News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on March 17, 2023, 10:34:57 AMICC put out an arrest warrant for putin.
Not sure how they work and this wasn't blocked but :)

I'm not sure what to think of this. :mellow:

I mean obviously I'd like Putin to be in a prisoner's dock at the end of all this facing war crimes charges.

I just don't know if this move is going to help end the war or not.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2023, 10:41:58 AM
Quote from: Josquius on March 17, 2023, 10:34:57 AMICC put out an arrest warrant for putin.

I mean obviously I'd like Putin to be in a prisoner's dock at the end of all this facing war crimes charges.

I think its clear it won't end unless Putin or zelenski are gone.
This helps towards what needs doing - telling the Russian elites that Putin is the problem and if they replace him and pull their troops back to their borders then all can be good for them.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on March 17, 2023, 10:49:42 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2023, 10:41:58 AM

I think its clear it won't end unless Putin or zelenski are gone.
This helps towards what needs doing - telling the Russian elites that Putin is the problem and if they replace him and pull their troops back to their borders then all can be good for them.

If Zelenskyy dies tomorrow I don't think Ukraine stops fighting. :mellow:

But if Putin dies tomorrow: I think it's an open question whether Russia withdraws or not.  It's hard to tell who would succeed Putin, but many of the contenders are not exactly peaceniks.

crazy canuck

Maybe a stupid question, but who is going to fly those warplanes - doesn't it take a lot of training to get a pilot to the point of being able to do so?

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 17, 2023, 10:52:07 AMMaybe a stupid question, but who is going to fly those warplanes - doesn't it take a lot of training to get a pilot to the point of being able to do so?

Ukrainians Pilots that are already flying Migs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 17, 2023, 10:54:20 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 17, 2023, 10:52:07 AMMaybe a stupid question, but who is going to fly those warplanes - doesn't it take a lot of training to get a pilot to the point of being able to do so?

Thanks

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 17, 2023, 10:54:20 AM

I think the question is how many of them are left.

I really do hope, by the way, that there is a contingent of Ukrainian pilots in the west somewhere training on F-16s...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2023, 10:56:06 AMI really do hope, by the way, that there is a contingent of Ukrainian pilots in the west somewhere training on F-16s...
Ukrainian pilots in the UK training on "sophisticated NATO-standard fighter jets". Not clear what they actually are training on as that's vague enough to cover a lot of options.
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

I'd assume that, like pretty much every air force, the Ukrainian Air Force had more pilots than aircraft, so pilots could be rotated through non-flying billets to recover from the stress of flying.  In addition, numerous Ukrainian aircraft have been destroyed on the ground, leaving them with even more surplus pilots.  How many surplus pilots they have is a complete unknown to me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Denmark is now talking about F16s for Ukraine. Just talk at this point, but I'm guessing Ukraine will fly F16s eventually.

Crazy_Ivan80

By the end of the year would not be too soon

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2023, 10:41:58 AMI'm not sure what to think of this. :mellow:

Puts Putin in the same category as Milosevic back in the day so helpful to prevent any business-as-usual with Russia after the war ends. At least in the West.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

It'll cause a bit of awkwardness for, say Brazil and South Africa, and other countries in the global south (especially Latin America) who view the ICC as a really important part of a multilateral, non-unipolar world but have been tepid so far. Maybe not enough to shift them, but still something - I think the indictment on quite a narrow and unquestionable crime is quite canny in that regards.

Obviously India and China aren't signatories but most of Latin America and many African states are.
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Has Russia reacted yet?  Are they planning to comply?

Legbiter

Quote from: DGuller on March 17, 2023, 04:52:53 PMHas Russia reacted yet?  Are they planning to comply?

Strelkov is indignant. Says it's a sign of how confident the West has become that it can just deal with Russia like it's a recalcitrant Serbian hill tribe. Peskov dismissed the charge as ridiculous. A lot of seething thirdies (sorry, global south) in comments and on social media.  :hmm: 
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.