News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on September 03, 2014, 11:54:35 AM
I'm really curious to what extent Snowden has played into all of these events.  The leaks, particularly those around Germany, seemed designed to split the western allies as much as possible.  It seems like Putin is pushing things much faster than would seem wise, particularly as far as raising the attention of the west, while the split is still fresh.

I had much sympathy for that guy initially, but now I despise him. He is either a Russian agent, or a narcissistic fool. In both cases he is a traitor to his country.

The Brain

Putin has been diagnosed with Parkinson's and accelerates his world conquest project.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on September 03, 2014, 11:57:57 AM
I had much sympathy for that guy initially, but now I despise him. He is either a Russian agent, or a narcissistic fool. In both cases he is a traitor to his country.

I had no sympathy for him once he left US soil.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on September 03, 2014, 11:59:24 AM
Putin has been diagnosed with Parkinson's and accelerates his world conquest project.

You know what, I was thinking that maybe his obsession with botoxing the hell out of his face stems from the fact that he worries signs of some illness might show.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

I'm really curious to what extent Snowden has played into all of these events.  The leaks, particularly those around Germany, seemed designed to split the western allies as much as possible.  It seems like Putin is pushing things much faster than would seem wise, particularly as far as raising the attention of the west, while the split is still fresh.

Sometimes I think Putin is NATO's rcruiting seargent. If it wasn't for Putin, it seems likely that Nato would have dried up and blown away amidst squabbling and seeming pointlessness. Now, it's the hottest club in the world to join ... and every member is under pressure to increase defence spending.

Putin may well swallow bits of the Ukraine, but the cost has been a much-revitalized alliance that far outspends and outpowers him, and is totally dedicated to containing his ambitions.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

Quote from: Malthus on September 03, 2014, 12:23:00 PM
Sometimes I think Putin is NATO's rcruiting seargent. If it wasn't for Putin, it seems likely that Nato would have dried up and blown away amidst squabbling and seeming pointlessness. Now, it's the hottest club in the world to join ... and every member is under pressure to increase defence spending.

Putin may well swallow bits of the Ukraine, but the cost has been a much-revitalized alliance that far outspends and outpowers him, and is totally dedicated to containing his ambitions.

I'm assuming that either he's going to push this as far as it can go, or that he can lay low for a few years and then try to pull the same thing again.  After all that worked with Georgia.

Warspite

Alternatively, Putin is the final nail in the coffin if NATO only shows in relief the deep foreign policy divisions between its member states.

A lot depends on the Summit tomorrow.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Tamas

Quote from: frunk on September 03, 2014, 12:31:25 PM

I'm assuming that either he's going to push this as far as it can go, or that he can lay low for a few years and then try to pull the same thing again.  After all that worked with Georgia.

Georgia is a good point: what we are seeing now is Act 2, not Act 1. This shit WILL be pulled again unless it is made a very bad decision here and now.

Malthus

Quote from: frunk on September 03, 2014, 12:31:25 PM

Georgia went, for the most part, under the public radar. Ukraine has been playing itself out very much under the spotlight.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Merkel is citing the NATO-Russia Founding Act in opposing placing NATO troops in Eastern Europe:

http://www.dw.de/no-permanent-nato-troop-presence-in-eastern-europe-merkel-says/a-17897288

Problem is, Russia seems to have already violated that agreement.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Warspite on September 03, 2014, 12:31:31 PM

Alternatively, Putin is the final nail in the coffin if NATO only shows in relief the deep foreign policy divisions between its member states.

A lot depends on the Summit tomorrow.

The members have a lot of divisions, but are united as one in not trusting Putin.

Warspite

Really? Georgia was huge news over here.

What is big however is that France has just suspended delivery of the first Mistral.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Quote from: Warspite on September 03, 2014, 12:51:31 PM
Really? Georgia was huge news over here.

We even had people worried that Russia was invading the US.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on September 03, 2014, 12:49:42 PM
Merkel is citing the NATO-Russia Founding Act in opposing placing NATO troops in Eastern Europe:

http://www.dw.de/no-permanent-nato-troop-presence-in-eastern-europe-merkel-says/a-17897288

Problem is, Russia seems to have already violated that agreement.

:bleeding: