News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

The US sure has balls.

"Hey guys I know we haven't sent you anything for the past 6 months and we also haven't sanctioned russia properly. But can you not bomb your genocidal adversary's main source of income please? We're worried about a 25 cents increase at the pump. kkthanxbai"

Wtf. Trump is not in office now and he's the reason Ukraine aid is blocked. The dude has 91 charges on him. The Dems can't beat a rapist with 91 charges on them?

Absolutely insane. The US has lost the plot and is looking like a fool.

Sheilbh

Yeah - I fear that's possibly a very generous read (though probably the one Biden's team would make).

It feels a little bit like saying, per a Kyiv analyst I saw, fight an existential war in a way that suits our domestic political needs in an election cycle while we are also not providing you with the means to fight that war in any other way. Which is not great.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

Putin is rofloling all the way to the banks.

The Minsky Moment

I don't see the point in the attacks.  It's an annoyance to Russia; it doesn't significantly impact either their military capacity or their economy.  Russia recently agreed to cuts within the OPEC+ framework, so they have excess capacity to work with.  I suspect Ukraine may be doing these attacks for lack of anything better to do - the targets are big and can't all be defended, so some drones will get through. But in the context of the war it's a nothingburger.

the obvious response to the US would be - OK then give us the weapons that would really make a difference on the battlefield and we'll do that instead.  But it's not like the Biden administration is the key obstacle there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zoupa on March 22, 2024, 09:59:35 AMThe dude has 91 charges on him. The Dems can't beat a rapist with 91 charges on them?

Absolutely insane.

Nope and yes.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Josquius

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2024, 01:17:13 PMI don't see the point in the attacks.  It's an annoyance to Russia; it doesn't significantly impact either their military capacity or their economy.  Russia recently agreed to cuts within the OPEC+ framework, so they have excess capacity to work with.  I suspect Ukraine may be doing these attacks for lack of anything better to do - the targets are big and can't all be defended, so some drones will get through. But in the context of the war it's a nothingburger.

the obvious response to the US would be - OK then give us the weapons that would really make a difference on the battlefield and we'll do that instead.  But it's not like the Biden administration is the key obstacle there.

That's not what I've heard. The Ukrainians understand exactly what parts of the refinery to target - it looks like pin prick attacks on such a big facility but they're hitting very particular parts that are vital to operations and need lengthy repairs using parts not available domestically.

I know nothing about oil refining and this is just what pro Ukrainian channels are saying. But it doesn't seem too unlikely.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

QuoteChechen leader, Ramzan Kadyrov, has issued a statement on the attacks, saying: "I strongly condemn such acts of violence, brutality and recklessness against civilians."

Looks like Kadyrov isn't entirely sure they're not Chechens  :lol:

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on March 22, 2024, 02:16:32 PMRemember the US embassy in Moscow's warning recently?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2024/mar/22/moscow-concert-attack-crocus-city-hall-shooting-russia-live-updates

QuoteThe embassy also said that it is "monitoring reports that extremists have imminent plans to target large gatherings in Moscow, to include concerts".

Actions that US citizens have been encouraged to take include avoiding large crowds, monitoring local media for updates and being aware of surroundings.

Well there was evidence somebody was about to do something I guess. But what kind of extremists are we talking about?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on March 22, 2024, 02:09:49 PMThat's not what I've heard. The Ukrainians understand exactly what parts of the refinery to target - it looks like pin prick attacks on such a big facility but they're hitting very particular parts that are vital to operations and need lengthy repairs using parts not available domestically.

Perhaps . . .
But over the past year Russia cut 1 million barrels per the OPEC+ cuts.  You'd have to do an awful lot of permanent damage before the excess capacity was breached.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

Quote from: Valmy on March 22, 2024, 02:20:11 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 22, 2024, 02:16:32 PMRemember the US embassy in Moscow's warning recently?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2024/mar/22/moscow-concert-attack-crocus-city-hall-shooting-russia-live-updates

QuoteThe embassy also said that it is "monitoring reports that extremists have imminent plans to target large gatherings in Moscow, to include concerts".

Actions that US citizens have been encouraged to take include avoiding large crowds, monitoring local media for updates and being aware of surroundings.

Well there was evidence somebody was about to do something I guess. But what kind of extremists are we talking about?

I'm sure it will be quickly "discovered" that these were Ukrainians and a full mobilization is now justified.

Zoupa

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2024, 01:17:13 PMI don't see the point in the attacks.  It's an annoyance to Russia; it doesn't significantly impact either their military capacity or their economy.  Russia recently agreed to cuts within the OPEC+ framework, so they have excess capacity to work with.  I suspect Ukraine may be doing these attacks for lack of anything better to do - the targets are big and can't all be defended, so some drones will get through. But in the context of the war it's a nothingburger.

russia exports lots of crude but doesn't refine much. Obviously the war requires lots of refined oil. Any strike on their refineries is a plus to the war effort.

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on March 22, 2024, 03:14:38 PM

russia exports lots of crude but doesn't refine much. Obviously the war requires lots of refined oil. Any strike on their refineries is a plus to the war effort.

Yeah this Russian youtuber I follow used to be in the construction sector including oil industry. The way he put it, nobody would admit this, but Russians don't know how to build refineries, he though the attacks were very clever.