News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Another stupid question from Raz!

Started by Razgovory, July 29, 2014, 04:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

We get a lot of talk about the effect climate change will have on the species diversity, and the effect habitat loss will have on the species diversity, and the effect over exploitation will have on species diversity.

But something that is talked about much more rarely is that humans are moving plants and animals around to new environments. Australia for instance has a very unique set of species because it evolved in isolation: but it is isolated no longer. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 30, 2014, 09:55:10 AM
We get a lot of talk about the effect climate change will have on the species diversity, and the effect habitat loss will have on the species diversity, and the effect over exploitation will have on species diversity.

But something that is talked about much more rarely is that humans are moving plants and animals around to new environments. Australia for instance has a very unique set of species because it evolved in isolation: but it is isolated no longer.

Agreed - 'invasive species' caused by humans moving stuff around has, so far, had a truly enormous impact. I suspect it is the single most significant thing people have done to affect species diversity.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on July 30, 2014, 09:16:41 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2014, 11:12:05 PM
I had only used humans and ants as examples as they both infest my house.  I was noting that humans are radically different in morphology then dino-age ancestors while ants really aren't.  Hell, humans are radically different then their ancestors 5 million years ago.  Further examples could be crocodiles which look like crocodiles from 100 million years ago and whales that don't look anything like their ancestors from that time period. 

I suspect some of it is do to mass extinctions. For instance when the Permian era ended Dinosaurs took on all sorts of forms.  When the Cretaceous period came to a close mammals speciated into a whole bunch of forms ranging from flying animals like bats to aquatic animals like whales.  Still it doesn't explain why some animals seem to be "In a rut".  I use that figuratively.  Ants are of course some of the most successful animals on the planet. They just seem so unchanging compared to other animals.

Raz, I'd point out a few things...first I'd emphasize that you are discounting too quickly the difference between large and small land animals. There are a long list of small animals (like ants) that have similar looking animal ancestors that haven't seemed to change much through the ages.

But try naming the large ones. You did come up with crocodilians. But I'd question that. First, the order evolved just 83m years ago per wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodilia), so their 100m year date you mentioned is probably inaccurate. Second, the larger ones died off with the dinosaurs, so it is possible that the similarities between modern and ancient crocodilians is due to convergent evolution rather than direct ancestory. It is interesting that you brought up whales--I was indirectly alluding to it earlier. The common ancestor of whales was a mammal that had the appearance of a crocodile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambulocetus_natans). I believe there earlier version of the crocodile body type before the crocodilians--it seems to simply be a stable body type that has evolved multiple times.

In any event, crocodilians may be the exception rather than the rule.

I was thinking of the ancestor of whales even further back, before they even semi-aquatic.  It looked like something that might raid your trash can at night.  There were some types of crocdilia that looked different, but they are long extinct.  The current ones look a lot like their direct ancestors. Other animals that look remarkably similar are some species of frog and fish.  A lot of these things are "cold blooded".  Perhaps there is some limitation in inherent in their cardiovascular system or nervous system. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2014, 03:07:35 PM
The current ones look a lot like their direct ancestors.

I'm not sure that they didn't pass through a phase where they looked different though. Virtually all land animals of a certain size went extinct at the end of the Cretaceous. Are you sure they didn't?

QuoteOther animals that look remarkably similar are some species of frog and fish.

Fish--yeah, I excluded them earlier. Larger fish species tend to be more durable. Amphibians--while there are larger specimens, I'm not sure any of the larger specimens have a continuous and consistent history going back so far.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on July 30, 2014, 09:58:03 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 30, 2014, 09:55:10 AM

Agreed - 'invasive species' caused by humans moving stuff around has, so far, had a truly enormous impact. I suspect it is the single most significant thing people have done to affect species diversity.
Bastard American squirrels and crayfish :ultra:
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on July 30, 2014, 03:28:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2014, 03:07:35 PM
The current ones look a lot like their direct ancestors.

