News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Ukraine foreign minister calls on NATO, EU to give military support
Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:14pm BST

BERLIN (Reuters) - Ukrainian Foreign Minister Pavlo Klimkin called on NATO and the European Union to provide military support for Ukrainian troops fighting pro-Russian separatists and said the Western military alliance needed to come up with a new strategy towards Kiev.

The four-month conflict in eastern Ukraine has reached a critical phase and a separatist leader said on Saturday that Ukrainian rebels were receiving new military equipment and troops trained in Russia, and would launch a major counter-offensive against government forces.

Klimkin told German radio station Deutschlandfunk the EU and NATO needed to consider what they could and would do if rules get broken, adding that this was the case when Moscow annexed Ukraine's Crimea peninsula in March and was also true of Russia's actions in Donetsk and Luhansk now.

"It's a really tough question for the European Union and NATO: What can they do if a war is practically ... being mongered in Europe by a European country?" he said according to a transcript of the interview due to be broadcast on Sunday.

"And that's why, if they say 'We can't do much there,' it gives rise to the question: How can you then continue to be seen as a responsible partner?"

Asked if he was appealing to the EU and NATO for military aid, Klimkin said: "Yes of course. We need military aid because if we got such aid, it would be easier for our troops on the ground to act."

He said Ukraine faced a tough situation economically and financially so needed help now but would later repay this aid. Alongside direct aid, the country also needed the EU to help it implement reforms, Klimkin said.

He said NATO needed to adopt a new strategy towards Ukraine. Asked what he hoped would come out a NATO summit planned for September, he said he would like Ukraine to get political support, more aid for its troops, help with reforms and help in areas like "fighting terrorism" and cyber security.

But he said there was no question of Ukraine becoming a NATO member at the moment as it lacked consensus at home.

He said the danger of a Russian invasion was omnipresent, adding that Ukrainian troops were coming under fire from Russian territory almost daily and Russia was bringing mercenary soldiers and weapons into the country.

On Friday Ukraine said its artillery destroyed part of an armoured column that entered its territory from Russia overnight. It said its forces came under shellfire from Russia in what seemed to be a major military escalation between the ex-Soviet states.

Klimkin said Ukraine would "fight until the last moment" for Crimea, Donetsk and Luhansk. Asked why Kiev had not declared a state of war, he said that would worsen conditions for people as so-called war commanders would then take responsibility on the ground and some laws would no longer apply.

Klimkin is due to meet his Russian, German and French counterparts in Berlin on Sunday to discuss the Ukraine crisis. The French government has said it hopes the meeting will be the first step towards a Ukraine-Russia peace summit.

(Reporting by Michelle Martin

Will Rohan answer? :unsure:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

i hope not. diplomatic and economic support, not military :yes:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2014, 02:24:05 AM
That's all a bit different from someone who (as a Polish minority in the Soviet Union) went through his entire life being legally called "Witold" and then suddenly he is being told that he has to change his name to "Vytautas" in his legal documents, no?

LOL, "Witold"

Berkut

Quote from: LaCroix on August 17, 2014, 11:24:10 AM

Why not?

Russia is providing military aid to the insurgents, so that rubicon has been crossed.

If the West is serious about supporting the Ukraine, we should be willing to match the help that Russia is giving against the Ukraine.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2014, 12:13:52 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 17, 2014, 11:24:10 AM

Why not?

Russia is providing military aid to the insurgents, so that rubicon has been crossed.

If the West is serious about supporting the Ukraine, we should be willing to match the help that Russia is giving against the Ukraine.
To be fair, Russia is delivering artillery ammunition to Ukrainian troops as well.

LaCroix

Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2014, 12:13:52 PMWhy not?

if we're talking about providing military arms, then sure. i don't think we should directly kill russian soldiers, though.

Berkut

Quote from: LaCroix on August 17, 2014, 12:20:30 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 17, 2014, 12:13:52 PMWhy not?

if we're talking about providing military arms, then sure. i don't think we should directly kill russian soldiers, though.

That, I think, is what is being talked about. I don't think there is any serious proposal to engage in direct intervention.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

We're already giving them body armor and night vision gear.

alfred russel

This is the mother of all boring ass invasions. Wars of conquest in the 21st century are more tedious than any other point in history.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Apparently, nationalists from the Pravy sektor have put an ultimatum to the Ukrainian government, demanding the interior minister is fired or they will "march on Kiev". That's the problem with Eastern Europe - you quickly run out of sides to root for.

Solmyr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 17, 2014, 11:51:52 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2014, 02:24:05 AM
That's all a bit different from someone who (as a Polish minority in the Soviet Union) went through his entire life being legally called "Witold" and then suddenly he is being told that he has to change his name to "Vytautas" in his legal documents, no?

LOL, "Witold"

Considering it's originally a Lithuanian name... :P

celedhring

Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2014, 02:46:31 PM
Apparently, nationalists from the Pravy sektor have put an ultimatum to the Ukrainian government, demanding the interior minister is fired or they will "march on Kiev". That's the problem with Eastern Europe - you quickly run out of sides to root for.

Any side that pisses off a bunch of nazis like Right Sector is a side I can easily root for.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on August 17, 2014, 04:07:21 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2014, 02:46:31 PM

Any side that pisses off a bunch of nazis like Right Sector is a side I can easily root for.

What I meant it's only a matter of time before nazis take over in Ukraine.