News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Interesting report on European attitudes - I think this is Putin's plan now. Grinding forward in Ukraine and waiting for the political consequences of food shortages and energy issues/cost of living, especially this winter, to divide Western support:
https://ecfr.eu/publication/peace-versus-justice-the-coming-european-split-over-the-war-in-ukraine/

Having said that, looking at the descriptions I think I am in the "swing" camp rather than "peace" or "justice".
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

those who want to end the war asap are the type of people who'd have ended ww2 between November 1941 and august 1942, when the Axis was at its largest.

Barrister

Rumour sourced from a Ukrainian news cite is that Putin is in a coma after a botched operation.

Probably not true but fun to think about.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

The Saint Petersburg Economic Forum is on, I think he's supposed to deliver a speech in it. So we'll know soon enough.

Legbiter

Quote from: Josquius on June 11, 2022, 02:24:02 PMHave we seen anything about manufacturing of anything for Ukraine stepping up?

To seriously fuck the Russians up and drive them back there would have to be dedicated factories producing large amounts of platforms and munitions round the clock. I'm pessimistic that that's actually going on at anywhere near the rates the Ukrainians need to turn the war around. Aside from a select few systems the aid is piecemeal and eclectic, basically whatever is in storage right now and we can spare 10% of. :hmm: Probably the single biggest military help the Ukrainians receive are Western signal intelligence and Elon Musk's Starlink satellite coverage.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on June 15, 2022, 11:18:01 AMThe Saint Petersburg Economic Forum is on, I think he's supposed to deliver a speech in it. So we'll know soon enough.

Putin's speech scheduled for Friday.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Legbiter on June 15, 2022, 01:11:09 PM
Quote from: Josquius on June 11, 2022, 02:24:02 PMHave we seen anything about manufacturing of anything for Ukraine stepping up?

To seriously fuck the Russians up and drive them back there would have to be dedicated factories producing large amounts of platforms and munitions round the clock. I'm pessimistic that that's actually going on at anywhere near the rates the Ukrainians need to turn the war around. Aside from a select few systems the aid is piecemeal and eclectic, basically whatever is in storage right now and we can spare 10% of. :hmm: Probably the single biggest military help the Ukrainians receive are Western signal intelligence and Elon Musk's Starlink satellite coverage.

Agreed. Seems very weird how big of a deal is being made of 4 missile launchers et al.

I have to hope this is a lie - there's actually much more than 4 but it's wise not the let the Russians know how many.
But I doubt it.
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Yeah, I believe I wrote on day 3 or so that we need to gett all our factories up to max ASAP. They are going to need thousands of armoured vehicles, artillery pieces with millions of rounds of ammunition. Not to mention equipment for a million+ man army with all that comes with that, small arms, support weapons, boots and whatever. Logistics and support for all that as well and training for everything.

I sure hope someone else that the US army is thinking like this. If they don't get that they won't be able to dislodge the Russians.

Sheilbh

Today is the Macron, Scholz and Draghi trip to Kyiv which is good to see if a little delayed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 16, 2022, 04:16:41 AMToday is the Macron, Scholz and Draghi trip to Kyiv which is good to see if a little delayed.
It's just a courtesy visit at this point, no? Nothing concrete will be offered to Ukraine, neither arms nor EU candidacy status...

Josephus

I think public opinion is going to shift from "let's find an exit ramp for Putin" to "let's find an exit ramp for Zelenskyy". I think there will be pressure on him to make a deal.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on June 16, 2022, 04:44:50 AMIt's just a courtesy visit at this point, no? Nothing concrete will be offered to Ukraine, neither arms nor EU candidacy status...
I suppose there might be some announcements from Italy and France?

I think the symbolism is really important though, especially as it's looked a little bit odd that the three key European countries hadn't done a trip given everyone else who has. I also think this is the first time a trip like this has been pre-announced which is probably a striking sign of the change in risk to Kyiv.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2022, 06:09:39 AMInteresting report on European attitudes - I think this is Putin's plan now. Grinding forward in Ukraine and waiting for the political consequences of food shortages and energy issues/cost of living, especially this winter, to divide Western support:
https://ecfr.eu/publication/peace-versus-justice-the-coming-european-split-over-the-war-in-ukraine/

Having said that, looking at the descriptions I think I am in the "swing" camp rather than "peace" or "justice".

Wtf is wrong with Italy.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on June 16, 2022, 07:31:07 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 15, 2022, 06:09:39 AMInteresting report on European attitudes - I think this is Putin's plan now. Grinding forward in Ukraine and waiting for the political consequences of food shortages and energy issues/cost of living, especially this winter, to divide Western support:

Wtf is wrong with Italy.

Italy has been for quite a while one of the most (if not the most) pro-Russian country amongst the Western EU countries. Berlusconi used to be super chummy with Putin, Salvini followed that route. Besides that there's plenty of economic ties between both countries. It's not coming out of nowhere.

celedhring

Italy has a tradition of starting wars on the losing side and then switch sides  :ph34r: