Main Menu

SCOTUS decides for Hobby Lobby

Started by merithyn, June 30, 2014, 12:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on July 09, 2014, 08:16:39 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 08, 2014, 07:57:46 PM
Wordy people can't be smart?

Smart people aren't wordy.  Using more words than necessary isn't the choice smart people make.

What if it isn't a choice?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Smart people aren't wordy.  Using more words than necessary isn't the choice smart people make.

So smart people can't take joy in the use of language, using alternate phrasing to express their ideas?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2014, 09:10:08 AM

So smart people can't take joy in the use of language, using alternate phrasing to express their ideas?

You think Grumbler knows what smart people do? :huh:

grumbler

Why not?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on July 09, 2014, 08:57:37 AM
What if it isn't a choice?

Being smart is almost never a choice.  I'd bet someone like cRazy cAnuck would choose to be smart, if only that were possible.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

I'm just surprised at this idea that 1984-speak is the high watermark of intellect.

And yes, g, I know you didn't see that but that sort of seems like a great example of brevity in speech (using as few words as possible).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Can we get back to how Cal slandered our fine community?  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2014, 09:38:35 AM
I'm just surprised at this idea that 1984-speak is the high watermark of intellect.

I'm astonished by it as well.  Certainly creating strawman arguments is not the high-water mark of intellect.

QuoteAnd yes, g, I know you didn't see that but that sort of seems like a great example of brevity in speech (using as few words as possible).

There are all kinds of degrees between 1984 and wordiness.  Your argument is a classic false dichotomy.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2014, 09:39:46 AM
Can we get back to how Cal slandered our fine community?  :P

His "slander" about Siege is probably correct.  Siege has a great shtick, but he has been careless a few times and shown it to be just a shtick.

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2014, 09:38:35 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2014, 09:22:20 AM

And yes, g, I know you didn't see that but that sort of seems like a great example of brevity in speech (using as few words as possible).

Grumbler is confusing something he once heard said by someone who was smart.

I agree with you that smart people normally use descriptive language to communicate their meaning rather than using the shorthand of "double plus good".

Eddie Teach

Smart people avoid Internet debates. 
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 09, 2014, 11:57:01 AM
Smart people avoid Internet debates.

There's something we can all agree on.  No smart people here (JR excepted).

Bayraktar!

Valmy

It is so weird how grumbler constantly whines about how much this board and all its members suck (except JR) and are total wastes of time.  Yet he keeps coming back.  Deep down in his black black heart he must actually love us  :wub:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2014, 12:08:05 PM
It is so weird how grumbler constantly whines about how much this board and all its members suck (except JR) and are total wastes of time.  Yet he keeps coming back.  Deep down in his black black heart he must actually love us  :wub:

Or he just isnt very smart.  :cry: