News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: KRonn on March 06, 2015, 11:14:21 AM
The Russian economy is in the dumpster, the ruble is cratering, bonds at junk bond status. Probably most the result of sanctions but not all.  I've read that Crimea's basket case economy is costing them a fortune as well. Now it's as if Putin is stuck in what he's doing, and while he'll most likely get a piece of Ukraine and get what he wants, how will Russia really be better off for it economically? Not for a while anyway. The nation's economy and government are a mess of corruption and criminal activity. I'm just amazed that the people are taking all this stuff so quietly. Yeah, they buy the propaganda which really is remarkable given how over the top it is. Putin gets good ratings for his invasions but that stuff isn't making the nation stronger and better off. Plus I don't really believe the polls as I assume many Russians are quite afraid to say they don't support Putin.

Don't worry, he has his priorities straight:

http://rt.com/politics/238445-russia-defense-order-budget/

Quote'Budget optimization will not affect Russian defense order' - Putin

Russian authorities have managed to preserve the important parts of the state's defenses despite a current effort to cut all government expenses, President Vladimir Putin has said.

"I would like to thank you because despite all the work aimed at optimization [of the state budget - RT] you managed to keep all basic parameters of the state defense order and the armaments program. This is very important for reaching the planned parameters of the renewal of our Military Forces and Navy," Putin told Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu and Finance Minister Anton Siluanov.

The president told the ministers it was important to continue the housing program for military officers and repairs of existing military bases.

"And finally, this year we must index all pensions for military pensioners. I mean the pensioners of the Defense Ministry and other departments," Putin concluded.

Earlier this week, the Russian president's press secretary, Dmitry Peskov, told the press that continuing economic pressure from foreign countries would never affect Moscow's foreign policy. "No sanctions would force Russia to make changes to the persistent line it follows in international affairs," Peskov stated.

Russia is currently working on a major program of import replacement in the defense industry. The launch of the program was prompted by the sanctions, but top state officials have said that the replacement would go on even if the sanctions are lifted.

In early December last year, Russia's deputy PM in charge of the defense industry, Dmitry Rogozin, told reporters that he expected the state defense order to be fulfilled by about 93 percent without corrections and possibly by 100 percent if corrections to the rapidly changing international situation are made. He also said that Russia would stop buying ready-made weapons from foreign suppliers and noted that the country would continue the plan to become independent from foreign arms producers even if Western sanctions are lifted.

In September, Putin ordered the winding up of two state agencies which were responsible for placing and executing weapons orders for the military. Their functions were transferred to the Defense Ministry, Finance Ministry and Audit Chamber.

Putin has given presidential status to the Military Industrial Commission – the body that assures cooperation between the military and the defense industry. The president took personal control of the commission, while Rogozin was appointed deputy chairman of the body.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: KRonn on March 06, 2015, 11:14:21 AM
The Russian economy is in the dumpster, the ruble is cratering, bonds at junk bond status. Probably most the result of sanctions but not all.  I've read that Crimea's basket case economy is costing them a fortune as well. Now it's as if Putin is stuck in what he's doing, and while he'll most likely get a piece of Ukraine and get what he wants, how will Russia really be better off for it economically? Not for a while anyway. The nation's economy and government are a mess of corruption and criminal activity. I'm just amazed that the people are taking all this stuff so quietly. Yeah, they buy the propaganda which really is remarkable given how over the top it is. Putin gets good ratings for his invasions but that stuff isn't making the nation stronger and better off. Plus I don't really believe the polls as I assume many Russians are quite afraid to say they don't support Putin.

Yeah I don't trust polls from there at all. Imagine you are in today's Russia and a guy with a notebook comes to you or calls you and asks if you like what Putin is doing. If you have the tiniest sense of survival instinct, you will say yes.

However, you Westerners will never understand the attitude in that part of the world. First of all economic hardship because of overwhelming odds attacking you from the outside is business as usual, not short term, but on a grand historical case. Sometimes it was true, sometimes it was propaganda, but all generations there had their share of it.
Then there is the case of the dissenters actually speaking up. Against what? Self-defense of Russia? You will be labelled a traitor, or worse, a (servant of) Jew(s) quicker before you could say "liberalism".

Tamas

Its the mob, as in organised crime gang, ruling via controlling a real mob around the country with lies, forcing the silent majority into consent (remember Nazi Germany?).

It will end once they ran their own country to the ground, but not before. Hopefully they will also destroy their own country, and not the world.

KRonn

QuoteYeah I don't trust polls from there at all. Imagine you are in today's Russia and a guy with a notebook comes to you or calls you and asks if you like what Putin is doing. If you have the tiniest sense of survival instinct, you will say yes.

And sadly for the Russian people, they must still be quite accustomed to this kind of survival mentality from previous regimes, especially from Soviet times.

Zanza

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31796226
QuotePutin reveals secrets of Russia's Crimea takeover plot

Vladimir Putin has admitted for the first time that the plan to annex Crimea was ordered weeks before the referendum on self-determination.

Crimea was formally absorbed into Russia on 18 March, to international condemnation, after unidentified gunmen took over the peninsula.

Mr Putin said on TV he had ordered work on "returning Crimea" to begin at an all-night meeting on 22 February.

