The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Jordan is an amazingly well run country given the circumstances. Long live the Hashemites!

Eddie Teach

I'm not disagreeing with the assessment, just surprised it was made.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 05, 2015, 11:20:18 AM
Jordan is an amazingly well run country given the circumstances. Long live the Hashemites!

You can thank AnchorClanker for that. 

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 09:22:32 AMWell I checked my passport and it says clearly that the loss of citizenship can result from taking oaths to a foreign state or serving voluntarily in a foreign military.  So I guess my passport is lying?  I guess I read that and just assumed those actions, along with a few others, are things that would result in my losing my citizenship.  If that is not true, why is it printed on my passport?

No, your passport says it "can" happen. It can, in certain circumstances. Not sure if you missed it but I quoted direct from the State Department page on this, and it cited U.S. Code. U.S. naturalized citizens can lose citizenship if they serve in a foreign army. But the law requires that such service has demonstrable intent that said service is intended to be a renunciation of U.S. citizenship. The State Department explains that most foreign military service does not result in loss of citizenship since that intent element usually is not present. But it would "like" for its citizens not to do it, since it results in situations in which an American citizen may be fighting in a war against a country with which the United States is at peace, which can create unfortunate diplomatic situations. But unless your service has a clear intent element that demonstrates you intended to renounce American citizenship by said service, it doesn't lead to loss of citizenship.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2015, 11:25:16 AM

Right now, he is strangling Jordan's remaining ISIS prisoners.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 09:35:20 AM
Nowhere does it say anything about multiple citizenship, which I was under the impression the US did not even recognize.

Which is also not true. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Seems to me the bigger problem is foreign army veterans gaining U.S. citizenship through mercenary service in the U.S. armed forces.

Siege

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2015, 08:06:18 PM
CNN reported UAE pulled out its planes because of the pilot barbeque.

I would have never guessed that a barbeque could clear up the sky from enemy airplanes. These ISIS dudes are very resourceful.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 05, 2015, 11:23:20 AM

Well, to me "hot" means "sexually attractive to people of the appropriate sexual orientation". I can observe reactions of others and extrapolate - I don't need to get an erection to realise someone is hot.

Heterosexual men who claim that they cannot judge if another guy is hot have always baffled me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 05, 2015, 11:25:16 AM

I shall treat him to the finest beers known to man next time I see him as thanks  :cool:

Malthus

Only on Languish would an earnest discussion of the middle eastern situation turn into a Hashemite beauty contest.   :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2015, 11:41:48 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 05, 2015, 11:23:20 AM

Well, to me "hot" means "sexually attractive to people of the appropriate sexual orientation". I can observe reactions of others and extrapolate - I don't need to get an erection to realise someone is hot.

Heterosexual men who claim that they cannot judge if another guy is hot have always baffled me.

You are right. I can tell when men are hot.
When I look in the mirror i see only hottness.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Richard Hakluyt