The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2015, 09:03:56 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2015, 08:48:41 PM
I read that the US has admitted to killing a high up Hezbollah guy back in 2008.

Mughniyah?  Yeah, that fucking piece of shit had run up quite the tab over the years, and it was time to collect on his ass.  I'm glad the CIA was involved in twisting that motherfucker's cap back.

In the Washington Post (which I get free on my Kindle!), it was some weird collaboration with the Israelis.  We designed the bomb, and our spotter made the call, but the trigger was pulled by the Mossad, in Tel Aviv.  God only knows why they had such a complicated setup.  I agree the its good that they killed this fucker.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 30, 2015, 05:59:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2015, 11:59:37 PM
Yeah, without any specific insight I'd guess that to the degree Turkey doesn't mind the ISIS, it's down to the ISIS messing with groups and people Turkey likes even less.
There is also a strong jihadi element in parts of Turkey, previously they were very present in Chechnya, now Syria.

Kobane looks like maybe the Stalingrad of the Kurds.

ISIS is the enemy of the Kurds and Assad, so I guess Turkey likes that. But still, who wants ISIS lunatics on your border? Plus them kicking up trouble in Syria and Iraq contributes to instability and a refugee crisis on the Turkish side of the border.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

I wonder why westerners and Japanese are still going there.  Why did they go there in the first place?

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on January 31, 2015, 09:11:01 PM
Whatever happened to traditional beheadings in which you actually cut the guy's head off to kill them. Most of these people are having their throats slit and then they just hack/saw the head off the already dead body. Middle Ages Euro rulers would be shocked at their incompetence in head-removal.

It's probably a lost skill set.

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on January 28, 2015, 11:10:31 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 28, 2015, 11:07:28 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 28, 2015, 11:03:10 AM
A couple of kurds run one of my favorite kebab spots in downtown Barcelona, I hope they are sending my hard-earned 5€ to the peshmergas. I will even order extra chick pea salad next time.

Yeah, as a community they deserve a break;  I think it's time they formalised themselves as an independent state* . Which we should then recognise.

* I don't think it's up to the West to do that or define it, given the historic problem of having set out previous borders there.
Yeah, now that Turkey is going full retard, my sympathies are fully with the Kurds.  Maybe if they get their own country, it will be just another Stan, but I think that they deserve to have a go at it.

In fact, it will almost certainly be another Stan. Kurdi-Stan, specifically. :P

Crazy_Ivan80

Whatever happened to traditional beheadings in which you actually cut the guy's head off to kill them. Most of these people are having their throats slit and then they just hack/saw the head off the already dead body. Middle Ages Euro rulers would be shocked at their incompetence in head-removal.

they're not doing traditional beheadings but butchering people like cattle. Which is the point. unbelievers just animals to be butchered for them.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 01, 2015, 05:12:50 AM

they're not doing traditional beheadings but butchering people like cattle. Which is the point. unbelievers just animals to be butchered for them.

That sounds about right. A medieval beheading was a courtesy extended to the higher ranks, the lower orders had to put up with a hanging.

Martinus

If you want quality beheadings, you need to go to Saudi Arabia. ISIL is a poor man's copy cat.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2015, 09:38:42 PM
Having your throat slit kills you, but it doesn't kill you that quickly.

It is all relative. Slower than a guillotine. But faster than cancer or an execution in Oklahoma.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Quote from: alfred russel on February 01, 2015, 12:59:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2015, 09:38:42 PM
Having your throat slit kills you, but it doesn't kill you that quickly.

It is all relative. Slower than a guillotine. But faster than cancer or living in Oklahoma.

FYP
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Because it hurts more.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Siege

Because muslims do not have the physical strenght to behead a person with any type of handheld blade.
It is a proven fact that muslims are physically weaker than other people.
I mean fit, military serving people, not Timmay or Mono working in an office, of course.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: DGuller on January 31, 2015, 09:38:42 PMHaving your throat slit kills you, but it doesn't kill you that quickly.

Sure, but depending on how deep they cut loss of consciousness is pretty damn quick.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Monoriu on January 31, 2015, 11:25:52 PM
I wonder why westerners and Japanese are still going there.  Why did they go there in the first place?

Journalists go for the story, aid workers go for the feels. However both of them could get either in any number of safer places--in fact reporters scurrying around Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan have frankly published very few meaningful stories about these conflict zones. I'm not saying there is no value to on the ground journalism, but most of the more meaningful pieces to come out during the GWoT have been written by typical journalists working in cushy major cities in the West doing traditional investigative journalism. So in addition to their justification for being there, part of it in my frank opinion is the "thrill seeker" aspect. People get addicted to this stuff. A lot of reporters have been kidnapped multiple times and keep going back to war zones (I believe a few of the ones ISIS beheaded fell into that category actually, this wasn't their first time in terrorist hands.)

Quote from: Jacob on January 31, 2015, 11:59:21 PMIt's probably a lost skill set.

I've never watched a Saudi beheading, but I'm assuming they have headsmen who know what's what.

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on February 01, 2015, 05:12:50 AMthey're not doing traditional beheadings but butchering people like cattle. Which is the point. unbelievers just animals to be butchered for them.

Right, but they are justifying it based on a passage from the Quran that says to "strike at the neck", to me a strike is...a strike. Not a slit with a knife. I feel these ISIS guys don't have the ability to properly swing an axe or sword and that's embarrassing for people who want to be holy warriors.