The meeting was called after Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych was ousted.

Speaking last year, Mr Putin had said only that he took his final decision about Crimea after secret, undated opinion polls showed 80% of Crimeans favoured joining Russia.

The findings of these polls were borne out by the outcome of the referendum on 16 March, he told Russian state TV last April.

Speaking in a forthcoming Russian TV documentary, Mr Putin said a meeting with officials had been held on 22-23 February to plan the rescue of Ukraine's deposed president.

"I invited the leaders of our special services and the defence ministry to the Kremlin and set them the task of saving the life of the president of Ukraine, who would simply have been liquidated," he said.

"We finished about seven in the morning. When we were parting, I told all my colleagues, 'We are forced to begin the work to bring Crimea back into Russia'."

The trailer for The Path To The Motherland was broadcast on Sunday night with no release date announced.

[...]

:huh: I am surprised he so readily admits this.

derspiess

He had it forced upon him.  Poor guy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Like anybody's going to do anything about it.

Nigga steals Super Bowl rings, man.  Think he gives a shit what people think about him anymore?

citizen k

Quote from: KRonn on March 06, 2015, 11:14:21 AMThe nation's economy and government are a mess of corruption and criminal activity. I'm just amazed that the people are taking all this stuff so quietly.

Occupy Wall Street worked really well in the U.S. ;)

citizen k

US sends heavy armour to Baltic states to 'deter' Russia

Riga (AFP) - The United States on Monday delivered more than 100 pieces of military equipment to vulnerable NATO-allied Baltic states in a move designed to provide them with the ability to deter potential Russian threats.

The deliveries are intended to "demonstrate resolve to President (Vladimir) Putin and Russia that collectively we can come together," US Major General John R. O'Connor told AFP as he oversaw the delivery of the equipment in the port of Riga.

The delivery included Abrams tanks, Bradley fighting vehicles, Scout Humvees as well as support equipment and O'Connor said the armour would stay "for as long as required to deter Russian aggression".

The three former Soviet-ruled Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, all NATO and European Union members since 2004, have very little miliary hardware of their own.

Moscow's annexation of Crimea last year and its meddling in the conflict in eastern Ukraine have galvanised NATO and focused particular attention on its vulnerable Baltic members.

A series of military manoeuvres by Russia in the Baltic area has stoked deep concern that the Kremlin could try to destabilise the countries that were in its orbit during Soviet times.

NATO is countering Russia's moves by boosting defences on Europe's eastern flank with a spearhead force of 5,000 troops and command centres in six formerly communist members of the alliance, including the three Baltic states and Bulgaria, Poland and Romania.

"What we're demonstrating is a unified front from the north to the south," O'Connor said.

Lithuanian President Dalia Grybauskaite warned last week that Baltic states must be ready to repel any invasion on their own for "at least 72 hours" before NATO allies could send in help.

3,000 US troops head to Eastern Europe for exercises
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — About 3,000 U.S. soldiers from the Georgia-based 3rd Infantry Division will deploy to Eastern Europe beginning next week, to conduct training exercises with forces from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, the Pentagon said Monday.

The deployment is part of an ongoing U.S. military troop rotation aimed at bolstering support for NATO allies who are worried about escalating aggression by Russia.

Army Col. Steve Warren told reporters that about 750 U.S. military tanks, helicopters, and other vehicles and equipment arrived in Riga, Latvia, on Monday, as part of the deployment. Much of the heavy equipment is expected to stay in the region, as the U.S. continues to rotate troops in and out of the Baltics.

The Defense Department has announced plans to reduce its overall permanent basing in Europe. But at the same time, it is ramping up its program to send military units on short-term deployments across Europe for training and exercises. Over the past year, the U.S. has sent a variety of troops, including special operations forces, to exercises and training program in Eastern Europe, including Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia.

Those nations are particularly concerned about potential threats from Russia in the wake of Moscow's annexation of Crimea and the ongoing fighting between Ukraine and Russian-backed separatists in the eastern part of the country.

The 1st Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division soldiers, based at Fort Stewart, will take over as the 2nd Cavalry Regiment leaves this month. The brigade is expected to be in the region for military exercises for about three months.

Zanza

Good. I wish the Western European governments had the balls to station their own troops in the Baltics as well.

alfred russel

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2015, 01:38:55 PM
Like anybody's going to do anything about it.

Nigga steals Super Bowl rings, man.  Think he gives a shit what people think about him anymore?

Can you really cheat a guy out of a super bowl ring that he got through cheating?

As far as I'm concerned he liberated that ring.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

The 1st Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division soldiers, based at Fort Stewart, will take over as the 2nd Cavalry Regiment leaves this month. The brigade is expected to be in the region for military exercises for about three months.

Sending Custer's boys, are we?   :hmm:

Jacob

Good to see NATO reinforcing the Baltics and Poland.

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on March 09, 2015, 03:10:12 PM

In Russian Languish, Yakov is condemning the naked NATO aggression.  :P

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on March 09, 2015, 03:40:01 PM
Quote from: Jacob on March 09, 2015, 03:10:12 PM

In Russian Languish, Yakov is condemning the naked NATO aggression.  :P

That guy's a wanker.