News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2014, 09:59:57 AM
Apparently, there was an article in recent Foreign Policy about Putin nuking Warsaw. Or at least that's how the Polish media are reporting that. Any traction to the story?  :ph34r:

You're in a better position than us to know. Was Warsaw nuked?

Alcibiades

The world would be a better place, don't tease.  :(
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Syt

http://rt.com/business/185924-sanctions-eu-oil-airspace-medvedev/

QuoteIf new EU sanctions hit energy sector, Russia may close airspace - Medvedev

Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has warned Russia may shut its air corridors to Western airlines if the next round of European sanctions hit Russian energy companies.

"If there are sanctions related to the energy sector, or further restrictions on Russia's financial sector, we will have to respond asymmetrically," Medvedev said in an interview with the Vedomosti newspaper, published on Monday.

EU ministers will gather on Monday to discuss new sanctions against Russia and are rumored to be introduced on Tuesday. The prime minister promised a strong retaliation if the West slaps Russia with more sanctions.

"We could impose transport restrictions," Medvedev said, adding, "We believe we have friendly relations with our partners, and foreign airlines of friendly countries are permitted to fly over Russia. However, we'll have to respond to any restrictions imposed on us," the prime minister said.

After sanctions hit Aeroflot's low-cost subsidiary Dobrolet in late July, Medvedev discussed with ministers the possibility of limiting, of even completely blocking, European flights to Asia that overfly Russia.

"If Western carriers have to bypass our airspace, this could drive many struggling airlines into bankruptcy. This is not the way to go. We just hope our partners realize this at some point," he told Vedomosti.

Flying over Russian airspace saves Western airlines headed to Asia at least 4 hours of flight time, which adds up to about $30,000 per flight.

Lufthansa said it could potentially lose more than €1 billion in three months if it does not use Russian airspace. Lufthansa, along with British Airways and Air France, are the largest EU airlines. US airlines currently don't operate over Siberian airspace.

Many low-cost airlines have decided not to launch new routes to Russia, with the threat of sanctions possibly a factor. Last week Ryanair ditched plans to establish a Dublin-St. Petersburg route, and easyJet, another European-based airline, dropped its plans to develop a London-St. Petersburg service.

Medvedev didn't specify whether the blocked airspace would also apply to cargo and delivery companies, such as UPS and FedEx.

Oil at stake

EU sanctions, which will reportedly be introduced on Tuesday, will ban Russia's three main oil companies- Rosneft, Gazprom Neft, and Transneft - from raising long-term (longer than 30 days) debt on European capital markets, according to the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times.

Rosneft - Russia's largest oil producer - was added to the US sanctions list on July 16 and was put on the EU list on July 29. Russia's largest independent natural gas producer, Novatek, also was added to the blacklist in July, along with a ban on the export of hi-tech oil equipment needed in Arctic, deep sea, and shale extraction projects to Russia.
Gazprom Neft is the oil subsidiary of Russian gas giant Gazprom.

Transneft is Russia's state-owned oil pipeline company that exports all of Rosneft's crude oil, and 56 percent of Russia's crude exports.

Sanctions likely won't apply to privately-owned Russian oil groups such as Lukoil and Surgutneftegaz.

The EU will also reportedly follow America's lead on banning goods that can have dual military and civilian use from Russian companies that also supply the Russian military, the WSJ reported Sunday. On July 16, the US blacklisted several defense sector companies include Almaz-Antey Corporation, the Kalashnikov Concern and Instrument Design Bureau, as well as companies such as Izhmash, Basalt, and Uralvagonzavod.

"Sanctions are always a double-edged sword. Ultimately they end up backfiring and end up hurting those who are first to impose restrictions," Medvedev said.

The EU has agreed on the new sanctions but said they could be delayed or even cancelled if Russia shows willingness to resolve the conflict in Ukraine.

On Friday Kiev introduced a ceasefire to calm fighting between the Ukrainian army and anti-government forces, but fighting and shelling continued in the country's east.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on September 08, 2014, 10:47:48 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2014, 09:59:57 AM
Apparently, there was an article in recent Foreign Policy about Putin nuking Warsaw. Or at least that's how the Polish media are reporting that. Any traction to the story?  :ph34r:

You're in a better position than us to know. Was Warsaw nuked?

Yes.  Yes it was.  Many times.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Zanza

Just booked a flight to Moscow in early October today. Will be interesting to see how average Russians see the whole conflict. Not sure if I should broach that topic though as it is a business trip. 

The Brain

Quote from: Zanza on September 08, 2014, 01:08:05 PM
Just booked a flight to Moscow in early October today. Will be interesting to see how average Russians see the whole conflict. Not sure if I should broach that topic though as it is a business trip.

:rust: ?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

I was going to say you might not have to broach the topic, but then I realized I never dealt with Russians professionally.  Do they do a good job of avoiding iffy topics in the workplace?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Will be interesting to see how average Russians see the whole conflict.

Like the way they always see everything: through the prism of nationalism-fueled, conspiracy-laden misinformation.

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2014, 01:10:03 PM

:rust: ?
I expect to land at Domededovo, not the Red Square. Red Square would obviously be much cooler... :thumbsdown:

Zanza

Quote from: derspiess on September 08, 2014, 01:12:13 PM

I was going to say you might not have to broach the topic, but then I realized I never dealt with Russians professionally.  Do they do a good job of avoiding iffy topics in the workplace?
Well, one of my colleagues opted out of the trip due to the "uncertain political situation", so I guess they'll at least wonder why he won't join the workshop. ;)

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2014, 01:14:29 PM

Like the way they always see everything: through the prism of nationalism-fueled, conspiracy-laden misinformation.
Let's see. I was in South Korea last year when Kim Jong-Un made new threats that got a lot of press in Western media and the South Koreans just shrugged and were not concerned at all.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on September 08, 2014, 01:18:23 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 08, 2014, 01:14:29 PM

Let's see. I was in South Korea last year when Kim Jong-Un made new threats that got a lot of press in Western media and the South Koreans just shrugged and were not concerned at all.

South Koreans have dealt with that bluster since the 1950s.  Of course it's old hat to them.  And they're an educated, modern society with the benefit of a media that doesn't end in .ru.

Russians, on the other hand, are a dirty, backwards people.  Combine that with a rediscovery of post-Soviet relevance, I suspect they're a bit more excitable than South Koreans these days.  Things Are Turning Up Putin!