Forget Red State, Blue State: Is Your State "Tight" or "Loose"?

Started by merithyn, July 10, 2014, 11:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Didn't expect you to be a big "Settlement of the West/Gold Rush" kinda guy.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2014, 09:48:57 PM

I suppose "a lot of history" must be a very relative thing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

OttoVonBismarck

Baltimore actually has nicer history, you can see the shit hole row house Babe Ruth was born in, for example.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 13, 2014, 10:04:44 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2014, 09:48:57 PM

I suppose "a lot of history" must be a very relative thing.

I suppose so.  So there.  Nyah3.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 13, 2014, 10:57:30 PM
Baltimore actually has nicer history, you can see the shit hole row house Babe Ruth was born in, for example.

Lulz, and Frednecksburg chips in. 

OttoVonBismarck

We do have a ACW battleground and associated park sir.

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 13, 2014, 11:15:25 PM
We do have a ACW battleground and associated park sir.

Otto, you live in Fredrickburg VA?  Have your ever heard of a family called the "Miners"?  A General Miner built a house in Jefferson City in the mid 19th century, before the civil war.  I found a reference to his home in an old map, and found a brief description of him a 19th century lawyer's memoirs.  The account said he had come from Fredricksburg and became a lawmaker in Jefferson City.  The map I found was pretty neat, it showed the fortifications around Jefferson City during the Civil War.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

You might mean the family of John Minor, I know a little bit about him (time for shame: I'm associated w/the Fredericksburg Historic Foundation), primarily in that his massive mansion and estate, Hazel Hill, was a very prominent FBurg landmark up until the mid-19th century. All I know about Minor himself is he was a Revolutionary War soldier who was later a Brig. General in the Virginia militia in the War of 1812, and that he served in the State legislature. He's buried here also, and if you ever walk the cemetery his is a very prominent and easily noticed grave.

Hazel Hill would probably be one of the old mansions involved in the various tours if it stood to this day, but it was destroyed in the Battle of Fredericksburg, rebuilt, and then torn down again for reasons that are unclear.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Does it tell you who shot who in the Embarcadero in August 1879?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 14, 2014, 08:58:39 AM
You might mean the family of John Minor, I know a little bit about him (time for shame: I'm associated w/the Fredericksburg Historic Foundation), primarily in that his massive mansion and estate, Hazel Hill, was a very prominent FBurg landmark up until the mid-19th century. All I know about Minor himself is he was a Revolutionary War soldier who was later a Brig. General in the Virginia militia in the War of 1812, and that he served in the State legislature. He's buried here also, and if you ever walk the cemetery his is a very prominent and easily noticed grave.

Hazel Hill would probably be one of the old mansions involved in the various tours if it stood to this day, but it was destroyed in the Battle of Fredericksburg, rebuilt, and then torn down again for reasons that are unclear.

Thanks, I had seen it written "Minor" and "Miner".  This is what I found about him.

http://books.google.com/books?id=JqosAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA335&lpg=PA335&dq=%22general+minor%22+Jefferson+City&source=bl&ots=d_5gwHBu-_&sig=bNU9qFLIHKtnGxBQnF2saDfaAOE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zuPDU-qhH4adyATwuoCQDA&ved=0CDIQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=%22general%20minor%22%20Jefferson%20City&f=false
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 13, 2014, 09:15:03 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 13, 2014, 02:35:05 PM
SF fucking sucks.

Bah.  Great restaurants, lots of history, decent sports franchises that don't make you retch, awesome funky weather, and you get to watch dozens of people every year kill themselves off a really nice bridge.

They are raising money for a suicide net on the Golden Gate. Seriously.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

I don't think anyone is going to decide not to kill themselves because they hear that there is a net on the Golden Gate bridge.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!