News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on September 09, 2014, 03:43:12 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2014, 05:12:58 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2014, 01:31:40 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 08, 2014, 01:08:05 PM
Just booked a flight to Moscow in early October today. Will be interesting to see how average Russians see the whole conflict. Not sure if I should broach that topic though as it is a business trip.

Why would a German be flying to Moscow on a "business trip" at this time?  :hmm:

Poland is not going to partition itself.

I'll be in Poland in October. :mad:
I've already had to cancel holidays to Libya and Syria.

:D

Please don't plan a cycling tour of Scotland next spring.  <_<

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on September 09, 2014, 03:58:32 PM
Just booked a flight to Moscow in early October today. Will be interesting to see how average Russians see the whole conflict. Not sure if I should broach that topic though as it is a business trip.

Why would a German be flying to Moscow on a "business trip" at this time?  :hmm:

There's this friend of mine who went on holiday to Japan in 2010, to Syria in 2011, to Boston in 2012 and went to watch a football match in Donetsk in late 2013.

He told me the other day that he's thinking on spending Christmas in NYC.

DGuller

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on September 09, 2014, 03:58:32 PM

Scotland has been good to me.

2010  Tunisia, out just in time.
2011 Libya, cancelled
2011 Syria, cancelled
2011 Athens, riots
2011 England, riots
2012 Scotland, no riots!
2013 Istanbul, riots

DGuller

:hmm: I'm not a believer in coincidences.  I am a big believer in enhanced interrogation techniques, however.   :menace:

citizen k

U.S. Army Choppers Land in Polish Fields to Seek Guidance
By Piotr Skolimowski and Dorota Bartyzel - Sep 10, 2014

Six U.S. army helicopters landed in a rapeseed field in northern Poland to ask for directions after veering off course on their way back from military exercises and alarming locals on guard over tensions across the border.

Five Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters and one tandem-rotor Boeing Co. Chinook chopper touched down near the village of Gruta, 220 kilometers (140 miles) north of Warsaw at about noon yesterday, according to local eyewitnesses. Some residents were at first spooked at the sight of the aircraft, Halina Kowalkowska, the village's head, said by phone.

"We know that security is the most important thing right now," Kowalkowska said. "But thank God it was the Americans."

NATO is intensifying military exercises on Russia's doorstep in Poland and the Baltic states in response to the crisis in neighboring Ukraine. At a summit in Newport, Wales, last week, the alliance agreed to rotate more troops through eastern Europe and set up a rapid-reaction force.

"The Americans came over and asked where they landed," Waldemar Krukowski, a local resident, told TVN24 television. "They wanted to know the name of the village."

Residents brought in leaflets in English about their village and handed them to soldiers, according to Kowalkowska.
Lost Boys

"It was a heavy, thick fog and you could barely see anything, so the boys had to land," she said. "I'm still shaking after a sleepless night."

The helicopters were coming back from Saber Junction exercises in Lithuania to their temporary base in Miroslawiec near the German border, according to Polish army spokesman Lt. Col. Artur Golawski. Twelve aircraft made an unscheduled landing on their way from Lithuania yesterday and the day before in what's a "standard procedure" in poor visibility, he said by phone.

"Those Americans were really heaven sent," Kowalkowska said. "Now, when I think about it we could have served them some food, but we were in shock and the boys had to go."

To contact the reporters on this story: Piotr Skolimowski in Warsaw at [email protected]; Dorota Bartyzel in Warsaw at [email protected]

Polish cargo cult has prayers answered.

Admiral Yi

I imagine it would be a good time for an American to be traveling in Poland right now.

derspiess

Shit yeah-- free drinks at the bar, Polish chicks, etc. 

Wonder how much a flight to Warsaw costs these days :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2014, 03:31:57 PM
Wonder how much a flight to Warsaw is costs days :hmm:
Spoken like a true Pole.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2014, 03:55:12 PM
:angry:  No goetta for you.

You could have polished your sentence a bit more before you hit post. It would have been polite.

derspiess

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on September 10, 2014, 03:31:57 PM
Shit yeah-- free drinks at the bar, Polish chicks, etc. 

Wonder how much a flight to Warsaw costs these days :hmm:

Airdrop them some of those Cincy Bengals Super Bowl Champs '88 hats.  I know you know where they are.