Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

The far left though are mostly just a bunch of guys in a pub shouting at each other for being liberals.

The far right are an actual threat.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 12, 2024, 03:32:49 PMHope that the same goes for the far left, cause if they're like our far left... well, they sure think that the Ukrainians belong beneath the heel of the Russian jackboot

I don't disagree about the degree to which the far left is compromised by Russia and/ or useful idiot ideology... but my impression is that the far left is not standing to make significant gains in Europe at the moment, while the compromised/useful idiot far right is. Or is that incorrect?

Tamas

Quote from: Jacob on April 12, 2024, 04:20:09 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 12, 2024, 03:32:49 PMHope that the same goes for the far left, cause if they're like our far left... well, they sure think that the Ukrainians belong beneath the heel of the Russian jackboot

I don't disagree about the degree to which the far left is compromised by Russia and/ or useful idiot ideology... but my impression is that the far left is not standing to make significant gains in Europe at the moment, while the compromised/useful idiot far right is. Or is that incorrect?

No it's not. Maybe France is an exception but it still seems like being any kind of radical left is a kiss of death politically.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on April 12, 2024, 04:26:51 PMNo it's not. Maybe France is an exception but it still seems like being any kind of radical left is a kiss of death politically.
Yeah, off the top of my head Spain's the only country where the far left are in some form of power at a national level.

Compare that with the far right or radical right across Europe and it's a very different position. Even at an EU level it's very difficult to poll for European Parliament election but it looks like The Left will probably stay where they are at around 40 MEPs (the smallest group). The two groupings that include the far and radical right, the ECR and ID, are likely to go from about 130 MEPs to possibly around 160 (taken together). There's also talk of a Vice President of Commission role for one of them (probably Meloni's party).
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on April 12, 2024, 03:38:50 PMThe far left though are mostly just a bunch of guys in a pub shouting at each other for being liberals.
They're part of every violent protest that happens and some are planning to overthrow their governments.

The only thing saving us is that they're too lazy to take action, considering that a 35 hours work week is inhumane and require constant vacation and breaks and sabbaticals.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Solmyr

In Finland both the far right and the far left (the ones who have parties in the parliament) are quite anti-Russian. Of course their favourite pastime is accusing each other of being Russia's stooges. :D

We have some loony far left and far right groups outside of parliament that are pro-Russian, but they are irrelevant.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on April 12, 2024, 03:38:50 PMThe far left though are mostly just a bunch of guys in a pub shouting at each other for being liberals.

Not really. The far left is equally dangerous

Tamas

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 13, 2024, 04:37:08 AM

If they had the far-right's popularity at the moment they would be. But it is dishonest to pretend that they do.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Tamas on April 13, 2024, 10:12:48 AM

If they had the far-right's popularity at the moment they would be. But it is dishonest to pretend that they do.
They're far more embedded in the institutions though. Places where popularity with voters matters less but the damage that can be done is real enough

Josquius

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 13, 2024, 11:14:53 AM

They're far more embedded in the institutions though. Places where popularity with voters matters less but the damage that can be done is real enough

Thats the complete opposite of the truth. It's the far right who have all the big dodgy establishment links.
The far left are outsiders. Proudly so. Ideological purity demands it.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on April 13, 2024, 11:27:59 AM

Thats the complete opposite of the truth. It's the far right who have all the big dodgy establishment links.

Long time since I laughed so hard. You're in complete denial of reality.

Jacob

I think the issue is that you have different definitions of far left, and are thinking of different institutions.

That said, I'm curious which institutions compromised by pro-Putin (or useful idiot) far leftists you have in mind CrazyIvan?

Josquius

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 13, 2024, 11:31:19 AM

I don't find it funny as this kind of disconnect with reality you're showing is sadly all too common and the far right pushing it as part of their path to power is sadly as old as the hills.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Josquius on April 13, 2024, 01:53:21 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on April 13, 2024, 11:31:19 AM

I don't find it funny as this kind of disconnect with reality you're showing is sadly all too common and the far right pushing it as part of their path to power is sadly as old as the hills.
I can say, and will say, the eact same words but for you and the extreme left.