News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I'm wondering whether the mine clearing leaopards they got from Finland work.
I've read Finland had half a dozen and gave them all to Ukraine since they just didn't work in hard Finnish soil, but hoped they might in the sofer Ukraine.
Surely they'd have tested them before throwing them on the front line. And unlikely to be perfect even if they do work well. But the big loss being reported a lot has me wondering.

QuoteAnd likely against the Geneva conventions
The without Ukraine knowing part is weird certainly.

Maybe the idea is like the allied prisoners in Switzerland during ww1. Sitting out the war for humanitarian reasons (at least that's the claimed reason anyway. Doubtless some mutual attempts at relation building between the two dictators)
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Going on Twitter now and yes, those wrecks are still all the talk.  :D

One more week of Ukrainian radio silence and it will have more written about it than D-Day.

Hamilcar

Quote from: Iormlund on June 09, 2023, 11:35:13 AMThe Machine Spirit lives. Blessed be thy blow-out panels.

The beast of metal endures longer than the flesh of men. Those that tend the beasts of metal must labour long to learn its ways, for a single beast must suffer the mastership of many men until ready to shed its vorpal coils. Those that seek apprenticeship must attended closely to the runes of mobilisation, the rites of maintenance, and the words-of-power that describe the parts of a beast. Nor must they neglect the tutelage of the Adeptus Prefects, nor the casting of the proper roboscopes.

Tamas

New footage but isn't this the same Leopard they have been showing from 4 different angles? Or are enemy tanks always attacked on a field right next to some bushes?

https://twitter.com/i/status/1667503321693974528

Josquius

No comment on if its the same or not (no other vehicles around it I notice. The others did. But plenty of explanations or edits possible) but I would say given this is Ukraine yes. Vehicles are usually attacked in fields near bushes :p
██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Russia continues to make it's claim for the world shittiness contest. I've seen photos of drowend Russian soldiers after the dam burst.
██████
██████
██████

Legbiter

Our embassy in Moscow is closing down. Muscovite ambassador here told to kindly GTFO.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on June 10, 2023, 11:40:40 AMOur embassy in Moscow is closing down. Muscovite ambassador here told to kindly GTFO.
Wow!  :o    Severing diplomatic relations is the biggest hammer in the diplomatic toolbox.

Good for you guys.   :worthy:   Wish the US would do the same.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on June 09, 2023, 04:49:34 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 09, 2023, 09:46:06 AMWeird shit of the day: it has been confirmed by the vice-PM of Hungary that the Russian Orthodox church (!) has transferred 11 Ukrainian POWs to Hungary(!) on the request of the Hungarian government(!). They are from the border region of Ukraine so I assume they are ethnic Hungarians (but Ukrainian citizens).

Ukraine apparently was not consulted or even informed on this, they learned about it from the news.

And likely against the Geneva conventions

Ukrainian intelligence sources are claiming the plan is that these poor souls will be required to publicly grovel in gratitude to the Russian Orthodox Church and the government of Hungary.

Legbiter

Now that I read through the communiqué...they're not fully breaking off diplomatic relations, they're just going to withdraw the ambassador and all embassy staff, close down the embassy and make sure the Russians do the same here.   :hmm:

To me they're trying to be just a little bit pregnant but ok...

Legbiter

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on June 10, 2023, 01:19:14 PMUkrainian weekend fun...

https://twitter.com/parrot_soldier/status/1667488424515846144

They seem quite well trained.

I'm kinda surprised that the "reserve" fire team clumps up like it does.  Maybe doctrine has changed since my (brief) exposure to infantry tactics training, where one of the rules was "no enemy grenade or mortar round gets more than one man."  Spacing seems in accordance with what I learned when it comes to guys in contact.

But I agree that these guys all seem to know what they were doing and how to make progress without exposing themselves unduly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2023, 01:33:40 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on June 10, 2023, 01:19:14 PMUkrainian weekend fun...

https://twitter.com/parrot_soldier/status/1667488424515846144

They seem quite well trained.

I'm kinda surprised that the "reserve" fire team clumps up like it does.  Maybe doctrine has changed since my (brief) exposure to infantry tactics training, where one of the rules was "no enemy grenade or mortar round gets more than one man."  Spacing seems in accordance with what I learned when it comes to guys in contact.

But I agree that these guys all seem to know what they were doing and how to make progress without exposing themselves unduly.

I know I told this already, but the (no doubt Warsaw Pact legacy) assault tactic my conscripted friend was taught in the Hungarian army in the late 90s was to trust the officer that they have calculated how many people are needed to let at least somebody reach grenade range, and run at the enemy reinforced position as fast as they can, and lob a grenade in.

Josquius

Why does the Humvee itself leave after a while? Seemed to be a vital part with the machine gun.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on June 10, 2023, 02:41:39 PMWhy does the Humvee itself leave after a while? Seemed to be a vital part with the machine gun.

Perhaps there was concern that static vehicles were too tempting a target for artillery.

Bayraktar!