News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Teaching English Abroad

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

If I lived in Korea I would have to get a bumper sticker - "A dog is for life, not just for breakfast!"  :P

MadImmortalMan

Been watching the show Pasta on NFLX. I have one question.

Is "Unni" some kind of equivalent to "stupid bitch", or does it apply to any woman in a generic sense? I figured out about episode three that this was not actually a name, but a colloquialism.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 04, 2012, 02:26:45 AM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on December 28, 2011, 09:57:37 PM
I used to live just above the G in Goyang.

It must be hell on traffic.
Psstt... There's not actually a giant letter G blocking the highway. :whisper:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Any of you teacher types not exclusively single dudes? I might try to talk my mom into going for a couple years. Who knows, maybe she'll consider having an adventure before she retires.

Monoriu

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 29, 2014, 01:26:59 AM
Any of you teacher types not exclusively single dudes? I might try to talk my mom into going for a couple years. Who knows, maybe she'll consider having an adventure before she retires.

When I was a kid, I had both male and female native English teachers.  They were all exclusively very young though.  They looked like they were in their 20s. 

jimmy olsen

They're taking older folks these days if they're well qualified.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadImmortalMan

Well she's 60ish and has been teaching elementary for more years than most of us have been alive. Master's degree.

I'm guessing age is the barrier, not qualifications. I doubt she'd want to keep doing it for more than a couple years. Your contracts seem to be sort of short-term in any case though.

jimmy olsen

Typically yearly unless she gets a job at an international school.

It's possible she'll get hired, but the odds are against her I think. The people that old that I've seen here got here in their early 50s.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

I'd like to think this is a viable career path post-military, but by that time....I am sure they'd think a 40's, single male applicant is likely just an old pervert.

alfred russel

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 29, 2014, 08:49:22 PM
I'd like to think this is a viable career path post-military, but by that time....I am sure they'd think a 40's, single male applicant is likely just an old pervert.

You could teach "english" to rebel groups in Myanmar.

"Today we learn the words governing fire discipline and marksmanship. Repeat after me: when targeting Burmese women and children that are running away, don't lead them as much as with the men."
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 29, 2014, 08:49:22 PM

Well I mean it does seem like a sort of odd thing for a 40 something to want to do as a "career path".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Well, it'd really be a "something to do for fun/adventure when retired" kinda career path.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

I'd like to think of the teaching as more of a cover to experience the grandeur of Japan and maybe go after appropriately-aged Japanese MILFs.  :mad:

Josquius

At my crappy job in Tokyo were a few older people, including a woman who had to be near retirement age.
ALT work is the best stuff and it generally does have an age restriction of 35 or so. Big preference for young people.
Eikaiwa work is subhuman grunt work not suitable for anyone with a inch of self-respect. But its open to anyone who speaks English and has a pulse.
Neither are career options.
Though if someone is a proper professional teacher then getting a real teaching job at an international school is an option.
██████
██████
██████