News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2014, 01:44:14 PM
Lots of central and eastern european countries don't have long historical identities - the czechs, slovaks, slovenes, romanians have no historic state to point to.

Bohemia for Czechs? Moldavia and Wallachia for the Romanians?

grumbler

Quote from: Solmyr on August 12, 2014, 02:54:10 PM
Lots of central and eastern european countries don't have long historical identities - the czechs, slovaks, slovenes, romanians have no historic state to point to.

Don't interrupt a rant with facts.  It's rude.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

indeed.

Eddie Teach

In fairness, the word "state" is a stretch for most of those entities' history.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Bohemia was as much a Czech state as the Hetmanate was a Ukrainian one.  Which is to say, a little bit, but not really.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PRC

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2014, 01:34:12 PM
I was listening to a podcast talking about the crisis and the author mentioned that the Ukraine, kind of like Poland, is what he called a "plateau" nation - it is like a low lying island surrounded by water. It only ever seems to exist when the nations around it our weak, and when the nations around it are strong, it tends to get swallowed up by them, only to come back again when they recede.

Sounds like Dan Carlin.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 12, 2014, 01:22:31 PM

These facts aren't proof of the propositions you state above, by any stretch.  But they are kernels of fact upon which, with much embellishment, that kind of narrative can be built.
And of course the example of the Baltic treatment of Russian minorities and the Euro blind eye to it is a real and unfortunate example.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: PRC on August 12, 2014, 05:19:48 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2014, 01:34:12 PM
I was listening to a podcast talking about the crisis and the author mentioned that the Ukraine, kind of like Poland, is what he called a "plateau" nation - it is like a low lying island surrounded by water. It only ever seems to exist when the nations around it our weak, and when the nations around it are strong, it tends to get swallowed up by them, only to come back again when they recede.

Sounds like Dan Carlin.

It wasn't.  Believe me I rushed to his site to check if he had a new common sense out :P

I guess it could have been an old one from early in the crisis though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2014, 03:36:19 PM

Bohemia was as much a Czech state as the Hetmanate was a Ukrainian one.  Which is to say, a little bit, but not really.

State may have been a poor choice of words.  They don't have historical independent nations to point too.  These countries were independent prior to concepts of nationalism and so aren't "nations" in the same sense we think of nations today.  They lack real historic national identities.  Still, that's not all that bad.  You can (and many countries have), just make some up. After all, a nation is simply an imagined community.  Why not create an imagined history to go with it?  God knows the Russians have.  Hell, they have imagined history about things happened only a few decades ago that people still alive should be able to remember.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2014, 05:35:58 PM

These facts aren't proof of the propositions you state above, by any stretch.  But they are kernels of fact upon which, with much embellishment, that kind of narrative can be built.
And of course the example of the Baltic treatment of Russian minorities and the Euro blind eye to it is a real and unfortunate example.

That one worries me.  If the Russians remind Europe about how ethnic Russians have genuine grievances in the Baltic states, will that be enough to shake Euros resolve concerning the defense of those countries?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2014, 05:35:58 PM

Blind eye? IIRC the EU forced them (mostly Latvia and Estonia) to vastly improve their situation as a condition for entering the union.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on August 12, 2014, 07:05:34 PM
Blind eye? IIRC the EU forced them (mostly Latvia and Estonia) to vastly improve their situation as a condition for entering the union.
From my understanding either the situation was really awful prior to EU accession, or it was barely improved.

There's still lots of statelessness and restrictions on education.

I think the Baltics (and Cyprus and Romania and Bulgaria and, maybe, Hungary) were let in too soon which meant a little weakening of standards.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2014, 07:17:07 PM
Quote from: The Larch on August 12, 2014, 07:05:34 PM
From my understanding either the situation was really awful prior to EU accession, or it was barely improved.

There's still lots of statelessness and restrictions on education.

I think the Baltics (and Cyprus and Romania and Bulgaria and, maybe, Hungary) were let in too soon which meant a little weakening of standards.

This point to a fundamental weakness in the EU, a ideologically motivated activist foreign policy without an organised military to provide substance/a back-bone.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"