Started by Archy, July 21, 2014, 02:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: derspiess on July 21, 2014, 02:31:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2014, 01:13:39 PM
Quote from: Tyr on July 21, 2014, 11:20:15 AM
Sounds good. Works just as well as blowing a bajillion on a fancy party

No booze at McDonalds.  :secret:

Not at the ones in the US, no.  But I wouldn't be surprised if they served beer at McD's franchises in foreign lands.

Wasn't it the reason DGuller wanted to visit a Mc Donald's in France?  :hmm:

Monoriu

McDonald's will always have a special place in my heart, so I understand why some people want to have a party there.  I absolutely loved it as a kid, because it was probably the only place where I could genuinely order whatever I wanted and the parents would be ok with it.  Really, how expensive could it be? 

The place is clean, I can see the kitchen, the quality is consistent, the service is quick and hassle-free, the staff are ok and aren't usually rude to children like so many restaurant waiters.  Some of the food sucked (McDonald's is the reason why I thought milk-shakes are from hell), but I thought their hashbrowns, pork sausuages, chicken nuggets and some of the specialty burgers (e.g. the Japanese style burder with teriyaki sauce) were heavenly.  The chicken nuggets had no bones.  Loved those.  Most Chinese places sell chicken with bones, which I hated.  The BBQ dipping sauce is fantastic.  Initially, chicken nuggets was a special item that was only available periodically.  One of the happiest days of my life was when I learned that it would be a regular item on the menu.

I would memorise their menu by heart.  I actually paid attention when there was a TV McDonald's advertisement, because I needed to know if they had any new product.  Then I would drag my parents there to try it (I had no money until I was an adult).   

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on July 22, 2014, 05:22:24 AM
McDonald's will always have a special place in my heart, so I understand why some people want to have a party there.  I absolutely loved it as a kid, because it was probably the only place where I could genuinely order whatever I wanted and the parents would be ok with it.  Really, how expensive could it be? 

McDonald's was the promised land for me growing up.  I rarely got to go there because mom wanted to keep us away from fast food as much as she could.  My parents always just told us it was "too expensive" when my brothers & I wanted to go.  So I thought only rich kids got to eat there.  Practically the only occasions my parents took us to McDonald's as a kid was when we were on vacation and had to stop somewhere to eat. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Heh, McDonald's was a special treat as a kid for me, too.  Usually on Fridays, when Mom and/or Dad were simply too pooped to cook.

Monoriu

Quote from: Norgy on July 22, 2014, 09:01:52 AM
Enjoy your Chicken McExpired, Mono.

http://qz.com/237708/the-us-meat-processing-company-at-the-rotten-center-of-chinas-latest-food-scandal/

Yeah, it is all over the news here too.  Not exactly McDonald's fault, as the problematic company supplied meat to lots of fast food chains. 

Syt

I was a teen when I went to McD for the first time. The nearest was out of town, so you needed a car to get there, which we didn't have. Then again, every German town has an Imbiss, or unbranded fast food place where you can get your french fries fix (and, traditionally, grilled chicken and currywurst).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on July 22, 2014, 09:01:52 AM
Enjoy your Chicken McExpired, Mono.

http://qz.com/237708/the-us-meat-processing-company-at-the-rotten-center-of-chinas-latest-food-scandal/

Color me shocked.  In lead paint, of course.

The FDA has opened a satellite office in Shanghai.  Talk about Fort Apache.

Savonarola

I met an American anthropology graduate student when I was in Fez.  She said that there McDonald's is considered a high end restaurant.  McDonald's is (by the standards of Morocco) expensive, western, air-conditioned and has such exotic treats as ice cream.  She said her undergraduate students had a great deal of difficulty grasping this.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

The McDonalds locations in Argentina tend to be nicer than ours.  And they actually put real toys in the happy meals, not the cheaper crap that ends up in pieces at the bottom of the toy box.

But they don't seem to be much higher in status there than here, at least among the middle & upper classes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 22, 2014, 09:34:33 AM
Heh, McDonald's was a special treat as a kid for me, too.  Usually on Fridays, when Mom and/or Dad were simply too pooped to cook.

I recall when I was younger that birthdays always met that one of our parents would go out before we woke up and get us egg mcmuffins.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Chick-fil-A nuggets blow McDonalds out of the water. Delicious taste of homophobia. :mmm: Well, that and real chicken.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 22, 2014, 01:33:44 PM
Chick-fil-A nuggets blow McDonalds out of the water. Delicious taste of homophobia. :mmm: Well, that and real chicken.

I am not aware of any Chick-fil-As in HK.  I used to have chicken nuggets at the Kentucky Fried Chicken places in Vancouver, but somehow I can't find them in HK.  They only sell chicken with bones  :mad:  The other one I really liked is White Spot/Triple O, and they have opened many branches here. 

But I haven't bought chicken nuggets for many years, because I want to avoid eating too much deep-fried stuff. 

derspiess

Is boneless chicken that rare in HK? Here you can get boneless chicken breast (grilled or fried) anywhere.

Monoriu

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2014, 09:31:50 PM
Is boneless chicken that rare in HK? Here you can get boneless chicken breast (grilled or fried) anywhere.

Chinese and westerners have different tastes regarding chicken.  Chinese place great emphasis on the tenderness of the meat, and they prefer small chicken, drumsticks and wings.  They consider large birds and chicken breasts too coarse.  In Chinese meals, a chicken must be served whole, including the head.  My taste is closer to a westerner, and my no. 1 priority is boneless meat.