And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on September 09, 2014, 11:11:29 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 09, 2014, 09:26:40 AM
Whatever our problems in the US, thank God we're not dependent upon Gazprom.

The French are one of the few European nations who are not right?  With all of their nukes.

I wouldn't really say few.

Percent of gas consumption that comes from Russia:

Estonia 100%
     Finland 100%
     Latvia 100%
     Lithuania 100%
     Slovakia 98%
     Bulgaria 92%
     Czech Republic 77.6%
     Greece 76%
     Hungary 60%
     Slovenia 52%
     Austria 49%
     Poland 48.15%
     Croatia 37%
     Germany 36%
     Italy 27%
     Romania 27%
     France 14%
     Belgium 5%

Republic of Macedonia 100%
     Belarus 98%
     Serbia,  Montenegro 87%
     Ukraine 66%
     Turkey 64%
     Switzerland 12%

So, west of Germany not so much. No Netherlands, UK, Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Sweden, Norway on the list at all. They have the iron curtain locked down though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

I read that Germany could actually buy its gas elsewhere if necessary, but there is no way that all of Central Europe could do that. Just imagine the outcry in the other countries if Germany would start buying its gas elsewhere and leave Poland etc. hanging.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

I'm thinking of retitling the thread, so shall I remove the "-", add a "15", add some other higher 'teen' ,  insert "infinity" or still leave it open ended ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Savonarola

"Teen Infinity" would be a good name for a youth oriented clothing shop; maybe one that catered to "Twilight's" sparkly vampires
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Zanza

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on September 09, 2014, 03:22:22 PM
"Teen Infinity" would be a good name for a youth oriented clothing shop; maybe one that catered to "Twilight's" sparkly vampires

It's yours, my belated wedding gift, you and CB could have a radical career change, make a fortune out of bad-taste Florida teens.  :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

celedhring

Savonarola

Quote from: mongers on September 09, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on September 09, 2014, 03:22:22 PM

It's yours, my belated wedding gift, you and CB could have a radical career change, make a fortune out of bad-taste Florida teens.  :D

Thanks, I'll use it in a short story, if nothing else.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on September 08, 2014, 05:12:58 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2014, 01:31:40 PM
Quote from: Zanza on September 08, 2014, 01:08:05 PM
Just booked a flight to Moscow in early October today. Will be interesting to see how average Russians see the whole conflict. Not sure if I should broach that topic though as it is a business trip.

Why would a German be flying to Moscow on a "business trip" at this time?  :hmm:

Poland is not going to partition itself.

I'll be in Poland in October. :mad:
I've already had to cancel holidays to Libya and Syria.