News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dead Pool 2024

Started by Josephus, December 26, 2023, 09:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Someone only Canadians will likely know. Rex Murphy has died at age 77.

PRC

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 09, 2024, 10:04:19 PMSomeone only Canadians will likely know. Rex Murphy has died at age 77.

I always enjoyed when he hosted Cross Country Checkup on CBC radio.  He was always super sympathetic and gracious with all the random Canadians calling in.

Jacob

I didn't always agree with Rex Murphy, but I can see his appeal. He made a very solid contribution to public life in Canada.

May he rest in peace.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Jacob and GF may be too young to
Remember him before he went hard right.  He gave brilliant commentary on the National and as PRC mentioned he was a gracious host of Cross Country Checkup. I don't know what happened to him after he left the CBC but he seemed to become a completely different person. Hopefully someone will write a biography- it would be a fascinating read.

Josephus

He was a great and entertaining commentator in his day; but he is one of those people who should have been sent to pasture years ago.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on Today at 09:51:31 AMJacob and GF may be too young to
Remember him before he went hard right.  He gave brilliant commentary on the National and as PRC mentioned he was a gracious host of Cross Country Checkup. I don't know what happened to him after he left the CBC but he seemed to become a completely different person. Hopefully someone will write a biography- it would be a fascinating read.

There's that and you need to add about more 16 years for me to have learned enough english.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on Today at 10:38:11 AMHe was a great and entertaining commentator in his day; but he is one of those people who should have been sent to pasture years ago.

I would still read his work.

I will admit that occasionally his writing would have me cringe, but most of the time I found him very insightful even in later years.

He indeed had a long and fascinating career.  Born in Newfoundland (before it even joined Confederation) he was a Rhodes scholar, despite being a conservative he worked for the CBC for decades.  His vocabulary was impressive, but always in a way not that he was showing off, but that he just trusted his audience was smart enough to keep up.  As mentioned he was always very polite in dealing with callers on a cross-canada call-in show.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/rex-murphy-the-sharp-witted-intellectual-who-loved-canada-dies-at-77/

By the way here's Rex's last column, filed a day before his death.  He certainly was not going gently into the night as he just blasts Trudeau for ignoring October 7th.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-trudeau-faced-an-essential-moral-test-after-oct-7-he-failed-it

I can't say I disagree with him here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.