News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on May 19, 2022, 10:47:38 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 19, 2022, 03:32:31 AMHe sounds old. Maybe he should just retire and not hold public speeches anymore?

Did you watch the clip? He even jokes about it: "I'm 75."

Isn't that like a young upcoming Congressman age in the US?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Legbiter

Russians making gains in Luhansk. I think they're finally fighting a war they can somewhat manage, advancing bit by bit behind heavy bombardments. :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zanza

Schröder's job at Rosneft would come up for prolongation, but he said that he will not take it up. Still not distancing himself from Putin. What a dipshit.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Jacob on May 19, 2022, 09:26:09 PMYeah, the analysts who I consider credible are saying the most likely scenario is that the Russians will push for a little bit and get minor gains while the Ukrainians continue constituting their forces for the counter-push. Then in the summer there'll be grinding attritional warfare where the Ukrainians have the advantage, until August-September where Ukraine finally gets the upper hand.

Obviously this is contingent on all kinds of things, there's plenty of uncertainty in war, and so on... but that's about the shape of it.

Ben Hodges?

anyways: The Ruzzians seem to be making progress. Let's hope it's more a last hurrah, rather than a sign of things to come

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on May 20, 2022, 09:00:13 AMRussians making gains in Luhansk. I think they're finally fighting a war they can somewhat manage, advancing bit by bit behind heavy bombardments. :hmm:
They just blew a bridge in Luhansk so the advance can't be going too well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Also: John McCain is now forbidden to enter Russia.  Trump can still visit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

grumbler

John McCain's body lies a'mouldrin' in his grave
but his truth about Putin marches on.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I keep reading stories about how Putin is seriously ill and essentially physically incapacitated, and one thing that strikes me is that it must be a pretty quick collapse if true.  Just a couple of years ago this guy was playing hockey and scored 8 goals in one game. 

Some suspect that the opposing team was not playing at its best that day, but I would think that you still need to be in a pretty good condition to be able to skate and nudge the puck into the goal 8 times.   How do you go from that to full Chernenko in a couple of years?  Does Parkinson's really progress so quickly?

Zoupa

He's so puffed up I'm thinking he's on high dosages of cortisone.

My guess would be some sort of leukemia, not parkinsons.

Razgovory

My guess is that theories about his health are wishful thinking.

Legbiter

QuoteSeveral U.S. media outlets claim that the U.S. wants to assist Ukraine with modern anti-ship missiles to counter the Russian naval blockade, either directly or through a European ally that can facilitate the transfer. The assertions are based on statements made by U.S. authorities.

Harpoon anti-ship missile appears in mind when the rumors surfaced, however, it's not the only option. Naval Strike Missile is another missile on the table.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/05/u-s-may-boost-ukraines-defense-with-harpoon-missiles/

Hope they get good missiles.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on May 20, 2022, 12:42:54 PMSchröder's job at Rosneft would come up for prolongation, but he said that he will not take it up. Still not distancing himself from Putin. What a dipshit.
Apparently he's left Rosneft but is now taking up a position on the board of directors of GazProm. It is just incredibly shameless :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 16, 2022, 12:18:19 PMObviously if Russia and NATO fight a conventional war, both sides will need to mobilize, and the quality of mobilized troops is not going to be that great.  However, I get a feeling that a poorly trained mobilized Russian soldier will still have a rusting T-72 to sit in and an AK rifle to shoot with.  The poorly trained mobilized NATO soldier will be facing that pile of rust holding his dick, because all 400 of the remaining anti-tank rounds have already been expended by the 100 guys lucky enough to get any.

The USSR was a threat because it had twice russia's population and eastern europe as allies. And was devoting like 20% of GDP to defense and also had theoretical allies in Africa, Latin America and Asia.

Russia has half the population, spends under 1/10th of the US on the military and in line with the UK, is relatively poor compared to the west, and apparently has Belarus as a reliable ally -- maybe. Much of the old warsaw pact has switched to Nato.

Russia is not a meaningful threat to the west through conventional means. Nukes are a different matter.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 24, 2022, 11:01:58 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 20, 2022, 12:42:54 PMSchröder's job at Rosneft would come up for prolongation, but he said that he will not take it up. Still not distancing himself from Putin. What a dipshit.
Apparently he's left Rosneft but is now taking up a position on the board of directors of GazProm. It is just incredibly shameless :blink:

We have a rhyming saying: "Ist der Ruf erst ruiniert, lebt es sich ganz ungeniert." Which translates roughly to, "Once your reputation is ruined, you can stop worrying about keeping up appearances."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.