News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

We could all learn a lot from Michael Scott.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on September 04, 2014, 08:31:01 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 04, 2014, 06:39:42 AM
Which is not the point I was making. 911 was not the case of "defending a member state's territory". It was a case of a hostile terorrist action carried out in a member state's territory. Not the same thing.

Well, NATO differed with your interpretation, but feel free to try to re-define your way into not being wrong if that makes you feel smarter.
NATO may call it whatever it wants, with no self-serving explanation I'm sure, but we all know what was meant.  NATO's potential bluff against Russia has never been called yet.

KRonn

My view is that Russia will follow a similar but less forceful game plan as he's doing with Ukraine to make moves on the Baltic states. Russian operatives will foment protests among the Russian speaking residents but this time Russia will keep a much lower profile, at first. The protests will get stronger and more vehement over time, prompting Putin to start blustering about the injustices to Russian minorities. In the ensuing fighting it'll be made more to look like local forces against the government so as not to provoke NATO (too much). Fighting will be more like civil unrest, civil war, and unless it gets to a point where Russian forces, equipment and advisors move in as they did early on in Ukraine then Putin may be able to stall any NATO action until it's too late. But then, without Russian equipment the insurgency can't likely win so Putin will try to find ways to justify helping the minority Russians/Russian operatives/special forces or to do so in much less visible ways, having learned from Ukraine. It's a gamble but probably Putin's most logical potential move, as I do think he'll really want to move on the Baltics. I do't see any such plan working with Poland though.

The Minsky Moment

There is no way Russia goes after Poland.  No way.
Baltics are a different story.  Still unikely, but not impossible some sort of indirect subversion type tactics could be attempted.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on September 04, 2014, 08:26:59 AM
So he basically drew a red line?  :)
If he backs down on this one he'll destroy 70 years of American foreign policy. I don't think you really think it's comparable to what he said about Syria.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Actually, Truman drew that red line.

derspiess

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 04, 2014, 09:38:10 AM

Actually, Truman drew that red line.

At the Baltics?  I guess he had even more balls than I thought.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: KRonn on September 04, 2014, 09:17:35 AM
My view is that Russia will follow a similar but less forceful game plan as he's doing with Ukraine to make moves on the Baltic states. Russian operatives will foment protests among the Russian speaking residents but this time Russia will keep a much lower profile, at first. The protests will get stronger and more vehement over time, prompting Putin to start blustering about the injustices to Russian minorities. In the ensuing fighting it'll be made more to look like local forces against the government so as not to provoke NATO (too much). Fighting will be more like civil unrest, civil war, and unless it gets to a point where Russian forces, equipment and advisors move in as they did early on in Ukraine then Putin may be able to stall any NATO action until it's too late. But then, without Russian equipment the insurgency can't likely win so Putin will try to find ways to justify helping the minority Russians/Russian operatives/special forces or to do so in much less visible ways, having learned from Ukraine. It's a gamble but probably Putin's most logical potential move, as I do think he'll really want to move on the Baltics. I do't see any such plan working with Poland though.

Don't see how it can really work as everyone will see right through it from the start. No russian minority will be trusted again on the borders with Russia due to Putin's shenanigans. And if they as much as make a stink the fingers will be pointing to Putin

Berkut

Yeah, and pointing fingers at Putin has been shown to be an effective way of stopping him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 04, 2014, 09:32:04 AM
If he backs down on this one he'll destroy 70 years of American foreign policy. I don't think you really think it's comparable to what he said about Syria.

I'm not sure "70 years of foreign policy" weighs that much on his mind.  Anyway it was a throw-away comment.  I don't know if he's serious or not, but I just thought I'd make mention of him talking tough before.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 04, 2014, 09:22:07 AM
There is no way Russia goes after Poland.  No way.
Baltics are a different story.  Still unikely, but not impossible some sort of indirect subversion type tactics could be attempted.

Agreed on Poland, no way. Not even a subversion campaign will have any effect. But I won't be surprised if protests and unrest start in some of the Baltic states after Ukraine, in a couple of years or sooner, especially if events in Ukraine don't damage Putin/Russia too much with sanctions and European/US reactions.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on September 04, 2014, 06:08:03 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 04, 2014, 12:58:36 AM
Well I guess we will see - if Russia invades a NATO state, wouldnt that be the first time NATO actually has to defend any member state's territory?
It would be the second.  9/11 was the first.

Thankfully we have your attention to nitpickery to highlight the largely ceremonial invocation of Article 5 against a non-state actor.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on September 04, 2014, 06:39:42 AM
Which is not the point I was making. 911 was not the case of "defending a member state's territory". It was a case of a hostile terorrist action carried out in a member state's territory. Not the same thing.

Don't fuck with grumbler, he will out-lawyer you.  A is A.

KRonn

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 04, 2014, 09:42:12 AM
Quote from: KRonn on September 04, 2014, 09:17:35 AM

Don't see how it can really work as everyone will see right through it from the start. No russian minority will be trusted again on the borders with Russia due to Putin's shenanigans. And if they as much as make a stink the fingers will be pointing to Putin

Putin ripped off a chunk of Georgia and Crimea under similar pretexts as in Ukraine and he may have more Russian minorities in some of the Baltic states. He's threatening Kazakhstan and probably other of those eastern/southern former USSR republics. I think he's going after all he can and the Baltics are a choice for him, as in at least one case there are 30% Russian minorities, if I remember that right. Plus he can really mess with NATO, maybe try to push NATO to the breaking point with a subversive campaign that they won't know how to really respond. The West may bluster but will NATO go in if the a Baltic state's problems look more internal, even while knowing that Putin has a big hand in things? I would hope NATO would react but Putin would like nothing better than to bring NATO down a couple of notches as well as to gain back some land. And he can always back down if NATO does respond and things aren't going the way he wants.

Tamas

Yes, correct me if I am wrong but relatively speaking, compared to the Baltic States there are like no Russians at all in Ukraine.