News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is Every Speed Limit Too Low?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 27, 2014, 09:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

That is definitely too fast to stop for ducks.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Yes every speed limit is too low.

@Pete, you can't ever go that fast in Quebec, our roads will kill you before you reach it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: Iormlund on July 28, 2014, 01:10:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2014, 03:05:05 AM
I've never, ever felt comfortable driving over 100 for any stretch of time, though, even on a straightaway and even with sports cars.  It's the sound of the engine, I think, which impresses upon me the fact that any accident is likely to be fatal (which is true even at 65 or 70, but it's not so obvious and immediate).

There's a very big difference between 65 and 100 because a) kinetic energy is proportional to the speed squared b) you have less time to react and thus are able to shed less energy by braking and finally c) the chassis of a car can only absorb a fixed amount of energy.

I'm so turned on right now.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

PDH

There are several stretches of I-80 and I-25 in Wyoming that are now 80mph posted.  Most of the drivers still seem to drive a bit slower than this still.  My Civic seems stable and good at 80, not sure about how it would be that much faster than this.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM