News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ann Coulter Is Right to Fear the World Cup

Started by Syt, July 02, 2014, 07:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

It would be nice if grumbler were to show up in this thread.  I want to hear what he has to say about this.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on July 02, 2014, 05:19:57 PM
It would be nice if grumbler were to show up in this thread.  I want to hear what he has to say about this.

I'd be interested in his thoughts on the topic as well, but we are closing in on 100 replies. Imagine all the grammar errors he would need to pounce on before he could share his thoughts on the topic at hand.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Agelastus

Quote from: alfred russel on July 02, 2014, 05:28:58 PM

I'd be interested in his thoughts on the topic as well, but we are closing in on 100 replies. Imagine all the grammar errors he would need to pounce on before he could share his thoughts on the topic at hand.

CC's in the thread; he'll skip the grammar in favour of the jugular.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on July 02, 2014, 05:30:06 PM
And so the balance of nature is preserved...
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Agelastus on July 02, 2014, 05:30:06 PM

pfft,

At a mere 6'3'' he could barely get a good shot in at my shoulders before he hit the ground like a flopping Dutch striker.

Norgy

You mean the grumbler who thinks "charactor" is a word?  ;)

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2014, 02:35:25 PM
Soccer is fun to play.  But to watch, is often boring.  But that US-Belgium game yesterday was fantastic.  :yeah:

Caring who wins makes a really big difference.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I didn't care much for watching sports until I was an adult.  I admit that soccer game was fun to watch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2014, 05:01:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2014, 04:51:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2014, 04:48:07 PM
I think you have made my point.  Football is a game of stoppages of play which are far more lengthy than the play itself.  So much so that fans must distract themselves by having enough time to second guess coaching decisions which occur during the stoppages in play.

Your point is you don't like that.  Our point is we do. 

No, when I first brought up the issue that football was slow paced there was all kinds of disagreement.  Someone even tried to suggest it was fast paced.  Now you people seem to agree that football is slow paced but you embrace the stoppages in play.

You just said it was slow.  I won't argue that the overall pace is slow.  My point was that the action was fast.  But as usual you ignored important parts of my argument.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: Viking on July 02, 2014, 06:49:22 PM
Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2014, 02:35:25 PM
Soccer is fun to play.  But to watch, is often boring.  But that US-Belgium game yesterday was fantastic.  :yeah:

Caring who wins makes a really big difference.

This is the problem soccer has in the US. Hockey too, to an extent. The US gets behind the international teams, but we just don't have personal connections with the professional clubs (an exception being in the northeast in the US for hockey).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2014, 03:48:35 PM:huh:

You asked me whether the CFL was more popular than soccer in Canada.

I'm aware--but you also pointed out that soccer is "by far the most played" sport in Canada in addition to answering the CFL question. I wasn't sure if this was you saying soccer is the most popular sport in Canada or not. So I brought up that I (assumed) hockey is Canada's most popular sport even if it isn't Canada's most played sport.

This would mirror the situation in America where football is by far our most popular sport (as measured by fan interest, various polls, and television ratings--live attendance is murkier due to the other sports having vastly more games but per game football is much higher) but is not our most played sport.

I'm not sure how they'd rank, but I know bowling is generally claimed to be the most played sport. But bowling is seriously questionable as a sport (as it very nearly requires no athleticism, it couldn't be played by a quadriplegic but it stretches the already murky definition of sport.) After that baseball and its derivatives and soccer would rank very, very highly. Primarily because both have robust amateur leagues from very young ages up through adulthood. I know tons of people who are on adult baseball or softball teams and some who are in soccer leagues as well. Even for the kiddos, there's usually lots of opportunities to play baseball outside of the school system--Little League for example goes up through High School age and is separate from the schools (usually around here the kids who can't make the cut on the High School team will play Little League, but in some areas where the schools aren't big into it Little League has the best kids of that age.) Little League alone has 3m players annually, and this is only kids 4-18, and doesn't count the school system leagues and all the adult leagues.

Football on the other hand is basically exclusively played:

1. In "midget leagues", which are for kids typically grades 4/5/6.
2. In school teams for jr/sr/college kids.
3. Professionally (NFL mostly, Arena football in some form still exists etc.)

There aren't all these other leagues for football, largely because there aren't enough people interested in playing. You don't casually play full contact football into middle age like you might do with softball. I know a lot of people who have wrecked knees for life just from playing football for a few years in their late teens. To be honest football is a terrible sport for your health because of the way it evolved to emphasize maximum impact collisions (Rugby or Australian Rules Football players just don't lay each other out like that because the lack of armor makes it basically insane to do so, armor allows it to happen and prevents the immediate term catastrophic damage most of the time, but the long term problems are definitely there even aside from the concussion stuff.) Even aside from the health concerns, full contact football, like hockey, is expensive. Lots of expensive equipment, and you need big teams etc.

Flag football is played somewhat though, but that's different enough from tackle football as to not be the same thing (to me it's a much bigger difference than say, baseball vs softball, which are almost the same sport with slightly different equipment.)

crazy canuck

By most played sport I meant by kids and teenagers.  I dont know what the most played sport for adults might be in Canada.  It is probably hockey as a lot of mens leagues have limited hitting rules and so it is a low impact sport compared to say basketball which remains hard on the joints (all that running and jumping).  As a result kids that played hockey continue to do so well into their adult years.  Not so much for basketball.  I also suspect curling is up there in terms of adult participation (as much as it pains me to say).

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 03, 2014, 11:36:08 AM
By most played sport I meant by kids and teenagers.  I dont know what the most played sport for adults might be in Canada.  It is probably hockey as a lot of mens leagues have limited hitting rules and so it is a low impact sport compared to say basketball which remains hard on the joints (all that running and jumping).  As a result kids that played hockey continue to do so well into their adult years.  Not so much for basketball.  I also suspect curling is up there in terms of adult participation (as much as it pains me to say).

According to curling.ca there are 653,000 curlers in Canada, or 2.2% of the entire population.

I don't think it's #1 in terms of participation, but it's right up there.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.