News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Russo-Ukrainian War 2014-23 and Invasion

Started by mongers, August 06, 2014, 03:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

alfred russel

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 04, 2022, 11:45:35 AMThe Caucasus regions aren't Russia.

The mountains partially lie within Russia's borders...I did see however someone place a flag on a monument and an ethnic russian come and angrily take it away...someone later told me it was a regional flag with sepratist implications.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: The Brain on October 04, 2022, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 04, 2022, 11:42:06 AMI am too old and i'm not a hipster.

However, it made me think about the context of this thread...I spent a couple weeks in the Caucasus on a climbing trip I think in 2016...how many of you jokers have actually been to russia outside of the major cities?

Oooh! I have! I have! :w00t:

:ccr
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on October 04, 2022, 11:42:06 AMhow many of you jokers have actually been to russia outside of the major cities?

I have never been to Russia and I am sad about that. I probably missed the only good time to visit the country in my lifetime.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

I actually was in western Ukraine many years ago, if Putin keeps annexing random bits of the country I might retroactively have visited Russia  :hmm:

Zanza

I have only been to Moscow and like Valmy feel a bit sad that it is unlikely that I will see St. Petersburg. :( Not sure that not seeing rural Russia is a big loss. Maybe Lake Baikal and Kamchatka...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on October 04, 2022, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 04, 2022, 11:42:06 AMI am too old and i'm not a hipster.

However, it made me think about the context of this thread...I spent a couple weeks in the Caucasus on a climbing trip I think in 2016...how many of you jokers have actually been to russia outside of the major cities?

Oooh! I have! I have! :w00t:

Me too. :) I went to Depardieu's former new hometown.  :frog:

Barrister

I'm not sure which I enjoy more:

-videos of joyous civilians greeting Ukrainian soldiers as they liberate one village after another; or

-videos from Russian TV where the pro-Putin "analysts" attempt to blame their defeats on one cause after another, all the while studiously avoiding any critique of Putin himself
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

I think the former for me, but I can't help but cackle over the latter.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

I am waiting for the announcement that "We have always been at peace with Ukraine."

Crazy_Ivan80

Legbiter

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2022, 02:04:43 PMI'm not sure which I enjoy more:

-videos of joyous civilians greeting Ukrainian soldiers as they liberate one village after another;

The most heartfelt one I've seen so far.

QuoteUkrainian soldiers in newly liberated territories are returning to the local population washing machines Russian soldiers stole.

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1576758293535391744

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

Grey Fox

Closest I've been to Russia is Edmonton.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Come to think of it I was probably closer in Korea.