And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2014, 10:06:29 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 13, 2014, 09:51:14 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2014, 09:07:10 AMYou must treat people well who were put in your country with the purpose of creating an existential threat to your country?  Hmmmm yeah without a pretty enormous stick and a particularly yummy carrot they are not going to do that.  Suicide is a lot to ask from a country.

they're people, not influence counters on a game board.

They were people moved to the Baltic States to act as Russia's influence counters.  They are victims here.  I specifically said that.  So...what are you lecturing me on here?  That I should ignore realities and instead demand sunshine and lollipops for all?

Edit: By the way really glad you are posting a lot more here.  You add a lot to the discussions.

Were they forced to move or was that were jobs were?  Seems like you can justify a lot of shit by not "ignoring the realities".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2014, 06:42:19 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 13, 2014, 04:48:44 PM
So what did the Baltic states do that was so wrong?

Language tests for citizenship.

Which is sort of a big thing since it means that a lot of people born there aren't citizens.  Or citizens anywhere actually.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Sheilbh

Yep. So they can't, say, vote in most elections or generally own property (in Latvia).
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

QuoteWere they forced to move or was that were jobs were?  Seems like you can justify a lot of shit by not "ignoring the realities".

They were colonized there to solidify Soviet control.  I was not justifying anything.  I am not sure how saying 'It is hard to imagine that going well for anybody involved' means I think this is awesome or it is justified.  But these are ethnically based states, people of other ethnicities are fundamentally threatening to their existence, particularly ones from hostile neighboring countries.  That is why we fought those two world wars in Europe and all those millions of people died.  If you are going to have a state called 'Estonia' then it is going to be about the protection and sovereignty of Estonians and is going to be hostile to anything that threatens that.  Duh, water is wet. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grinning_Colossus

'Sweden' isn't about the protection and sovereignty of ethnic Swedes. If the nation state model intrinsically leads to the repression of minorities then it's something Western Europe is wise in moving away from, and they should guide their little siblings in the East in the same direction.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

DGuller

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 13, 2014, 08:56:01 PM
'Sweden' isn't about the protection and sovereignty of ethnic Swedes. If the nation state model intrinsically leads to violence against minorities then it's something Western Europe is wise in moving away from, and they should guide their little siblings in the East in the same direction.
What do you do if you don't want to be nationalistic, but your neighbor to whom a lot of your citizens belong does?

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: DGuller on August 13, 2014, 08:57:07 PM
'Sweden' isn't about the protection and sovereignty of ethnic Swedes. If the nation state model intrinsically leads to violence against minorities then it's something Western Europe is wise in moving away from, and they should guide their little siblings in the East in the same direction.
What do you do if you don't want to be nationalistic, but your neighbor to whom a lot of your citizens belong does?

Make democracy more appealing to those citizens than the alternative. Letting them experience democracy would be a good start.

DGuller

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 13, 2014, 08:59:08 PM

Make democracy more appealing to those citizens than the alternative. Letting them experience democracy would be a good start.
Democracy doesn't protect against peacekeeping tanks, planes, and artillery.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: DGuller on August 13, 2014, 09:05:16 PM
Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 13, 2014, 08:59:08 PM

Democracy doesn't protect against peacekeeping tanks, planes, and artillery.

That's irrelevant, since in this case NATO does.

LaCroix

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 13, 2014, 09:12:05 PMThat's irrelevant, since in this case NATO does.

seriously. i'm as confused by that argument as well

Valmy

'Sweden' isn't about the protection and sovereignty of ethnic Swedes. If the nation state model intrinsically leads to the repression of minorities then it's something Western Europe is wise in moving away from, and they should guide their little siblings in the East in the same direction.

Easy to say that when Sweden is under no serious attack.  If the safety and sovereignty of ethnic Swedes was in danger would there be no fearful actions?  If there was a country who you thought might roll in and take over at any minute?  It is called Sweden for a reason and not 'the piece of dirt in the area of the northern and western Baltic'.

Here in the United States we have people terrified of completely harmless minorities all the time.  It makes no logical sense, but in Estonia that minority actually DOES represent a existential threat.  One that could roll in and end Estonia's existence in hours.  However it is fundamentally evil to suppress minorities who individually have nothing to do with anything.  I feel bad for the Russians who are completely fucked by this sorry situation.  However I do have a hard time judging the Latvians and company too hard, because God knows what we would do in that situation.  I am glad I will never find out, the attitudes some people have around here to the Mexican and Latin American immigrants are hysterical enough and those people are about as threatening as a stiff breeze.

Anyway I was just saying that to get Latvia and the like to act differently you would need very coercive carrots and sticks.  Their national instincts are to hate and fear the Russians.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 13, 2014, 08:30:49 PM
QuoteWere they forced to move or was that were jobs were?  Seems like you can justify a lot of shit by not "ignoring the realities".

They were colonized there to solidify Soviet control.  I was not justifying anything.  I am not sure how saying 'It is hard to imagine that going well for anybody involved' means I think this is awesome or it is justified.  But these are ethnically based states, people of other ethnicities are fundamentally threatening to their existence, particularly ones from hostile neighboring countries.  That is why we fought those two world wars in Europe and all those millions of people died.  If you are going to have a state called 'Estonia' then it is going to be about the protection and sovereignty of Estonians and is going to be hostile to anything that threatens that.  Duh, water is wet.

Still I'm asking were all these people forced to live there?  I don't think either the Russian empire or the Soviet Union imagined it was going to collapse and thus wouldn't haven't of thought of themselves as "hostile neighbors" of their own state.  You are saying this is a not justification but a reality.  I don't know exactly what the difference is.  The line of thought seems similar to many radicals in Latin America.  American expats or business operating in foreign countries are part of American colonialism and are a existential threat to those countries.  I'd wager Fidel Castro thought something similar when he nationalized American companies in Cuba.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 13, 2014, 11:57:39 PM
Still I'm asking were all these people forced to live there?  I don't think either the Russian empire or the Soviet Union imagined it was going to collapse and thus wouldn't haven't of thought of themselves as "hostile neighbors" of their own state.  You are saying this is a not justification but a reality.  I don't know exactly what the difference is.  The line of thought seems similar to many radicals in Latin America.  American expats or business operating in foreign countries are part of American colonialism and are a existential threat to those countries.  I'd wager Fidel Castro thought something similar when he nationalized American companies in Cuba.

I am saying what the Baltic States are doing is wrong.  And indeed, just like you say, their line of thinking is a pretty common one throughout the world.  So it is pretty understandable why they are doing it and pretty understandable why it would take considerable effort to get them to do otherwise.