under the influence," the statement said. "Two officers arrived and located the suspect, a male believed to be in his 40s, in his car. He was ordered to step from his car.

"After he got out, he physically resisted officers. Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and noted he appeared to be suffering medical distress. Officers called for an ambulance," according to the statement.

The man died soon after, the statement said, adding: "At no time were weapons of any type used by anyone involved in this incident.  ... Body worn cameras were on and activated during this incident."

Arradondo said at a press conference Tuesday that the FBI will lead the investigation into the incident due to the possible civil rights violation.

The man who died was identified as George Floyd by Ben Crump, a prominent civil rights and personal injury attorney who said he had been hired by Floyd's family.

"We all watched the horrific death of George Floyd on video as witnesses begged the police officer to take him into the police car and get off his neck," Crump said in a statement. "This abusive, excessive and inhumane use of force cost the life of a man who was being detained by the police for questioning about a non-violent charge." 

Two of the officers involved have been "relieved of duty status," Arradondo said. The officers are still receiving pay, but have no law enforcement duties.

The video, captured by Darnella Frazier, begins with the man, who is black, groaning and repeatedly saying "I can't breathe" to the officer who has his knee on the man's neck. The officer is white.

"Please," the man pleads. "I can't breathe," and continues to moan. An officer keeps insisting he get in the car, while the man repeatedly says he can't.

"My stomach hurts. My neck hurts. Everything hurts. ... (I need) water or something. Please. Please. I can't breathe, officer. ... I cannot breathe. I cannot breathe." That was followed by more groaning.

A female bystander points out the subject's nose is bleeding.

In an ongoing commentary permeated by cursing, a male onlooker says: "That's bulls**t, Bro. You're stopping his breathing right there, Bro. Get him off the ground, Bro. You're being a bum right now."

The man says the officer is "enjoying that. He's a bum, Bro. You could have put him in the car by now. He's not resisting arrest or nothing. You're enjoying it. Look at you. Your body language — you bum. You know that's bogus right now."

The female onlooker repeatedly urges the officers to check the subject's pulse. "He's not responsive right now," a bystander says. "He's not moving." An ambulance then arrives and takes the man away.

"You just really killed that man, Bro," the male onlooker says to the officer.

Frazier, who took the video, wrote on Facebook: "They killed him right in front of cup foods over south on 38th and Chicago!! No type of sympathy 💔💔#POLICEBRUTALITY."

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey called the man's death "simply awful," and "wrong at every level" at the press conference Tuesday.

"For the better part of the night I've been trying to find the words to describe what happened and all I keep coming back to is that he should not have died," Frey said.

"What we saw was horrible, completely and utterly messed up," he said. "This man's life matters, he matters. He was someone's son, someone's family member, someone's friend. He was a human being and his life mattered."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

There were protests afterwards:

Some protestors headed to the precinct the cops supposedly worked from and started to smash windows with stones and trash squad cars. Which led to a "robust response" by police.

—Stephen Jay Gould

fromtia

Especially grim and horrifying.The cops were fired and are no doubt heroes on some parts of the internet already. Racism is over though, and this sort of thing also happens to white people apparently, but the media always misses it. The victim was doing something wrong and consequently deserved death. And on and on and on....

Perhaps these cops will be charged with a crime at some point?
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Valmy

Quote from: fromtia on May 27, 2020, 09:16:43 AM
Racism is over though, and this sort of thing also happens to white people apparently, but the media always misses it.

I don't understand that argument. So long as the police also kill white people then they shouldn't be held accountable? Talk about a bizarre whataboutism. Pretty sure if a citizen ends up killed by the police an investigation needs to be made and disciplinary action taken if necessary. That is just respecting the civil rights of our people. What about the fifth amendment to the Constition?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 28, 2020, 01:12:53 PM
Apparently, rioting and looting in that city now.

Well shit, that doesn't help anybody.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.