News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2023, 12:18:36 PMIf anyone finds any reallt good reports of what's happening I encourage you to post it in The Back Room.

Unless you think some of our members are Russian sleeper agents. :ph34r:

I think you might be overestimating the importance of Languish.

And some of us don't have back room access you know  :sleep:

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2023, 12:18:36 PMIf anyone finds any reallt good reports of what's happening I encourage you to post it in The Back Room.

Ukrainians are claiming they're advancing on both the north and south Bakhmut flanks.

Bieber and Dolik might not be enough...

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: grumbler on June 05, 2023, 12:30:39 PMI suspect that we (and the Russians) will not know which attack is the main effort and which are the diversions for some time to come.

I wonder what kinds of breaching equipment has been sent to Ukraine.

I'm guessing toilets and washing machines to lure the Russians out of position

PDH

Quote from: Tamas on June 05, 2023, 07:41:31 AMI see rumours of Leopards on the frontline has started to spread on Russian Telegram.

"WE ARE BEING ATTACKED BY TIGER TANKS!  MARK IV TIGER TANKS!!!"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on June 05, 2023, 06:59:08 AMIt does have vibes  :lol:
I think he did the same at the same event last year.

But it's tremendous and the right response to tankies/hard left.
Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Catastrophic detonation of the Nova Kakhovka dam. Huge sections of it gone, the reservoir is rapidly emptying into the Dnipro.

Barrister

Dam was in control of the Russians, so that makes them doing it more likely, but not for certain.

#1 it takes away the dam itself as a river crossing.

Will flood the lower Dnipro, making any crossing more difficult.

Eventually, will make a crossing of the upper Dnipro less difficult.

Presumably, hopefully, the Zaporozhia Nuclear Plant is fully offline and not in need of cooling water.

Finally - this takes out Crimea's water supply again...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

I can't help but read blowing this dam as a threat about the nuclear plant.
Doing it during the kharkiv liberation would have had an explicable military excuse. This is just shitty.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on June 06, 2023, 02:12:12 AMI can't help but read blowing this dam as a threat about the nuclear plant.
Doing it during the kharkiv liberation would have had an explicable military excuse. This is just shitty.
Yeah.

It'll bite the Russians in the ass though (assuming it was them, and why wouldn't it) I think/hope.
Just because it will now be a double surprise if and when the uaf crosses the dniepr in cherson oblast.

Maladict

Quote from: Josquius on June 06, 2023, 02:12:12 AMI can't help but read blowing this dam as a threat about the nuclear plant.

I'm sure they'll destroy the nuclear plant as well. Hopefully without creating a second Chernobyl.

Grey Fox

Current rumour is that the dam simply failed.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on June 06, 2023, 04:47:36 AMIt'll bite the Russians in the ass though (assuming it was them, and why wouldn't it) I think/hope.
Just because it will now be a double surprise if and when the uaf crosses the dniepr in cherson oblast.

russki can shift some forces that were manning the defenses on the eastern bank of the Dnipro. That's it, that's the only strategic benefit muscovites gain from this. 

Legbiter

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2023, 06:11:44 AMCurrent rumour is that the dam simply failed.

Locals report a deafening explosion in the early morning and windows up to 80 km breaking.

PDH

timeline seems to be first explosions, then the Russians claimed Ukrainian shelling hurt a small part of the dam.  The Russian Telegram channels all play this up.  There are even videos from guards saying they blew up the dam, and they should blow up others.

Then morning came, and the realization a huge part of the dam was gone, and the Kremlin blames Ukraine.  Unfortunately, the telegram channels don't all get this information, and still say the original thesis until they pivot 180 degrees and blame Ukraine.

I would think it was Russia, given how quickly they were ready with a (wrong) explanation initially.  They normally do not react at first, but try to cover up issues.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josquius

Ukraine identified it was mined and Russia was plotting to blow it way back during the Kherson offensive. It makes no sense it would be Ukraine.
██████
██████
██████