Robots providing better shareholder value than CdM

Started by Valmy, June 24, 2014, 08:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Iormlund on June 24, 2014, 03:39:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2014, 08:37:51 AM
Fortunately Communism will save us all!  I guess we all need to get training in building and repairing robots.

We desperately need competent roboticians. There seems to be a sort of mini-boom in the automotive industry going on right now and people with the right skills are ridiculously hard to find (ironic in a country with >25% unemployment).

With a bit of luck my employers will see that as an opportunity to pay to train me in the ways of robot-fu, but I'm not holding my breath.

In my current job I'm participating in the ultimate examples of automation. I'm overseeing the commissioning of a high-powered laser worth almost a million bucks. Other than engineers and maintenance folk, just one person is needed to load and unload parts. It can do in minutes a better job than what took a team of experienced welders hours.
My next project involves a press worth probably tens of millions (perhaps over a hundred), that again only one dude operates.

[favorable comment about STEM, negative comment about liberal arts]
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Berkut

If you extrapolate the trend of human history out, how does it end somewhere other than humans simply not being needed to produce "stuff" anymore?

The number of humans needed to make things has gone down per unit of stuff made consistently since humans learned how to start thinking. Industrial revolution, computers, automation - the long term result must be that human labor as a means of powering anything (whether that be mechanical power or brain power) will forever be a diminishing value.

For a long time (although not that long at all in historical terms) we were able to use the increased productivity to make more stuff to sell to the people helping make more stuff. But at some point, everyone has enough stuff for the most part. The number one health problem of the poor in America is obesity. I think we've reached the point where we have enough stuff, and the ability to produce stuff with less labor isn't going to be handled simply by making yet more stuff, rather it will be used to make the same amount of stuff with less expensive labor.

At some point human labor, in most cases, will simply cease to be valuable.

I think we are starting to see the beginnings of that stage in human social evolution. It will be interesting to see how humans manage the changing realities of human labor becoming nearly valueless, while at the same time we've depleted the bulk of the easily obtainable natural resources on the planet.

I would not all be shocked that this is at least part of the answer to Fermi's paradox - intelligence demands certain traits that result in a social model that has a very difficult time transitioning out of a scarce labor model.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on June 24, 2014, 08:01:25 PM
I think we are starting to see the beginnings of that stage in human social evolution. It will be interesting to see how humans manage the changing realities of human labor becoming nearly valueless, while at the same time we've depleted the bulk of the easily obtainable natural resources on the planet.

Mine the asteroids! :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Berkut's got a pretty great point there.  There's going to come a point where the wealth of society is going to have to be nationalized, or you're going to have to exterminate eight or nine billion people--who will fight back.

Sometimes I don't really care which.  Whether that point is ten, twenty, thirty, or forty years from now, I'll probably have been dead for a while, and even if I'm not, having a distant satisfaction that I was right and most the people I know are blindered idiots would be truly cold comfort.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Ide's smug ghost haunting our descendants. Truly a nightmare.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

"Movies were better when I was alive."  "I can't believe 180 pounds is now considered 'thin.' "  "There aren't many jobs for ghosts..."

Edit: and so forth.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Helots can always be culled. A meatbag surplus doesn't really worry me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on June 24, 2014, 09:01:13 PM
you're going to have to exterminate eight or nine billion people--who will fight back.

That will be no problem for the army of cheaply made Freedom Defense Robots.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

We desperately need competent roboticians.

Damnit I should have been a mechanical engineer.  Oh well too late now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2014, 11:41:18 AM
We desperately need competent roboticians.

Damnit I should have been a mechanical engineer.  Oh well too late now.

Engineers who work with robots over here tend to have degrees in Electronics (or Automation if available). You don't really need an engineering degree though, vocational training might suffice. It's one of those skills you can only acquire on the job (awfully hard to get a robot to tinker with otherwise).
However, some knowledge of mechanics comes handy if you want to become a welding expert as well. Someone who is both a good robotician and welder, is the kind of thing that's really hard to find.

The Brain

If the chick in Flashdance took some robot courses she would swing seven figures?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2014, 08:37:51 AM
1. 85 people alone command as much wealth as the poorest half of the world.

This is kind of a silly stat.  There are a lot of people in the world that have zero or negative net worth.  So one could also accurately say that "Valmy commands as much wealth as the poorest 35% of the world" or something like that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain