Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I actually remembered quickybaby's video about his first visit to Belarus, when we were discussing Belarus a short time ago.  His then-girlfriend said something cryptic about Belorussian politics, and he just shrugged his shoulders with a "don't know, don't care" expression.  Some people are completely indifferent to such things, as long as they think that they're not going to be affected personally.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on January 20, 2022, 04:11:55 PM
I actually remembered quickybaby's video about his first visit to Belarus, when we were discussing Belarus a short time ago.  His then-girlfriend said something cryptic about Belorussian politics, and he just shrugged his shoulders with a "don't know, don't care" expression.  Some people are completely indifferent to such things, as long as they think that they're not going to be affected personally.

Yeah and a significant amount of Westerners I think are way too embedded into the comfort of their home country's political and economical stability to comprehend what it means to live in an unpredictable shithole like Belarus.

Josquius

Yeah, I'd go further and say there's plenty who are perfectly happy to see millions oppressed if it makes their life a little better.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2022, 04:16:28 PM
Yeah, I'd go further and say there's plenty who are perfectly happy to see millions oppressed if it makes their life a little better.

That's basically anyone that buys stuff made in China... so everyone.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Hey, we're helping those Chinese workers eat.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on January 20, 2022, 05:22:46 PM

If it isn't made in China it is probably made in some other horrible sweatshop. There is no ethical consumption under cannibalism.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on January 21, 2022, 05:08:12 PM

If it isn't made in China it is probably made in some other horrible sweatshop. There is no ethical consumption under cannibalism.

Autocorrect I assume? Or your Amazon shopping list is way different from mine :unsure: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

There is no ethical consumption under cannibalism.
Valmy as always with a controversial take.

Sheilbh

Interesting comment from Alexander Clarkson on Twitter that Germany's starting to look quite isolated on this - which I think is going to be a problem given that I think Germany normally tries to align with its partners and position itself in the middle of European politics rather than out on its own:
QuoteAlexander Clarkson
@APHClarkson
When even the Dutch are shifting on arming Ukraine and Spanish sending assets to the Black Sea then Germany begins to look isolated. Even France and Italy are (out of self-interest) running their moves. This isn't a "NATO divided" story, it's a "Germany isolated" story

The Dutch are allowing arms shipments to Ukraine as mentioned, which is unusual. There is more and more European and NATO support flowing to Ukraine right now (the UK I believe has basically run back-to-back flights airlifting anti-tank stuff into Ukraine for the last four days and earlier today "God save the Queen" was trending in Ukraine :lol:). As well as the Netherlands, Canada and Czechia are starting shipments now - and Denmark is providing financial support. The Baltic states obviously small are sending supplies as well - Estonia want to send artillery but this is not being allowed by Germany (who supplied the artillery so Estonia transferring it on is subject to German support).

Separatey Poland and Ukraine have set up secured hotline between their leaderships to stay in touch in case things escalate.

In a way - for all the concern about NATO divisions and Macron continuing to insist on being a French President - the Western and European response is generally quite impressive. This is what the start of European defence could look like. No doubt this harmony will be smashed when Orban returns from his trip and announces plans to "reunite" with Hungarians in Ukraine :lol: :bleeding: :weep:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Denmark is, apparently, looking at providing cyber-capacity in addition to financial support.

Sheilbh

I imagine that's somethinig the Baltics would also want to help with given their experience (and the UK as I understand we're pretty good at cyber - I saw Australians mention that as a benefit of Aukus).
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on January 21, 2022, 05:34:33 PM

Autocorrect I assume? Or your Amazon shopping list is way different from mine :unsure: :P

A rather obscure reference: https://youtu.be/0h-hWNAqH0Y?t=2157

But not untrue :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Malthus

... but we are so tasty.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on January 21, 2022, 07:11:26 PM
Do you...  ahem... cyber? :perv:

Yeah, it's probably an age thing, but every time Sheilbh says "cyber" I understand it as "cybersex".