Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on May 18, 2023, 12:47:54 PM31 :blink:

More abrams donations planned?

These are the tanks sent to start training crews and mechanics.  More to follow.  More than half of the M1s in the US inventory are in storage (something like 2500 of them).  The issue isn't any shortage of Abrams tanks.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Is the issue that US just doesn't want to send too many tanks for reasons, or is there a limit to our ability to convert our tanks in storage into a functional unit with no secret sauce in them?

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2023, 04:10:39 PMIs the issue that US just doesn't want to send too many tanks for reasons, or is there a limit to our ability to convert our tanks in storage into a functional unit with no secret sauce in them?
Isn't it because they were basically only sent to unlock Leopards?
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I think I might have got mixed up with challengers and misremembered less than 31 going to Ukraine to use.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Josquius on May 18, 2023, 05:09:59 PMI think I might have got mixed up with challengers and misremembered less than 31 going to Ukraine to use.

IIRC it's only 17 Challengers. :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2023, 04:10:39 PMIs the issue that US just doesn't want to send too many tanks for reasons, or is there a limit to our ability to convert our tanks in storage into a functional unit with no secret sauce in them?

There's a limit to what tech the US is willing to export, plus the cost of refitting and shipping the M1s.  I also think that the Biden admin wants to avoid the perception that it is spending money on Ukraine hand over fist.

Sending a bunch of tanks right now would do no good.  There aren't the crews and maintenance people for them yet.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Rumors that the Netherlands and Denmark want to provide 45 F-16.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on May 21, 2023, 02:15:02 PMRumors that the Netherlands and Denmark want to provide 45 F-16.
There's been lots about this international fighter coalition (especially now US has given permission) - but I'm not fully sure how it will work. Sounds very promising though.

I saw a thing about US trainers being impressed by Ukrainian pilots and cutting their estimated time it would take to train pilots from 18 months to 3-4 months. Which, much like how their Patriots are defending against very heavy attacks from Russia, just reinforces my view that we give the Ukrainians what they need and they'll be more than capable of using whatever that equipment is.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

My big concern is the one that has been mentioned from the start that Ukraine doesn't have suitable runways and with their entire country in range of Russian bombs and satellites it's hard to see them managing to build even one.

One suggestion I saw to fix this was to give them carrier hornet variants instead. Australia apparently has a bunch.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2023, 02:22:35 PMI saw a thing about US trainers being impressed by Ukrainian pilots and cutting their estimated time it would take to train pilots from 18 months to 3-4 months. Which, much like how their Patriots are defending against very heavy attacks from Russia, just reinforces my view that we give the Ukrainians what they need and they'll be more than capable of using whatever that equipment is.

My only concern with the Ukrainians is that they might be too promiscuous with their ammunition expenditure.  Firing off shit in lieu of fire and movement.

DGuller

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2023, 02:22:35 PM
Quote from: Zanza on May 21, 2023, 02:15:02 PMRumors that the Netherlands and Denmark want to provide 45 F-16.
There's been lots about this international fighter coalition (especially now US has given permission) - but I'm not fully sure how it will work. Sounds very promising though.

I saw a thing about US trainers being impressed by Ukrainian pilots and cutting their estimated time it would take to train pilots from 18 months to 3-4 months. Which, much like how their Patriots are defending against very heavy attacks from Russia, just reinforces my view that we give the Ukrainians what they need and they'll be more than capable of using whatever that equipment is.
I think one legitimate advantageous cultural trait of Ukrainians and even Russians is their resourcefulness.  They cut their teeth in an environment where they have to constantly make do with very little, whereas their Western counterparts at all points have embarrassment of riches.  That means that when you actually give them the good shit to work with, they can do more with it than the people for whom the good shit is all they know.

Legbiter

Major ongoing incursion by Russian separatists into the People's Republic of Belgorod. Tanks, heavy artillery, the works.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

For the Dutch it will be a good and proper payback for MH-17.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.