News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 08, 2022, 03:30:34 PMWhat are filtration camps?

My understanding: camps where Russia places non-combatant Ukrainians to sort them - some get exported to Russia and the UAE, some get released, some get imprisoned, some get tortured and killed etc.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 08, 2022, 03:05:48 PM
Quote"Amnesty International deeply regrets the distress and anger that our press release on the Ukrainian military's fighting tactics has caused," it said in an email to Reuters.

This is getting very close to saying that Ukraine is purposely using human shields.

I just read it as a typical non-apology apology. 'We are sorry you feel that way'.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

Quote from: Habbaku on August 08, 2022, 04:25:04 PMYeah, that isn't an apology.  :lol:

I'm sorry you feel that way about the apology:(00

crazy canuck

For anyone who wants to read the full statement

QuoteAmnesty International deeply regrets the distress and anger that our press release on the Ukrainian military's fighting tactics has caused. Since Russian's invasion began in February 2022, Amnesty International has been rigorously documenting and reporting on war crimes and violations committed in Ukraine, speaking to hundreds of victims and survivors whose stories illuminate the brutal reality of Russia's war of aggression. We have challenged the world to demonstrate its solidarity with Ukrainians through concrete action, and we will continue to do so. 

Amnesty International's priority in this and in any conflict is ensuring that civilians are protected; indeed, this was our sole objective when releasing this latest piece of research. While we fully stand by our findings, we regret the pain caused and wish to clarify a few crucial points.

In our press release, we documented how in all 19 of the towns and villages we visited, we found instances where Ukrainian forces had located themselves right next to where civilians were living, thereby potentially putting them at risk from incoming Russian fire. We made this assessment based on the rules of international humanitarian law (IHL), which require all parties to a conflict to avoid locating, to the maximum extent feasible, military objectives within or near densely populated areas. The laws of war exist in part to protect civilians, and it is for this reason that Amnesty International urges governments to comply with them.

This does not mean that Amnesty International holds Ukrainian forces responsible for violations committed by Russian forces, nor that the Ukrainian military is not taking adequate precautions elsewhere in the country.

We must be very clear: Nothing we documented Ukrainian forces doing in any way justifies Russian violations. Russia alone is responsible for the violations it has committed against Ukrainian civilians. Amnesty's work over the last six months and our multiple briefings and reports on Russia's violations and war crimes reflect their scale and the gravity of their impact on civilians.

Amnesty International wrote to the Ukrainian government detailing our findings on 29 July. In our letter, we included GPS coordinates and other sensitive information about the locations, including schools and hospitals, where we had documented Ukrainian forces basing themselves among civilians. We did not make this information public in our press release due to the security risks it would pose to both Ukrainian forces and to the civilians we interviewed.

Amnesty International is not attempting to give the Ukrainian military detailed instructions regarding how they should operate – but we call on the relevant authorities to abide by their international humanitarian obligations in full.

Amnesty International's priority will always be ensuring that civilians' lives and human rights are protected during conflict.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 08, 2022, 11:18:55 AMYou are beyond hope, but for those who might read your posts and be misled as to what actually occurred, I encourage them to read the analysis they did of each incident their investigators found of violations of international law.  There may be a rebuttal to their conclusions, but it is not found in your posts.

I don't think that you are fooling anyone with your weasel dance.  The reason why AI doesn't actually cite which elements of international humanitarian law were being violated makes my case for me.  Check with a lawyer, as I suggested, and you will see that I am right.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 08, 2022, 11:06:31 AMThey don't even mention a specific element of international law that was being violated.  They used mealy-mouthed phrases like "using hospitals for military purposes is a clear violation of international humanitarian law" when that is simply not true.  Rule 35 says that "Directing an attack against a zone established to shelter the wounded, the sick and civilians from the effects of hostilities is prohibited" but Rule 10 notes that "Civilian objects are protected against attack, unless and for such time as they are military objectives." 

IIRC, Russia was attacking hospitals and civilian complex way before Ukraine started fortifying such positions.

Cities, well, given what happened in Kershon, I am guessing it is a legitimate objective to try to defend cities.

Of course, ideally, we would all fight in the fields, like in the 17th-18th century and avoid in city fighting as much as possible, la guerre en dentelles style.  Not really realistic anymore.

Russia could still attack cities without shelling them indiscriminately with massive artillery barrage.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

jimmy olsen

7 minute mark - Russians have taken 70-80 thousand casualties (combination of killed and wounded)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Solmyr

That AI report also caused a small scandal in Finland. A member of board of Amnesty Finland (a well-known anti-US demagogue) talked about the "Ukrainian civil war in 2014-2022" and used a Russian propaganda website as a source.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on August 09, 2022, 03:33:57 AMThat AI report also caused a small scandal in Finland. A member of board of Amnesty Finland (a well-known anti-US demagogue) talked about the "Ukrainian civil war in 2014-2022" and used a Russian propaganda website as a source.

I guess one advantage of such crisis is that it separates the wheat from the chaff.

The Brain

Quote from: Solmyr on August 09, 2022, 03:33:57 AMThat AI report also caused a small scandal in Finland. A member of board of Amnesty Finland (a well-known anti-US demagogue) talked about the "Ukrainian civil war in 2014-2022" and used a Russian propaganda website as a source.

Is the person still on the board?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Is Putin's long term strategy now to hope the economies of Western liberal countries tank faster than he's already crashed the Russian economy?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Well, given that there was a Ukrainian Civil War from roughly 2014-2022, I'm failing to see the outrage (other than the source he cited). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Brain on August 07, 2022, 07:08:22 AMSweden is sending instructors to the UK to help train Ukrainian soldiers. 120 in total.
According to Ilia Ponomarenko there's now British, Canadian, Dutch, Finnish and Swedish instructors training Ukrainian troops in the UK (I swear I read there were New Zealanders too) - but seems like good news and a scheme that is, hopefully, helpful to Ukraine.

Edit: Enough to worry that the Protestants are up to no good again :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 09, 2022, 09:27:24 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 07, 2022, 07:08:22 AMSweden is sending instructors to the UK to help train Ukrainian soldiers. 120 in total.
According to Ilia Ponomarenko there's now British, Canadian, Dutch, Finnish and Swedish instructors training Ukrainian troops in the UK (I swear I read there were New Zealanders too) - but seems like good news and a scheme that is, hopefully, helpful to Ukraine.

Edit: Enough to worry that the Protestants are up to no good again :ph34r:

Yeah that does sound like, besides the Canadians, who would be recruited into an army to put down an Irish revolt  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."