I'm not sure that they didn't pass through a phase where they looked different though. Virtually all land animals of a certain size went extinct at the end of the Cretaceous. Are you sure they didn't?

QuoteOther animals that look remarkably similar are some species of frog and fish.

Fish--yeah, I excluded them earlier. Larger fish species tend to be more durable. Amphibians--while there are larger specimens, I'm not sure any of the larger specimens have a continuous and consistent history going back so far.

Of course I can't be sure.  When you talk about "large" animals, how large are you thinking.  In my mind I was thinking larger then a rat mostly to distinguish it from things like bugs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2014, 05:24:13 PM

What have squirrels or crayfish ever done to you?  :huh:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 30, 2014, 06:19:39 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2014, 05:24:13 PM

What have squirrels or crayfish ever done to you?  :huh:
They're both invasive species. American Grey Squirrels kill prettier Red Squirrels.

American signal crayfish are more serious. As well as outcompeting the local crayfish population they fuck up the river banks which causes problems for all sorts of other species. We're encouraged to trap and eat the oversexed bastards :contract:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on July 30, 2014, 06:02:09 PM

Of course I can't be sure.  When you talk about "large" animals, how large are you thinking.  In my mind I was thinking larger then a rat mostly to distinguish it from things like bugs.

I didn't have a firm definition in mind, but a bit bigger than yours. More than ~3 ft tall? (or in the case of a crocodile, long)

frunk

Evolution isn't a steady progress for any population.  There's a variety of reasons for this:

Species that fit their niche well tend to stay in it.
Opportunities to exploit a new niche.
Sexual reproduction rate.  Ant's sexual reproduction rate isn't as fast as might be expected, as the majority of it is asexual.
Adaptability of current form.

The ant morphology/hive behavior seems to be one of the sweet spots in evolutionary development.  It's been developed independently at least twice (ants and termites) and both times have been very successful.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 30, 2014, 06:25:54 PM
They're both invasive species. American Grey Squirrels kill prettier Red Squirrels.

Even our squirrels are racists :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: frunk on July 31, 2014, 09:47:52 AM
Evolution isn't a steady progress for any population.  There's a variety of reasons for this:

Sexual reproduction rate.  Ant's sexual reproduction rate isn't as fast as might be expected, as the majority of it is asexual.

The ant morphology/hive behavior seems to be one of the sweet spots in evolutionary development.  It's been developed independently at least twice (ants and termites) and both times have been very successful.
I was not aware that some ants reproduce asexually.  :blink: How is evolution even possible in that case?

FWIW I just looked it up on wiki after your comment. It indicates that some species do not mate at all. That may not be 100% accurate of course.

Razgovory

Well, at one point all evolution was driven by asexual reproduction.

frunk

Quote from: Maximus on July 31, 2014, 11:29:38 AM
Quote from: frunk on July 31, 2014, 09:47:52 AM

I was not aware that some ants reproduce asexually.  :blink: How is evolution even possible in that case?

FWIW I just looked it up on wiki after your comment. It indicates that some species do not mate at all. That may not be 100% accurate of course.

From the wiki:

QuoteThe life of an ant starts from an egg. If the egg is fertilised, the progeny will be female (diploid); if not, it will be male (haploid).

There's always a chance for some random mutation during reproduction even if it is asexual.  There isn't nearly as much genetic variety possible, but it is there.

alfred russel

Most of us probably know that bacteria reproduce by fission asexually. But you may not know that some bacteria have methods of gene transfer in their reproductive cycle, creating a sort of sexual mechanism of reproduction.

It has been a while since I was in school, so this theory may not be current anymore, but in college I was taught the theory that bacterial lines that can only reproduce by fission--true asexual reproduction--are all less than 10,000 years old. Apparently while asexual reproduction is more efficient in the short term, in the long term it slows evolution to the extent that it is a dead end. So asexual reproduction keeps reevolving, only to die out after some short term success.