The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Can we give the Kurds the H-Bomb to keep the Arabs out of their land?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

alfred russel

Quote from: LaCroix on August 06, 2014, 07:29:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2014, 09:09:15 AMAnyway agreed I look forward to all those 'not anti-Semites but humanitarians' marching against ISIS across Europe.

i think it has to do with heightened standard. no one cares when two ghetto thugs kill each other. people care more when an attorney or doctor commits murder

Are you stereotyping jews as lawyers and doctors?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

LaCroix

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Also,  I've read reports that fighting is within 30 km of the Kurdiah capital of Erbil and the people are starting to panic and flee. I hope it's not true.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 06, 2014, 05:13:21 PM
Hmm ... gnosticism is really a taxonomic way of grouping together ancient sects and groups with certain beliefs and characteristics.  It's not really a standalone religion you would convert to (?)

It is, actually.  I don't really know what the formal name is of their sect or whatever, but they call themselves Gnostic.  The church (?) has locations all over Latin America.  My sister in law and her husband joined up in Argentina after they went through their hippie phase, then moved out to a center in Costa Rica.  I think they're now with one in Peru.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tonitrus

I am not sure which foreign policy failure is worse (Not just on the part of the U.S., but the civilized world as a whole), not stopping Russia in the Ukraine, or letting ISIS run wild over Mesopotamia. 

Probably the latter, as that seems more likely to reach a Rwanda-level death toll of innocents.

Admiral Yi

I wonder what THE Islamic State's military secret is.  They only have around 15,000 armed men, but they're beating up modern armies that are vastly larger.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2014, 10:43:22 PM
I wonder what THE Islamic State's military secret is.  They only have around 15,000 armed men, but they're beating up modern armies that are vastly larger.

I suppose, like all outnumbered albeit ideologically-driven insurgencies, it all comes down to motivation.   The burning desire to chop off heads will always trump the peanuts a conscript gets paid.

""An army of the people is invincible."
--Chairman Mao

"For who? For what?"
--RB Ricky Watters, Philadelphia Eagles

DGuller

Yeah, but still, one would think that when your skin is on the line, ideology wouldn't matter as much.  It's not like they're going to go "Fuck Assad, I'm going to get my head chopped off instead".

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2014, 11:18:19 PM
Yeah, but still, one would think that when your skin is on the line, ideology wouldn't matter as much.  It's not like they're going to go "Fuck Assad, I'm going to get my head chopped off instead".

Well, I am sure it is more like "Fuck Assad, I am getting my ass out of here".  If they end up with their head cut off anyway, that is just bad luck.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on August 06, 2014, 07:29:05 PM
i think it has to do with heightened standard. no one cares when two ghetto thugs kill each other. people care more when an attorney or doctor commits murder

Israel is standing its ground.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on August 06, 2014, 08:06:09 PM
Can we give the Kurds the H-Bomb to keep the Arabs out of their land?

That might result in there no longer being any arabs.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2014, 11:18:19 PM
I think they have a lot more men now. I've read they have 20,000just in Iraq now.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point