The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

The Taliban did the same in Afghanistan, destroying ancient antique statues and treasures. So no surprise to see ISIS doing it but still so sad to see these ancient historical treasures being destroyed. They don't want any reminders of the other cultures, people, ideas or the civilized world.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2015, 12:04:35 PM
Certainly not their most appalling act but ugh.

Yeah, actually it is.  Killing people is one thing, but destroying the history of human civilization is something entirely different.

QuoteCan't speak to the video itself as like with all their other videos, I ain't watching.

Just like we've seen before, from the Taliban to Timbuktu, it's heartbreaking.

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 26, 2015, 04:09:55 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 26, 2015, 12:04:35 PM
Certainly not their most appalling act but ugh.

Yeah, actually it is.  Killing people is one thing, but destroying the history of human civilization is something entirely different.

I am just glad Slargos is not around to see you say this.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 04:17:13 PM
I am just glad Slargos is not around to see you say this.

Meh, I beat Slargos with a copy of Deities & Demigods, 1st Ed.

dps

mongers

I presume most of you have seen this, apparently Jihadi John as been identified as this 'Londoner':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31637090

'Jihadi John' named as Mohammed Emwazi from London

The masked Islamic State militant known as "Jihadi John", who has been pictured in the videos of the beheadings of Western hostages, has been named.

He is Mohammed Emwazi, a Kuwaiti-born British man in his mid-20s from west London, who was previously known to British security services.

British police declined to comment, citing ongoing investigations.

Emwazi first appeared in a video last August, when he apparently killed the US journalist James Foley.

He was later thought to have been pictured in the videos of the beheadings of US journalist Steven Sotloff, British aid worker David Haines, British taxi driver Alan Henning, and American aid worker Abdul-Rahman Kassig, also known as Pete

There may be a bit of a media storm brewing over this given that a extremism research group have been popping up explaining how this guy was 'driven' into the arms of IS/extremism by the attentions of the British security services.  :rolleyes:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

I was laughing at the CAGE faggits. specifically the bald whiner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 26, 2015, 06:39:40 PM
I was laughing at the CAGE faggits. specifically the bald whiner.

Yeah that guy was just terrible, no idea of the context within which he was making those comments; "a beautiful young man".   :huh:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on February 26, 2015, 01:29:41 PM
I haven't been following this thread.

Did Raz find a quote of Barack Hussein Obama saying Mohammed without saying PBUH?

Yes, but you never said that you would admit you were wrong and become a Democrat if I proved you lied.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Wait are they claiming the British security services were observing a completely blameless wonderful young man who, in response to being observed, went to Syria and joined ISIS?  Or did the British send him over as a spy or something and he went turncoat?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on February 26, 2015, 06:33:55 PM
There may be a bit of a media storm brewing over this given that a extremism research group have been popping up explaining how this guy was 'driven' into the arms of IS/extremism by the attentions of the British security services.  :rolleyes:
I hope the media will be a bit less credulous about CAGE and Begg. I doubt it though <_<

QuoteWait are they claiming the British security services were observing a completely blameless wonderful young man who, in response to being observed, went to Syria and joined ISIS?  Or did the British send him over as a spy or something and he went turncoat?
The former. Glad to hear that British intelligence did apparently try to turn him at least.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 27, 2015, 02:07:47 AM
Glad to hear that British intelligence did apparently try to turn him at least.

Or they just put it out there that they tried, to portray him to ISIL as a questionable asset.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2015, 08:27:17 PM
Wait are they claiming the British security services were observing a completely blameless wonderful young man who, in response to being observed, went to Syria and joined ISIS?  Or did the British send him over as a spy or something and he went turncoat?

"How dare they suspect me of being a terrorist! For that insult, I must cut off heads!"  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius