News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Mercs are against international law.
Russia is trying to hide this and giving the Koreans Russian equipment and fake IDs.
Plus they don't really give a shit about breaking international law.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Mercs are against International Law? Then what is the Wagner Group? Boy Scouts?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2024, 11:05:09 AMMercs are against International Law? Then what is the Wagner Group? Boy Scouts?

Private security.
They're against international law to use in war.
But hiring guys for guarding oil refineries and all that is fine.

But of course from Russias perspective Ukraine isn't a war. And for all the laws they've broken this one is not even a footnote.
 I suppose we could turn this back on them... Though Russia has cried fowl on it nonetheless when they captured foreigners.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on October 18, 2024, 11:05:09 AMMercs are against International Law? Then what is the Wagner Group? Boy Scouts?

I was curious so googled:

https://www.ohchr.org/en/special-procedures/wg-mercenaries/international-standards#:~:text=International%20law%20prohibits%20the%20use,conflict%20and%20certain%20peaceful%20situations.

All very interesting.

Just a couple of observations:
-it's more a duty on neutral nations to prevent mercenaries from being recruited, rather than a restriction on warring countries from using mercenaries
-a mercenary is defined as someone NOT a member of the national army - so foreign volunteers are fine (and always have been)
-it talks about "being motivated by private gain" - so I guess being motivated by something else makes you not a mercenary
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

The NKs are motivated by their entire extended family not being sent to work camps.
Does that count?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 18, 2024, 11:21:15 AMWhat are the Gurkhas.

A member of the British Army recruited from Nepal.

Same reason the French Foreign Legion is fine, same as foreign volunteers in Ukraine, or Irish volunteers in WWII.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2024, 11:16:36 AM

https://www.ohchr.org/en/special-procedures/wg-mercenaries/international-standards#:~:text=International%20law%20prohibits%20the%20use,conflict%20and%20certain%20peaceful%20situations.

All very interesting.

-it's more a duty on neutral nations to prevent mercenaries from being recruited, rather than a restriction on warring countries from using mercenaries
-a mercenary is defined as someone NOT a member of the national army - so foreign volunteers are fine (and always have been)
-it talks about "being motivated by private gain" - so I guess being motivated by something else makes you not a mercenary

The "motivated by private gain" issue kicks in when a possible merc is paid more than an equivalent member of the state's own armed forces.  The Nork "volunteers" are okay so long as they are members of the Russian army and receive the same pay and benefits.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 18, 2024, 12:18:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 18, 2024, 11:16:36 AM

All very interesting.

The "motivated by private gain" issue kicks in when a possible merc is paid more than an equivalent member of the state's own armed forces.  The Nork "volunteers" are okay so long as they are members of the Russian army and receive the same pay and benefits.

Interesting, I was wondering where the line was.  Thanks