The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

I'd say certain cultures are predisposed  to honor commitments even when doing so is not expedient.  Others aren't.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

I'm confused.  Respect for contracts and a vibrant commercial culture are quite common in the Arab world.  Whatever problems that exist in that part of the world havenothing to do with that.  Also as a citizen of a country whose political class twice took the nation to the brink of default due to sheer idiocy, I'm not so sold on the unique ability of western politicians to stand boldly above the fray for the sake of honor and the public weal.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 20, 2014, 09:01:19 AM
Unless Newt is a dark horse to become Iraqi PM, I'm not sure I see the connection between political process and contract law.

Because deals, if reached, only hold as long as the crisis motivating the deal remains. If there is no longer a risk of sunni nutjobs breaking Iraq Maliki will dump any concessions he's made to the Sunnis to get them to stop letting the Sunni nutjobs breaking Iraq.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

PJL

Quote from: Viking on June 20, 2014, 10:59:59 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on June 20, 2014, 09:01:19 AM
Unless Newt is a dark horse to become Iraqi PM, I'm not sure I see the connection between political process and contract law.

Because deals, if reached, only hold as long as the crisis motivating the deal remains. If there is no longer a risk of sunni nutjobs breaking Iraq Maliki will dump any concessions he's made to the Sunnis to get them to stop letting the Sunni nutjobs breaking Iraq.

That's why we shouldn't help while Mailiki is in power. Which seems to be the current US policy at the moment.

Anyway,now Al-Sistani is calling for a unity government. Which means Maliki may well be leaving anyway.

Admiral Yi

Sistani is the Grand Imperial Towelhead, right?  That guy is great, deserved a Nobel.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 20, 2014, 11:11:29 AM
Sistani is the Grand Imperial Towelhead, right?  That guy is great, deserved a Nobel.

He's the guy who tried to convince Sadr that the Americans were giving the country to the Shiites and that Sadr should stop trying to kill them. Yes, The Grand Imperial Towelhead that the guys in Iran (who studied at Qom) should be bowing to.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

I thought Iran had their own.  Is this like the Orthodox Church where every country has their grand imperial...erm...long beard?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2014, 12:14:43 PM
I thought Iran had their own.  Is this like the Orthodox Church where every country has their grand imperial...erm...long beard?

Well, yes, running with that analogy, think of Sistani as the Patriarch of Constantinople in a Restored Byzantine Empire.

PJL

In retrospect, we should have made Iraq run along Iranian lines, with Sistani being the Supreme Leader. It probably would have been the best option.

Valmy

Quote from: PJL on June 20, 2014, 12:28:35 PM
In retrospect, we should have made Iraq run along Iranian lines, with Sistani being the Supreme Leader. It probably would have been the best option.

It is one thing to support theocracies and dictatorships, it is another to install one ourselves.  Just not possible.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

The problem is that the Iranian constitution is based on rather peculiar interpretation of Shi'ite theology, such that many of the highest ranking Iranian ayatollahs never fully endorsed it, and a few bigwigs ended up being placed under house arrest or otherwise silenced.  That is also why a third-rate theologian like Khamenei could end up Supreme Leader.  Sistani is the real deal and would not have signed on to an Iranian-style constitutional arrangement.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 20, 2014, 01:35:11 PM

The problem is that the Iranian constitution is based on rather peculiar interpretation of Shi'ite theology, such that many of the highest ranking Iranian ayatollahs never fully endorsed it, and a few bigwigs ended up being placed under house arrest or otherwise silenced.  That is also why a third-rate theologian like Khamenei could end up Supreme Leader.  Sistani is the real deal and would not have signed on to an Iranian-style constitutional arrangement.

Khamenei is actually a bit sensitive about his lack of credentials. There are quite a lot of imams in Qom under house arrest for having pointed that out.

Sheilbh

Yeah and it was what Mousavi meant saying Iran was no longer an Islamic Republic, just a Republic.
Let's bomb Russia!