News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on August 11, 2014, 11:57:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 11, 2014, 10:33:34 AM
Things will get real interesting politically in Europe when the Leviathan Gas Field goes online in a couple of years ... it is owned, by of all countries, Israel.  :lol:

Allegedly, there is enough gas there to supply Europe for 20 years - and that's just proven reserves.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_gas_field

In 21st Century, Jews gas Europe!
:(  I wish I'd said that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Russia has announced it will start sending "humanitarian" convoys into Ukraine.  Article quotes Lavrov as saying Ukraine agreed, but doesn't provide any details.

http://rt.com/news/179496-lavrov-humanitarian-corridor-agreed/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2014, 10:15:56 AM
One thing I have been thinking about: surely the main reason behind lacklustre western sanctions is the economic interests of the politicians involved. But also... do they (and we) REALLY want an economic collapse in Russia?
I think it's more the economic interests of their electorate - gleefully encouraged by politicians.

Also I don't think the current sanctions are lacklustre. The Russian response indicates they don't either.
Let's bomb Russia!

Hansmeister

Supposedly, the Russians have been spray painting "peacekeeping force" on the sides of their military vehicles along the Ukrainian border.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2014, 01:09:15 PM
Russia has announced it will start sending "humanitarian" convoys into Ukraine.

"Brought to you by Exxon Mobil. Put a tiger in your T-90 tank!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on August 11, 2014, 03:25:07 PM
Supposedly, the Russians have been spray painting "peacekeeping force" on the sides of their military vehicles along the Ukrainian border.

Lol. PEECEKEEPINK

crazy canuck

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through
strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory....

or alternatively Putin could have been reading the line

War is Peace

But I suspect he hasn't read his Orwell.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 11, 2014, 03:33:41 PM

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through
strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory....

or alternatively Putin could have been reading the line

War is Peace

But I suspect he hasn't read his Orwell.

He may very well have, perhaps taking it as an operations manual rather than a warning. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

I watched some Russian TV news this weekend.  Orwell was an amateur.  That wasn't a slanted coverage, that was Protocols of the Elders of Zion class of propaganda.  And it works very, very well.  :(

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2014, 03:57:39 PM
I watched some Russian TV news this weekend.  Orwell was an amateur.  That wasn't a slanted coverage, that was Protocols of the Elders of Zion class of propaganda.  And it works very, very well.  :(

You support Putin officially now?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on August 11, 2014, 03:59:35 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2014, 03:57:39 PM

You support Putin officially now?
:mad: They made some convincing points.

mongers

Seems like Putin is pushing back, Reuters are reporting this 'aid convoy'/invasion is near imminent.

QuoteRussia sending aid convoy to Ukraine despite Western warnings of 'invasion pretext'

By Adrian Croft and Sergei Karpukhin

BRUSSELS/DONETSK Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:48pm EDT

(Reuters) - President Vladimir Putin said on Monday Russia is sending an aid convoy to eastern Ukraine despite urgent Western warnings against using humanitarian help as a pretext for an invasion.

With Ukraine reporting Russia has massed 45,000 troops on its border, NATO said there was a "high probability" that Moscow could intervene militarily in the country's east, where Kiev's forces are closing in on pro-Russian separatists.

Western countries believe that Putin - who has whipped up the passions of Russians with a nationalist campaign in state-controlled media since annexing Crimea from Ukraine in March - could now send his forces into the east to head off a humiliating rebel defeat.

rest of article here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/11/us-ukraine-crisis-idUSKBN0GA0C620140811
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"